Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

wobble 55-65mph - loose inner CV housing - LH side - Avensis 2.0D4D TR

leem2209

Hey All,

I've been having a problem for a while with some wobble that seems to have got worse.

It wasn't too much of an issue at first.

I had new tyres and got balancing done an all wheels which seemed fine. I got tracking done too as it needed it but wobble was still there.

It also had to go in for repairs after getting rear ended. I asked them to check over the car see if they could see anything... nothing.

Also had brakes done not so long ago. Asked him to check over too see if he could see anything wrong... nothing.

So now it got to the point where it was getting pretty bad. It was causing my ipod to shuffle songs when I accelerated around 60mph! haha

Got down and had a look over weekend and found my drive rod (lh side) had a lot of play when wheel removed and no weight.

Further checks today found my inner CV housing loose where it meets the gearbox. 

I could not pull the CV housing out for further checks. No suitable tools and car only on axle stands so access was difficult.

QUESTION>>>>

Is there a bearing between the gearbox housing and the CV housing? I suspect it's a collapsed bearing. I can see signs of gearbox oil leak from there too. I've had to top that up twice in 6 months (not drastically but has been low)

Advice appreciated! I think it's going to be popped into the garage tomorrow...

Mark

Edited by leem2209
spelling mistake

• 6 months later...

Hi Leem,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm just about to pull the left driveshaft out - as I have a shake at 55 - 75mph...

Any advice much appreciated!!

Cheers

Nick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links