Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 2007 XTR Petrol WD

lythamowl

Hi there.Bought this vehicle in late 2016 as I was looking for a one owner vehicle with full service history and found this one locally. The winter was mild, I don't do a high mileage and no really slippery roads so I didn't really notice whether the 4WD ever operated. However I did try to operate the lock a couple of times and nothing happened. When I checked the handbook it states the lock switch should light up with the ignition on as well as when it's locked but it doesn't. Can't be a fuse as everything else on that fuse is operational. The handbook indicates that there should be a screen warning if there's anything wrong with the 4WD operation but this isn't happening either. Anybody have any ideas or experienced anything similar. Any advice to a 4x4 novice much appreciated!

Maybe the lamp has burned out.

In any event, my understanding is that the 4WD is always operating.  The lock is only used if conditions are so bad that the fronts (or rears) are losing grip.

A 2007 XTR will be what is known locally as a 4.3. The 4.3 uses an electronically controlled system so that the car always starts of in 4wd mode and, assuming that you have good traction at all four wheels, progressively transfers power to the front wheels so that by around 25mph (and above) the RAV is a front wheel drive vehicle.

The system is automatic so that if / when one or more wheels start to loose grip power is transferred to the wheels that still have grip - its automatic and responds before the driver can work out what's happening! But you will know that the car is looking out for you as brakes are applied to stop wheels spinning and power is applied to wheels with grip - it judders a bit.

The lock button is pretty much a waste of time - in now 8 years of RAV ownership I've never had occasion to use it.

As you say:

17 hours ago, lythamowl said:

The handbook indicates that there should be a screen warning if there's anything wrong with the 4WD operation but this isn't happening either

so in all likelihood there's nothing wrong with the system at all ... 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links