Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cracked Windscreen

sparrow2

I was driving back from Brighton yesterday on the A23 and there was a sign saying "Gritting In Progress". I made sure I kept my distance from the car in front but there was a crack and this morning there is a six inch crack in the windscreen. I took it to the dealer and they say it needs replacing. Now I phoned my insurance Autoglass hot line and they will replace it for £75 charging any excess to my insurance company. They say it will not be a genuine Toyota windscreen but insist it will be just as good. I have left a message with the Toyota body shop for a quote on a genuine Toyota windscreen. What I wonder is whether the genuine Toyota windscreen would be better than the Autoglass one or not?

I have had windscreens replaced previously by my insurer, and my repairs have been OK as regards quality, etc.

Commonly insurer's glass replacement contractors don't use OE glass, which keeps costs down for the insurance company. The insurer usually also covers any scratching to the bodywork as a result of the glass damage.

Check your policy as to whether the insurer will still make a contribution if their approved contractor isn't used.

Also bear in mind that in recent years, NCD's are seldom affected by a glass claim, but one's premium may increase.

Autoglass did my iQ windscreen after it cracked and it has been great since.

They fitted a Pilkington replacement and it came with all the mountings for the rain sensor and mirror already bonded to it and the black surround is identical to the original window. Fitting was done in their depot and the fitter was very careful and let me watch as I was interested in how it was done. 

I put a bit on my thread here when it happened and further down the page is the post when it was replaced..

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/134890-an-iq-called-toya/?page=6

Craig.

Thank you for the replies. The body shop has not come back with a quote yet so I have nothing to compare against. I will give them at least until tomorrow afternoon before having my decision being made for me though lack of choice. It looks like the Autoglass one should be fine though. I noticed that even the dealership seemed to be indirectly recommending that was the way to go without specifically saying so by the way they talked to me - as if it was the obvious thing to do and why involve them! I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles and this is my first replacement windscreen and so I am unfamiliar with the procedure.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links