Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

toyota aygo 2014 interior light problem

lilactime

got a 2014 toyota aygo . the interior light or automatic steering lock is not working on the drivers door 

it will work on all other doors , is there a quick fix or is it a trip to the dealer ? thanks

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum :smile:

as for the light, check the door switch.

the steering lock should have nothing to do with the door.

Hello Peter - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Thread moved to the Aygo club.

Is yours a first generation (2005-2014) or a second generation (2014 onwards)?

If a second generation, the steering lock will engage after turning the engine switch off, and opening and then closing the (driver's) door.

14 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Is yours a first generation (2005-2014) or a second generation (2014 onwards)?

If a second generation, the steering lock will engage after turning the engine switch off, and opening and then closing the (driver's) door.

Out of interest, does the second generation have keyless start? Just wondered why they changed the steering lock to some kind of electronically activated one.

The range topping X-clusiv has Smart entry and push button start as standard, and the X-cite can be ordered with Smart entry and push button start as part of the X-tra convenience pack (also includes automatic air conditioning and automatic headlights).

Presumably the electric steering lock is linked in with the electric power steering - a lot of cars are having this feature (both our Aygo X-play and our i20 have).

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The range topping X-clusiv has Smart entry and push button start as standard, and the X-cite can be ordered with Smart entry and push button start as part of the X-tra convenience pack (also includes automatic air conditioning and automatic headlights).

Presumably the electric steering lock is linked in with the electric power steering - a lot of cars are having this feature (both our Aygo X-play and our i20 have).

Maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid, but these electronically activated gizmos worry me a little. Parking brakes and steering locks should be left to operate with good old fashioned mechanics, not electronics. God knows what chaos it would cause if an electrical glitch operated one of these at speed.

• Like 1

hi its the orange twist top of range with the starter button key less entry . bought it when it was one year old and now had it a year . i think the steering lock used to come on and soon as you opened the door same as interior light ?

the steering lock does come on thou when you lock the door . the interior light does work on all the other 3 doors .

Take it to the dealer, as should be covered under warranty. You've got nothing to lose.

Original manufacturer warranty might not be transferable to a tertiary owner?

What warrant did you get? A one year old, nearly new car should have a pretty decent warranty?!

I'm with Fordulike wrt to the electronic-isation of proven mechanical safety critical systems...

1 hour ago, lilactime said:

The steering lock does come on thou when you lock the door

According to the full owners manual (bought a hard copy when I bought my car) that is how the steering lock is supposed to work.

Presumably as you reside in Warwickshire, and the car was first registered in the UK, the Toyota GB five year/100,000 mile new car warranty should still be in force.  As regards the interior light, it could well be the driver's door switch is damaged, sticking or faulty - contact your Toyota dealer and ask them to look at it. If it is sticking or faulty I would imagine it will be covered under warranty.

• 1 month later...

Recently my 2014 x-clusiv driver's door switch has stopped working properly. You have to wiggle it for the interior light and lights left on sensor to work. It reacts fine to pressing it with your finger, so the spring is still working fine. It just doesn't respond how it should to normal door operation.

19 minutes ago, MarkyPancake said:

Recently my 2014 x-clusiv driver's door switch has stopped working properly. You have to wiggle it for the interior light and lights left on sensor to work. It reacts fine to pressing it with your finger, so the spring is still working fine. It just doesn't respond how it should to normal door operation.

Is there a question in there somewhere?  If you're asking what's wrong and how to fix it, then unscrew the door switch, clean the contact up and re-fit.

19 hours ago, alan333 said:

Is there a question in there somewhere?  If you're asking what's wrong and how to fix it, then unscrew the door switch, clean the contact up and re-fit.

I've been meaning to give this a go, but haven't got round to it yet. I had a quick look yesterday and the screw holding the switch in place is a Torx style screw and I'm not sure I've got a driver to fit it.

As the car is still under warranty, pop into a Toyota dealer and get them to sort it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links