Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3 Questions I Have Been Meaning To Ask...But Havent Got Around To Since Ownership...And Now I Am!

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys,

Okay, so we've had our 2010 Avensis 2.0 Diesel T4 since January 2016, she has 64500 on her clock, and drives like a dream, she's had no major issues so far...touch wood, other than requiring a set of new tyres and rear pad change. She's awaiting her first mot and service since being in our ownership come September. She is covered under the extended Toyota warranty which provides some peace of mind.

The reason for my posting

1. We notice a slight smell of diesel in the vehicle, its apparent all the time, admittedly its our first diesel, is this normal? Up until this vehicle we've never smelt diesel as a fuel, cant say i like it much!

2. We've noticed on longer journeys, hot air seems to constantly blow through from some where, mainly feet side, on a hot day its uncomfortable, having the air con on cools it down, but then its apparent again. Bare in mind btw this is hot air with everything switched off at the dials.

3. Final niggle, our rear number plate bulbs need replacing, we would like to go with led versions, however looking at the units that house the bulbs, im finding difficult to find an led bulb that would fit in or one that is the same size as a standard t10 501 bulb. Does anybody know whether we would requite Error Free version led bulbs on this vehicle?

Any help or advice on the above would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Sammy :wub:

Did you mean to score through all of those, Sammy?

1. No (unless you have got some on your hands when filling up). Can you tell if it is stronger in the front/back etc.? Perhaps had a can in the boot & a spill?

2. I imagine that in a T4 you have the dual climate control rather than basic a/c? I have never noticed that behaviour but then again I must admit that I never have everything off - it's always set for ~17C (even with AC off) & the fan on even if only at a low speed.

Hi Heidfirst,

lol, i did try to score all 3 bless!

With the smell issue, its none of the above that you listed, its a smell thats apparent...only slightly...as if its coming to through the vents...its apparent more at the front but also to the rear. 

With the heat issue, we do have the dual system, with everything completely OFF on a long journey...hot air seems to blow out of the bottom footwells and must come from some where.

I notice that you didnt score on the rear plate bulbs lol.

Thank you for the input matey.

I wonder if 1 & 2 are linked? Something letting air through into cabin from engine bay?

I didn't comment on the 3rd point for a no. of reasons:

a quick Google threw up loads of LED bulbs that looked OK sizewise.

I suspect that you don't need CANbus bulbs for the no. plate as it's not exactly a critical system. ;)

Strictly speaking replacing with LEDs isn't legal as the fitting won't have been certificated/homologated with them. Also, when I was researching something a while ago I came across that apparently at least one insurance company had refused a claim because the no. plate bulbs (or reverse, can't really remember) had been changed to LED & they hadn't been informed ... :rolleyes:

Sam, with the dual heating and ventilation system retains the setup when last used, even when switched off. 

Now if the system is not adjusting when you have the system on, something must be wrong.

I found this and tested this on my car a while back -  http://www.cardiagnostics.be/-now/Self Diagnose Toyota Corolla ECC-panel.htm

Since everything is electronic a flap motor may be stuck. You should hear the flap motors when selecting a setting. 

The diesel smell could be a number of things, get it checked.

The LED bulbs are something I would like to use for non-critical jobs. My car is standard because it is more hassle than it is worth. I had LED front side lights on my Mk1, because the standard versions kept blowing after nearly a year. Insurance companies use any legal loophole not pay out, but LED's are not completely certified as replacements.

Can't say if Toyota need error corrected LED but I will think yes.

Konrad

I'd guess that with the heater switched off the vents won't be closed.  Therefore the ram effect of the car's forward motion will push air through whichever vents are open.  Does it still blow in air if the heater is set to recirculate before it's switched off?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links