Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Heater Part

Miller1173

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm after a bit of advice. Our 2011 Auris developed a fault with the heater. When trying to switch mode between screen, feet etc. the heater wouldn't move so it was stuck in the feet position. We took it to the local Steven Eagell garage in Radlett, Hertfordshire where we have it regularly serviced. They had a look at it and said a cog had broken in the control mechanism. They quoted us £900.00 to replace the part. We obviously baulked at this price and asked if there was anything they could do as our 5 year warranty had only just run out the month before. They replied that (out of the goodness of their hearts) they would offer us 50% off of parts and 60% off labour. We thought ok, not overly happy but better than £900.00, that was until they then told us the original quote of £900.00 was wrong and it was now £1500.00!! We feel like we are being treated terribly by this outfit and can't believe it costs £1500.00 to replace a worn cog. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

you have to remember if the dashboard has to be removed there could be 12 hrs of labour for the removal and refitting at £100 / hr your soon getting to the £1500 originally quoted plus the cost of the part and the labour for the fitting of it,my 13 plate lexus had the ventillation system replaced and it took in total 20 hrs to remove and refit just the dash then the removal and refitting of the ventillation system.so i am not surprised with the quote received.

Undoubtedly if the dash needs removing, this is going to be costly in terms of labour - whether it is done by a main dealer or an independent. 

The 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty is there to cover some mechanical issues (not wear and tear) during the period of the warranty, and Toyota offer extended warranties to purchase for cover beyond this period.

The dealer's offer seems fair. 

You could approach Toyota GB directly and ask about a goodwill contribution, but be aware that this may be a contribution, and not the full cost of the repair, and may also adversely affect the dealer's offer.

when I had a Vauxhall Carlton or Omega (had both, can't remember which had the fault) like you I had a part in the air distribution system go. The Vx dealer said that the part was pennies but that it would take at least a whole day & the dash out to fix (£££s) - it never got fixed :wink: but at least mine wasn't stuck distributing to feet only.

You can always try another dealer & see what they say. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links