Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV 4.2 Driver's door mirror adjustment issue

IanML

When the car came back from some repair work under guarantee, I noticed that the mirror was showing me more car than the road behind, so I used the control to swivel it to the right (RHD car), but it hits the stop and "ticks" before it gets to the ideal position.  I didn't notice this issue before, so I wonder whether something had happened to misalign it, or whether that is as good as it gets and I just didn't notice it before?

I have checked that the mirror arm is not partially folded in.  It seems to be correctly located in its end stop.

It is possible the wrong mirror has been fitted I have seen a case where the RH mirror was replaced but it was actually for a LHD car and whilst the mirror fitted and seemed normal the actual resting place of the mirror head was at the wrong angle and the glass couldnt be adjusted far enough to be useful.

When the mirror glass reaches the end of its travel and starts 'clicking' stop the adjustment and gently press one edge or other of the mirror glass to move it out or in depending if the view through the mirror is too near the car or too near the road.  This will then give you a centred mirror with remote adjustment available both in and out. You should then be able to move the glass with the electric control to get the correct adjustment.

The mirror glass was probably knocked by the garage and not reset. I have done this in the past when being too enthusiastic when cleaning the mirror glass.

Bryan

Many thanks for the replies.  I think it probably is a mirror for a LHD car, but I have tried Bryan's suggestion, and it has bought me a little more rotation, so the the angle is now acceptable (just).  Bearing in mind the cost of a replacement mirror, I will leave it at that for the moment.  

If a bargain mirror turns up on eBay, I may splash out at that time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links