Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

SIPA : automatic parking (in parking lot) - it can do it ?

haelewyn

Hi guys

I have an Auris, since one week now. 
Today i tried, on a supermarket parking lot, the SIPA system for the first time.
SIPA stands for Simple Intelligent park assist. The automatic parking system...

So, i tried the parking on a parking lot where cars are parked in a 90 degree angle with traffic, not just in the direction of traffic.

Strange, but the Auris parked 2 times in the traffic direction, taking up 2 pasking spaces this way. Rather ridiculous looking too..
Me as well as the car.
I tried to read the manual about it but it didn't speak about parking on a parking lot. Only showed images of parking in direction of traffic.
Is there something i can do to tell the car i want it to park in a 90 degree angle  ? I assume the car can not park like that automatically ?

I mean i want to park like on the photo attached ... Not like on the drawing.

I saw with Ford cars that they have a system that also helps (automatic un-parking) to get the car out of a tight spot, ... 
I guess i can't do that with my Auris ?

SIPA.JPG

parking lot.jpg

Maybe i can start to despair .. I didn't know that the system would be so SIMPLE .. but maybe the name says it already... (?)

Guess i will need to do the parking on a shopping mall parking lot myself ... (?)

I don't mind however. Don't want to get used to technology doing all driving things for me.

SIPA2.JPG

I think that it is just designed for parallel parking as that is what people usually find hardest.

Yes, the manual describes what it does. 

It doesn't do tricks that are not described in the manual. 

It seems to be like that.

Just like you wrote that you couldnt imagine no alarm being installed on my Auris, i couldnt imagine they made a parking system that can not go in places on a parking lot.  To me, that seems really daft. 

You are right... the system wont do more than what is in the manual..   
'SIMPLE intelligent park assist' seems more a 'NOT intelligent park assist' to me. But i guess nobody was asking my opinion about it when they implemented this thing.

On other forums i read that users confirm my experience with systems like this..  You can do it faster, more precise, more smooth, in less moves and thus better yourself.

I have never tried out the system but my previous prius could Park either in a parking lot  or space or parallel and this was a much older system 2008 as opposed to my current Auris 2013

The dealer told me that the older systems could do both .. but he said Toyota was not happy with that one and decided to change it..  
No idea if that makes any sense or is even true

• 1 year later...

I utilize car parks effectively consistently daily at work and current at different circumstances—yet just for opposite parking. Living in Texas, there's never a requirement for parallel parking.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links