Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D intermittent power

Husbandofstinky

First of all hello everyone. This is my first foray into Toyota ownership but unfortunately things haven't been going great. Sorted out a few problems with the motor but have been trying to get to the bottom of this problem without the need for some help but now at a loss.

I have spent a lot of time looking at old threads both here and on the RAV4 forum. So no flaming please as used to forums (long term seat member - SCN)

The car is a 2004 2.0 D4D and I have known the car since new (hence why I took it on as was owned by a nice gentle lady driver doing reasonable motorway 20 mile runs to work).

The symptoms are ok when cold but as soon as it starts warming up the turbo/power is intermittent. So first ten miles or so ok then progressively deteriorates to almost no boost at full operating temperature (say 20+ miles this time of year). 4th/5th gear at 2k revs nothing and going up a hill is a pig. The occasional smoke too as the fuel goes through ala Mr Bond. Stop starting traffic is a pain too especially at junctions/roundabouts. All of this at full temp with nothing cold at the start and variable amounts in between as it gets warmer.

My problem is that there are no EML codes whatsoever. BG244 was already going through the tank when this started happening surprisingly enough. I can imagine years of cheap fuel going through by the previous owner and not a lot of revs which is (imo) needed every now and then to clear out. It had a full service last month (including fuel filter) before this all started. The pipework has all been checked for boost leaks and nothing obvious either.

My thoughts are to the EGR valve and then to the SCV valves. Hoping of course not the turbo vanes sticking. At the moment I will carry on using the car until it either breaks or throws up a code running on double dose of millers fuel additive.

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated as my local spanner brigade are now at a loss due to no codes.

Try cleaning the egr yourself it's a very easy job.that will then rule it out if it still happening.also you can get a cleaner for the turbo it's in either foam or liquid spray.then you can then try the expensive scv.is the fuel filter clean?and the proper type?

Cheers Frank

That was the next port of call. What confused me though was it did not throw up a code. Most EGR grief's throw up a light although reading on many a thread here it does not seen to do so with these old Avensis's

The fuel filter was changed last month with an OEM replacement. Please excuse the ignorance but proper type?

Nonetheless thanks for the response as confirmation from some one who knows these motors more than I does is appreciated. More of a VAG/PSA man than these Jap machines.

No problem.there is 2 different sizes for these I was once given a smaller/thinner type than the 1 that was in originally. I'm not sure if it would have any effect on the car or not I'm not too sure. Like I say the best way of checking is with the cheapest easier ways first.ie:clean egr then onto cleaning turbo.have you checked all hoses for any possibility of leaks from the air intake intercooler so on?

Pipework has all been check and appears fine. Went around all the joints with some carb cleaner. No changes to the revs.

I took the EGR off tonight and gave it a pretty good clean. Considering how bad the VAG ones can get, it wasn't too bad at all. Still brake cleaner and a brush and spent a good 20mins cleaning it opening and closing the valve. Went for a 30 mile run and it looks like its done the trick, operating as it should. Bless the old girl as its never going to win a drag race but she appears to be running fine now.

Following reviews of many a thread it was always going to be the next port of call. Many thanks nonetheless.

Initial happyness has now been tainted by the wife as she has now informed me that there's a leak under the sink. I suspect its a joint on the drinks dispenser supply to the fridge.

That can wait until tomorrow...

Have a good weekend and thank you for your thoughts.

Still happy that it appears to be sorted as only just started to learn these Toyota lumps.

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted! Now no time for talking GET UNDER THAT SINK.

👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links