Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3 Door Vs 5 Door

SaveOurSouls

Hi,

I'm test driving a 1.33 2012 Yaris tomorrow which has 3 doors only I'm coming from a 5 door Avensis and I'm wondering as to what it's like with three doors and a six year old. Theres only myself and my son that will be in the car the majority of the time so I feel its something that may not be too much of a problem.

Has anyoyne any experience of the 3-door version around the same year?

I'm also wondering as to whether or not 18k miles is a bit low for a 2012 Yaris as that would equate to 4.5k miles a year.

Regards,

Connor

Although we haven't had a Yaris, of the 18 new cars we've had, six have been three door and the rest five door.

A couple of general points, which depending how and where one uses the car, may be worth consideration:

1. As the doors of a 3 door car are longer, this can be an issue if the car is garaged, when parked in a car park between cars, parked alongside a wall, etc. In such circumstances, when the door is open, the available space between the door and the B pillar to exit/enter the car isn't as wide as with a five door car with shorter doors. For those who are larger around areas such as the hips, stomach, etc, this may not always give easy access.

2. When the rear seats are folded forwards the luggage area is more easily accessible in a five door, as one can access the area more directly from the side using the rear doors as well as from the tailgate.

If you're strapping and unstrapping a youngster into the back of a car, it's easier to do it from the back doors of a 5-door than the doors of a 3-door.

Some good points thanks. After looking at images of both the 3 door and 5 door I'm preferring the look of the 3 door so now I'm almost talking myslef into it lol. Generally parking within the child spaces when out and about and at work the parking spaces are big enough.

It's not often I need to put the rear seats down. One thing I hadn't given much consideration was the fact that I may no longer be able to fit a full size bicycle in the car, I tend to drive out to different locations in summer with the bike in the back. I feel a bike rack may be a requirement come summer :O

If you're strapping and unstrapping a youngster into the back of a car, it's easier to do it from the back doors of a 5-door than the doors of a 3-door.

I have considered this but then for the majority I have the little one climb in to the car and then get myself in the car before reaching over to buckle him in. May seem illogical to some but with UK weather being as it is standing outside whilst its cold and raining is no fun lol

Went with the five door in the end. On taking a look at the 3-door it felt quite restrictive in the back and as if it had been designed with occasional passenger use in mind. I also found that after some negotiationg that I could afford an early 2014 model rather than an early 2012 plus with the added bonus of being an Icon+ rather than the TR of the 2012 model.

I could certain envisage the 3 doors being a struggle if using the back seats on a daily basis and having a child in a seat. I'm pretty excited to say the least as the 2014 Yaris will be a whole 10 years newer than my 2004 Avensis :o (Newest car I will have owned from purchase date)

Enjoy, particularly the thrust that comes in around 3-3.5K RPM, although don't be discouraged by the apparent misfire around 80MPH in third, it's the rev limiter!

• Like 1

Enjoy, particularly the thrust that comes in around 3-3.5K RPM, although don't be discouraged by the apparent misfire around 80MPH in third, it's the rev limiter!

Haha, I plan to go a bit easier on this car. I had a lead foot with my Avensis.

That and the Yaris is on PCP so will need to be kept in good condiion.

Congratulations on your new car - I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

• Like 1

Good choice; I went with a 3-door originally and quickly started to regret it when ferrying other people around. It got so annoying that when a 5-door appeared I flogged my 3-door to my brother and bought it :lol:

The 5-door is just so much more practical!

Good choice; I went with a 3-door originally and quickly started to regret it when ferrying other people around. It got so annoying that when a 5-door appeared I flogged my 3-door to my brother and bought it :lol: The 5-door is just so much more practical!

I had came to the same conclusion whilst sat in the three door. I thought "I'm going to be using this on a daily basis and I can't see myself reaching back there to buckle a seatbelt like I did in my Avensis." At that point 3 1/2 years of dealing with three doors seemed much less appealing.

In regards to the USB socket I'm presuming that it reads anything that is treated as a storage device? (I'm thinking a large USB stick loaded with MP3's). Failing that I'll simply use my phone via AUX and load up Spotify. Is the 2012 Yaris fitted with an alarm? I cannot see mention of an alarm anywhere.

Most cars nowadays aren't fitted with a separate alarm as up to date deadlocking and immobiliser systems are thought to be effective enough. My 2009 and 2012 Auris didn't have separate alarms - although conversely our 2015 Hyundai i20 has.

I use an 8gb Kingston USB flash drive in my Auris without any problems - see the 16gb version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-16GB-DataTraveler-Micro/dp/B007V9U81E/ref=sr_1_19?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1453239570&sr=1-19&keywords=8gb+usb+stick

Most cars nowadays aren't fitted with a separate alarm as up to date deadlocking and immobiliser systems are thought to be effective enough. My 2009 and 2012 Auris didn't have separate alarms - although conversely our 2015 Hyundai i20 has.

I use an 8gb Kingston USB flash drive in my Auris without any problems - see the 16gb version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-16GB-DataTraveler-Micro/dp/B007V9U81E/ref=sr_1_19?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1453239570&sr=1-19&keywords=8gb+usb+stick

Yeah I had thought that may be the case in regards to the alarm. I was asking mainly for insurance reasons, thanks for clarifying. Seems theres plenty of media options as standard these days, far cry from using a cassette to aux like in my Avensis (terrible sound quality).

Edit: 64GB Sandisk Micro for £13.99, I can fit my entire music collection on that thing! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Fit-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-064G-B35/dp/B00FJRS6QY/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1453241425&sr=1-6&keywords=64gb+micro+usb

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links