Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo top up engine oil recommendation?

fordulike

I want to purchase a good quality 1 litre bottle of engine oil, just in case I ever need to top up in the future.

After looking in the user handbook, it says to use 0W-20. Just seems an odd choice of grade, so can someone confirm that Toyota dealers definitely use this grade when servicing Aygos please. Not that I'm doubting, just wondered if anything has changed, manufacturer wise, since they printed the user handbooks.

2016-06-30-202.jpg

0W-20 has been Toyota's preferred oil for petrol engines since late 2008. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

0W-20 has been Toyota's preferred oil for petrol engines since late 2008. 

Many thanks FROSTYBALLS, that's good to know.

Lucky I didn't trust the Halford's oil selector thingy, as it threw up 5W-30.

A quick Google on 0W-20 oils, appears to suggest that they are all fully synthetic. Is that right, and is that due to the high working range these oils have to endure?

• Like 1

This is strange. I've a Peugeot 107 (2010) and Peugeot recommend 5w-30 oil for the engine. And as far as I know, the engine is identical to that used in the Toyota Aygo.

So how can two manufacturers of the same car have such different thoughts regarding the oil? For record I've only ever used 5w30 and I've have no issues with it.

• Like 1

The 1.0 litre engine used in the Aygo/C1/107/108 (and IQ, Yaris and some Daihatsu models) is a Toyota unit. In recent years, Toyota owners manuals state clearly that 0W-20 is the preferred oil for petrol engines. The manuals go on to say that:

"0W-20 is filled into your vehicle at manufacturing and is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If 0W-20 is not available, 5W-30 may be used. However it should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change."

Under Block Exemption, no manufacturer can stipulate that dealers must use a specific oil - hence 0W-20 is Toyota's preference -  and some Toyota dealers do use 5W-30.

If PSA use 5W-30 in their other cars, it obviously makes sense for them and their dealers to continue using that grade of oil, rather than using a different grade just for the C1/107/108. That is their choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fordulike said:

Lucky I didn't trust the Halford's oil selector thingy, as it threw up 5W-30.

A quick Google on 0W-20 oils, appears to suggest that they are all fully synthetic. Is that right, and is that due to the high working range these oils have to endure?

The Toyota Formula XS that I have is synthetic. Got it from a dealer's eBay shop (think it was Burrows).

Got it for topping up when I had my 2009 Auris - and not needed to use any in either my 2009 nor my 2012 Auris. 

Could send Parts King a personal message to ask how much he can do the oil for.

Also see:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-1-Litre-Toyota-0W20-Formula-Xs-Motor-Oil-/360469226760

Could also have a look at 

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/search/go?w=0W-20+oil+1+litre

• Like 1

But what I mean is there can't be that much of a performance issue with that oil and the car if the two manufacturers recommend two different oil types. I know they can only recommend them, but if the oil made that big of a difference there would be concensus across the manufacturers?

Thanks for the eBay link. Will grab a bottle of that. Good to know it's the same stuff that the dealers put in.

21 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

But what I mean is there can't be that much of a performance issue with that oil and the car if the two manufacturers recommend two different oil types. I know they can only recommend them, but if the oil made that big of a difference there would be concensus across the manufacturers?

The one time a dealer used 5W-30 in my previous Auris - which has the same oil preference - there was a small, but noticeable, drop in mpg. 

For PSA it is probably a question of economics - as stated previously - and, to be honest, I would prefer to take the word of Toyota, whose engine it is, rather than PSA.

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

On this subject I was "informed" that replacing the oil not topping up  but dumping the sump completely and filling up with 5(?) litres of oil is the best long term measure for me 2008  Aygo    Was he wrong this guy who advised me?
He said he had owned a range of small to medium toyotas including his CHX  but I only have his word on that. At the time I didnt think to ask him 🤦‍♂️ what type of oil
- but since 0W-20 is what is mentioned here I trust that thats the right stuff 
  Later I found it was not definitely the recommended oil
 Im going with 5W-30 (so I deleted my screenshot of  0W-20)

Thats not for a 2004 car you better off going direct to a oil mfg website and entering your number plate then it come back with all oil recomendations like 5w30 or 0w30 oils.

• Like 1

Hi Derek & thanks
any suggestion for that manufacturers website ?
Obviously toyotas but there are a few google suggestions and which of them have that number plate checker?

11 minutes ago, Saides said:

Hi Derek & thanks
any suggestion for that manufacturers website ?

Try Castrol website or the oil brand you intend to use.

• Like 1

Okay thanks 
& sorry to everyone for the spammy mess up there

Found Castrols web okay thanks D

this is what they recommended
Curiously not 0W20

Screen Shot 11-11-23 at 11.57 PM.PNG

• Like 1

This is the Owner's Manual for Toyota Aygo MK1 (2005-2014) pulled from Toyota's website:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/manuals#/pdf/PZ49X-99G80-EN Page 350.

"SAE 0w-20 is filled into your Toyota vehicle at manufacturing, and better choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

If SAE 0W-20 oil is not available, SAE 5W-30 oil may be used.  However.  It should be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change."

Personally, I've used both 5w30 AND 0w20 in my 2012 Aygo and I see no visible difference in term of fuel economy.  However, my Aygo (acquired in June 2021 with 47K miles on the clock) is an oil burner.  It drinks LESS oil with 0W20 C5 than 5W30 C3.  Roughly 500ml for 2000 miles on 0w20 C5 vs 800ml for 2000 miles on 5w30 C3.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 140234.png

From my experience, you do not need to use recommended oil at all time. For example:

Mini / Mazada recommends 5w30, friends put 5w40 instead but never had any issue for several years.

Peugeot recommends 0w30 PSA B71 2312, I've filled it with 5w30 C3 dexos2 in my sister 2013 Peugeot 3008 since 2017 until it was sold this year.

Hyundai recommends 10w40 on 2014 Hyundai i10, I've filled it with 5w40 then 5w30.  (Friend bought the car at 2017 with 40K, now 2023 with 100K on the clock).

NOTE: Oil quality is the Key -  I only use API SN or Above.  Also, as long as the weight ( w ) isn't far off, most engine can live with it.

The only exception is Volkswagen / Audi / Seat / Skoda which I always stick to 5w30 VW 504/507.  Can it use regular 5w30?  Probably.  However, having heard horror stories regarding Volkswagen engine, I don't want any risk.

Rather than oil grades, it is much more important to change the oil regularly.  Personally, I change my oil and filter every 5000-6000 miles.  For friends, I recommend 6000-8000.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vandals01 said:

API SN

Whats that?
Can you post an image of the container or something please  

38 minutes ago, Saides said:

Whats that?

API = American Petroleum Institute Ratings

SN category (introduced in October 2010) is an improvement over the API SM category in the following areas:

• High temperature deposit protection for pistons
  • Better sludge control
  • Better seal compatibility
  • Aftertreatment compatibility

image.thumb.png.134024aa0acc31082c8d662e926ba02f.png

After SN, there is SP which was Introduced on 1st May 2020.  Covers everything in SN plus extra protection against wear on timing chain, pre-ignition and deposit formation.

Europe had similar thing: ACEA - European Automobile Manufacturers' Association ratings that goes from:

• A1 to A5 for Petrol
  • B1 to B5 for Diesel
  • C1 to C6 for low SAPS (Prevent Diesel particulate filters from clog-up by additives in the Engine oil)

However, ACEA is confusing and people just doesn't pay attention to it besides the C category.

• Like 1

Toyota only use viscosity and API spec when stating oil requirements.

The owners manual page linked to earlier is for a later model Aygo, and doesn't apply to the 2008 model.

For a 2008 Aygo the oil requirement is 5W-30 to API SL, SM or SN. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saides said:

Whats that?

API standards >> Check source

All Toyota Aygo MK1 (2005 - 2014) Manuals from Toyota's website states 0W20.

Sure, some old printed books before 2008 may say 5W30 otherwise.

Will it kill my engine if I put 0w20 instead of 5w30?  No.  In fact, if temperature allows, you can even use 20W50 according to Toyota.

Rather than the weight of the oil, what's MORE important is the API rating (which you will find on most oil).

Every single manual (even the one printed before 2008) says the oil has to be:

• API SL
  • API SM
  • API SN

API SP is a new standard that covers everything in SN plus extras, so that's good as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links