Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cabin heating/cooling question

martin68

I just bought an Auris Excel 2013/14 Hybrid Estate and am wondering how is the interior cabin heated for comfort in cold weather or cooled in hot weather, does the petrol engine have to be used more for heating and aircon where otherwise it would revert more regularly to EV mode if heaters or aircon are off ? 

Or is the heater and aircon electric or Hybrid too?

the petrol engine will be used for the heating of the car as the engine still has to heat the water

as for the aircon the aircon will work with the engine not running so whilst in EV you will

still be kept cool in the warmer months, i am 99% certain the aircon is electrically operated.

Heat is created in the same way as a conventional car taking waste heat from the engine coolant. AC cooling is also similar to a conventional car however the AC is an electric pump which operates independently from the engine.

If you demand heat via the climate control and the engine is cool/cold the the car will start the engine in order to create the heat, you will notice an increase in fuel consumption as the weather gets cooler as the engine will run for longer the generate heat as well as the colder Hybrid Battery will create a little less power needing the engine to both charge more often and supliment the Battery output more often. the AC pump uses the hybrid Battery power, as it is independent of he engine running you may notice the running noise from the AC pump especially on warm days when stationary.

thanks for that info, i found that very useful, in getting to know more about how my Hybrid works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking about your post today. I was using the aircon as it was a warm day...
Got stuck in start/stop traffic with the aircon on.
The engine had to kick in a lot faster and also stayed on longer cause the aircon was using up the power.
So it does worsen the MPG a bit, that way.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links