Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris "Tyre slipping" ?

tomtaylor

Hi, I have a 2013 Yaris that I have had for 6 months, my 3rd Yaris. When I turn from standing with the steering wheel in full or almost full lock the car moves a few feet then slips and "clunks" for want of a better word. Took it to my local Toyota dealer and they said this was normal ? Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sounds like your tyres are struggling for grip, so the wheels are turning and not catching on the tarmac like they should.

Several reasons for this. Width of the tyre, compound of the tyre (cheaper no-name tyres have harder compounds which don't grip to tarmac as easily, same with a lot of "eco" tyres), condition of the tyre, conditions of the tarmac (if it's icy, oily, wet), how much of a lead foot you've got etc.

It is normal on full lock or nearly full lock. 

My iQ does exactly the same thing, more noticeable in reverse though. It's just the very tight angles the wheels are being asked to turn and the steering geometry goes a bit out of line on full lock. I think they sacrifice perfect steering alignment on full lock for a tighter turning circle. 

You can reduce it by not using full lock but as you rarely use full lock, and if you do, it's at a very slow speed it won't do any damage.

Craig.

Yeah, I think it's normal for our smaller cars; My Mk1 does the same thing - The wheels slip more the steeper the steering angle is.

Something to do with Ackermann Angles!

The behaviour also depends on the tyre and surface - Looser surfaces make a grinding/gravelly sound, high-grip surfaces cause that 'jumping' feeling, and surfaces like smoothed concrete produce tyre squeal!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links