Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo top up engine oil recommendation?

fordulike

28 minutes ago, Vandals01 said:

All Toyota Aygo MK1 (2005 - 2014) Manuals from Toyota's website states 0W20.

No. Toyota's Optimal Drive engines were introduced in 2009, and from that date 0W-20 became Toyota's preferred oil for those cars. The same applied to other petrol models when Optimal Drive engines were introduced (Auris, Yaris, etc).

Pre-Optimal Drive the preferred oil was 5W-30, and as the member's car is a 2008 model, it is this oil which is Toyota's preference.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No. Toyota's Optimal Drive engines were introduced in 2009, and from that date 0W-20 became Toyota's preferred oil for those cars. The same applied to other petrol models when Optimal Drive engines were introduced (Auris, Yaris, etc).

Pre-Optimal Drive the preferred oil was 5W-30, and as the member's car is a 2008 model, it is this oil which is Toyota's preference.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm talking about the Manuals on Toyota Website: https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/manuals

Click on Toyota Aygo -> 2005 - 2014

There are 4 Manuals on it's web.  Every single one of them states 0W20.

3 minutes ago, Vandals01 said:

There are 4 Manuals on it's web.  Every single one of them states 0W20.

But these manuals are for the Aygo models from 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively - after the Optimal Drive engines were introduced (which was in 2009).

17 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

But these manuals are for the Aygo models from 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively - after the Optimal Drive engines were introduced (which was in 2009).

That makes sense, because it does have a "filter by year"  from 2011 to 2014...

But will it cause any engine damage if it was filled with 0W20?  I honestly don't think so.

Either way, given 5w30 will likely cost less than 0w20.  I would definitely use 5w30 for top up.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:23 AM, Saides said:

On this subject I was "informed" that replacing the oil not topping up  but dumping the sump completely and filling up with 5(?) litres of oil is the best long term measure for me 2008  Aygo    Was he wrong this guy who advised me?

5 liters would overfill it.

It's only 2.8 liters for complete refill. 😀

That's why on this oil consuming engine (if abused, not perfectly maintained or high mileage) you need to check the oil ! If it uses 0,3 liter per 1000 km... you can't get to 10.000 km for the next garage visit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 7:37 AM, TonyHSD said:

5w30 A1 or A5 spec is the correct oil for this car. 

Thanks for that TonyHSD 

Well it was actually out of my hands on the day but got that anyway  - it says type 5w30 on the receipt.
I took it down to the local guys Atlas and made it very clear to them, I wanted them to dump the old stuff completely and put new oil in
But there was a queue of 6 other customers and I had to go home in the meanwhile anyway so I didnt see anything
But I do trust them theyve never done me wrong over 3 yrs using them.

and thanks to all of you giving me advice!

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 1:17 PM, Vandals01 said:

But will it cause any engine damage if it was filled with 0W20?  I honestly don't think so.

Either way, given 5w30 will likely cost less than 0w20.  I would definitely use 5w30 for top up.

See recommendations for AygoX , Toyota's manual.

0w20 and 5w30 are both ok for certain temperatures, as mentioned.

Screenshot_20231203-091236.thumb.png.a46aad398c57439a851dec1646259e34.png

• 4 months later...

Now she has to get a clutch replacement  

Is there any possibilty of oil changes causing problems with the clutch??  maybe they left a spanner in there

Okay this sounds extremely irrational a suspicion* but parting with the guts of €700 gets me that way.

And does €700 seem too much for that job to anyone?

"... oh Lord wont you buy me a Mercedes Benz"

If that's a dealer quote that's pretty good; My one wanted £1200 for a clutch on my old diesel Yaris!

I think the Aygo is easier to do a clutch change on so may be cheaper, but manual clutches are something almost any garage can do so is worth hunting around if you don't want to pay more, esp. if you know a trusted mechanic or reputable garage. There's very little reason to pay the high per-hour prices of a dealer for jobs like that as they won't be any better than any experienced mechanic at it.

One thing to check is making sure it gets the right clutch - I forget what year, but on a certain age of Aygos they started fitting Yaris clutches, because the factory-spec ones turned out to be too small and wore down much faster than even Toyota considered reasonable.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links