Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Understanding beeps

MetManMark

Evening all

Our car beeps at us. We can usually work out why -upcoming speed cameras when driving speed or getting close to objects when parking. However we always have to think about it.Particularly when parking it would be good to know which corner was getting close to an object. If there a way for the warning sounds to be supplemented by a graphic on the screen? I am hoping that there is Screen option that I have yet to find that I can activate.

I typically have the central dash display set as a digital speedometer as I find the dial pretty rubbish. The dash is the one thing that I am really disappointed by. As it is I never use the regular speedo do it is essentially a waste of space. In contrast my mum's old yaris has a fab central display... Rant over.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Would have thought that the main reason for the Yaris originally having a central display was that it was cheaper to produce in terms of dashboard mouldings. One relatively small angled instrument binnacle for RHD, and one for LHD, instead of two large, handed dashboard mouldings.

Same reasoning behind the adoption of ISO standards for positioning of the indicator, headlamp and wiper controls in the late '70's. Which meant that right hand drive vehicles were lumbered with the same control layout as left hand drive vehicles. So UK drivers had to use the same hand (the left hand) for gearchanging and indicating.

does the Auris TS not have a reversing camera?

19 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

does the Auris TS not have a reversing camera?

Mine does! 

And my (pre-facelift) car also produces an over-riding graphic that displays which sensor thinks something is close. The graphic reverts to the previously selected info once either the object goes out of distance or P is selected. 

That graphic displays on the panel between the dials. 

The sensors have an excessively long range! I'm sure this is for the auto=parking system, but there shouldn't be the need for the beep to go continuous when there is still plenty clearance. It panics every time I come into the driveway! 

Being a bit tone-deaf I can't say for certain, but I think there might be a slight difference in the pitch of the beeps from front and rear. If there is an audio cue that its a corner rather than a central sensor that is alarming, I'm afraid its lost on me. Now, if they would just use 4 internal beepers (or route it through the speakers) one could tell quite simply where the beep was 'coming from'. If that is an original idea, I can only hope I'll get recompensed when someone pinches it! 

Morning all

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting to know that the indicator location is an ISO thing. I didn't realise that. I seem to remember as a child Dad complaining about driving a hire car on holiday in which the controls were the other way around to our Saab and bring somewhat put off by it...

Irrespective of the reason I think the dash is the weakest part of the car. The analogue spedo is rubbish which is rectified by using the digital one but this means that the dosage taken up by the analogue spedo is now wasted.

Our car is a post facelift touring sport. It does come with a reversing camera which I find handy. I typically park nose in so the beepers sound from the front or side sensors. And I'd like to know which it is! Hopefully this is just a simple setting I have yet to discover. Going up to Heathrow the other week in a hire car we had this info displayed on the central panel whenever anything got close. This was somewhat irritating though as it kept sounding when we were in traffic jams and it was typically cars approaching from behind which we had no control over!

Mark

I have 2013 touring excel with camera and front and rear sensors, as well as he graphics in the centre dash.  If you turn off the sensor (right of steering wheel) 2) when in tragic you don't get the beep... just remember to turn back on when parking.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links