Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

unusual noise

monkeydave

when i first start my car it is quiet and then if i drive 1/4 mile and leave it ticking over i can hear a shh shh shh noise coming from the belt/pulley area but it i get in and drive it a bit more (just less than a mile) it is quiet again also the noise is only apparent at tickover and mostly if i am outside of the car so not that loud

very strange indeed

on listening to it again it sounds a bit metalic, i will try to post a video tomorrow im just hoping it isnt the chain cam, the thing is i would never notice it making the noise if i didnt get out of the car when i drove it a short distance and got out to the post box leaving the car running before driving on and when i get where i am going not far it is all quiet and normal, it only appears after a min of tickover and it goes away after 5-10 mins of tickover or quicker if driven but you cant hear it inside the car even at tickover, very strange

i would assume a chain cam or chain guides would be noisy all the time if it was faulty in some way and as it is a rotational noise every second i suppose it could be the drive belt too the noise is too slow for the pulley wheels i think

here is the video on cold tickover, what do you all think? normal cold noise or chain cam. the engine is quieter once warmed up

you can hear the sound better in this video

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links