Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How do I reset my engne maintenance light?

Astroclaire

My engine light came on a few weeks back after having a new alternator fitted, got a friend to look under the bonnet for me and she said it was because they knocked the carbon flter off. Now I should say here I'm pretty stupid when to comes to cars, never been interested in driving one until last year when I got to 30. Anyway, I took her word for as she use to be a mechanic, she told me I could reset the light myself instead of paying someone to do it but I cannot fnd anywhere onlne how to actually do it. I've found videos for new Yars' but mine is a Y reg so the 95-01 model. Can anyone help?

My engine light came on a few weeks back after having a new alternator fitted, got a friend to look under the bonnet for me and she said it was because they knocked the carbon flter off. Now I should say here I'm pretty stupid when to comes to cars, never been interested in driving one until last year when I got to 30. Anyway, I took her word for as she use to be a mechanic, she told me I could reset the light myself instead of paying someone to do it but I cannot fnd anywhere onlne how to actually do it. I've found videos for new Yars' but mine is a Y reg so the 95-01 model. Can anyone help?

Hi there,

You have 2 options, the first you can buy a cheap OBD reader. Plug that into the OBD socket with the engine running and read the code before resetting it. The second option is to disconnect the Battery for 30 minutes and the reconnect.

The second option will probably give you poorer mpg, while the computer clocks up the next 500 miles.

I would say a code reader is a better option, if the light comes back on, you can then check if the light is caused by the same error code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where would I get a code reader from? Also my car is booked in to be MOT'd tomorrow, is t worth just asking them to do it?

eBay is probably the cheapest source, I'd ask them how much they would charge for doing that first. A basic scanner wouldn't cost more than 15-20 quid, so you can decide tomorrow how you want to proceed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a scanner off eBay for fifteen quid. Local garages wanted fifty quid to read my codes and couldn't do it for a week. Scanner arrived within a couple of days and indicated the problem as a sensor. Forty quid for a new sensor and I've still got the scanner.

You can get things that plug into the OBD port and communicate wirelessly  with a smartphone or tablet for less, but being a dinosaur I don't have such technology. They do show much more info, including live data: http://tinyurl.com/hw7sgon

I'm techy but useless at cars! I wouldn't have much of a clue where to even plug the thing in, although I do love a challenge. I may look in to getting a code reader though, seems like a good lttle money saver

These days there are plenty of YouTube videos where you can see where to plug the reader in and how to use it.

You can even get a little plugin gadget and use a modern smart phone. To do the same as the reader.

You never know, it might come in handy for friends or family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Astroclaire said:

I'm techy but useless at cars! I wouldn't have much of a clue where to even plug the thing in, although I do love a challenge. I may look in to getting a code reader though, seems like a good lttle money saver

The socket is required by 'regulations' to be in reach of someone in the driver's seat, so they are usually somewhere around the bottom of the dash near the steering column.

When buying try to check with the supplier that it will function well with your car. Although most will read most codes from most cars, when it comes to resetting them it can be hit or miss.

Thanks for the replies!! Disconnected my Battery yesterday and it seemed to have worked, light went off as soon as I started my engine :D Still failed the MOT though, first time I've ever had to go through that and I must say I'm not looking forward to doing it again!!! Luckily, £89 to fix the two small issues and no advisory notes so not too bad I guess.

Keep us updated to find out if that method has impacted your mpg.

Can I just ask how it would affect my mpg? Sorry if that's a silly question.

After the Battery has been removed, the ECU looses it's settings and it has to set itself up. You may find the car feels quicker and more thirsty, while you drive for the next 500 miles, as the ECU learns/sets up.

On my previous Corolla the mpg was 27 at first after the reset and then it was back to the usual 40, by the time it had done 500 miles.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links