Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Sensor - diagram / photo

SirQuiksilver

Hi all, searched out a similar post about this back in 2013, but it got no reply, so am going to open my own here.

I've just installed a Pioneer headunit, and one of the cables from it requires a connection to the "Power Supply side, of the parking break switch", so that numerous features and functions are enabled while you're parked.

Before I start ripping away trim to get to the handbrake switch, can anyone tell me where that is, so I can target my attack??

SPH-DA120 Installation p10.png

The switch is almost certain to be located on the hand brake mounting structure, almost where it is shown on your diagram.

Auris Handbrake Switch 01.jpg

Thanks Tom, that's a decent photo! Any idea how to identify which wire is Ground and which is Power, once i've found it?

Instead of putting half of your car apart, just to plug it in the handbrake's jack, why don't you just short circuit it with a paperclip, fooling the HU this way that the HB is always applied, so you can have these features available at all times?

If it works i'm for it!

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but short what to what? The handbrake cable from the HU to the chassis with a paperclip?

I have the same. Just attach the wire to a ground source or the outside of the head unit. This will allow the functions to be active all the time. Its what I have done.

• 2 weeks later...

My pioneer needs a positive feed to tell it the handbrake is on. I personally went a bit far and by passed this using a relay....

But i do believe with Pioneer head units you can just splice it into a positive feed. So either connect it to your 12v+ ignition feed or even easier, your headunits wire that goes to an external amp, Blue/White

The unit sends out a 12v supply to external amps to tell it to switch on. So connect the Handbrake light green (which is an input) cable to that.

Untitled-1.jpg

12.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links