Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Questions on my new rav

Goggy

Hi 

I have had Rav 4"s since 1998 a 4.1 & 4.2 I have now got a 4.3 Petrol Auto. the previous 2 had full time 4x4 but this one hasn't 

As i do not have the drivers manual please can someone answer a few questions ?

1: How does the system work? 

2: How do i Know when its in 4 wheel drive?

3: And what does the button on the dash with the 4x4 symbol do?

and lastly is it as good as the full time 4 x 4 of older models?

Thanks in advance  

Sorry, no RAV here but can you not download the driver's manual from Toyota?

On the 4.3 there is an electronically controlled gismo that automatically engages the 4 wheel drive system when needed - I'm not going to pretend to know how it works. The car starts off from rest in 4 wheel drive mode - 50 : 50 split - and under normal conditions the system progressively transfers power to the front wheels so that by the time you are doing in excess of 25 mph the car is purely front wheel drive. If at any time you start to lose front wheel grip it will transfer power to the back wheels again. As you will appreciate already you can't tell when it is doing this - it just works - but you will notice if you really need the extra grip.

The button on the dash 'instructs' the automatic system to stay in 4 wheel drive mode and not transfer power forward. During the time I had a 4.3 I never found a use / need for the button (and Toyota have deleted it altogether from the 4.4).

I never had a 4.1 or 4.2 so I can't compare but the electronically control system works seamlessly and automatically so I find it hard to imagine that 'permanent' 4 wheel drive would be better ...

Thanks Philip,

I will let you know if its as good as the 4.2 when the snow comes :biggrin:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links