Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris hybrid

choudhrysuk

Hi guys. I have a Auris hybrid, what petrol do you use. I use Shell nitro power fuel is it worth it or am I wasting my money.

Also I am having a Battery health check, is there anything for look out for ?.

2 minutes ago, choudhrysuk said:

what petrol do you use. I use Shell nitro powder

i think the nitro powder will harm your fuel system use a liquid fuel instead.lol

we have had hybrids for 4 years now and i have found it doesnt make any difference what

fuel i use with regards to mpg it doesnt make a difference,i normally fill up with Shell

regular and sometimes use sainsburys petrol

Welcome in our mids of Toyota lovers.

I live outside UK but I just use whatever comes along in 95 octane. The cheapest one in the area is the best one for me.
Works as well as any other petrol I have tried here..   All are normal brands, no names that sound cheaper than Aldi or always go to modernised, clean stations.
No problems so far.  I tried several local or big brands .... All perform the same, it seems.

Save your money, I only fill up with superman petrol and it still gets decent mpg. Once while abroad last year, I did get a tank full of Shell and it made no difference. Since the car is set up for economy rather than performance, it is better to change your driving style to get the most out of the car.

12 hours ago, choudhrysuk said:

Hi guys. I have a Auris hybrid, what petrol do you use. I use Shell nitro power fuel is it worth it or am I wasting my money.

You don't say how old your hybrid is or why you're using the premium petrol.

Economy - any increase in economy may be negligible.

Performance - no increase in power, though some say responsiveness is better.

Cleaning - premium fuels tend to have better additive packages.

Often it is a personal choice.

Your profile is still showing you have an Auris diesel - please update your profile to include the hybrid.

It's kinda tricky; One nice thing about the V-Power stuff at least is that it's semi-synthetic fuel and, if the diesel version is anything to go by, burns better, which in cars with stupid things like EGRs, which the HSD has, will hopefully keep them in better condition over a long period of time.

The fuel also has more cleaning agents which, again may help keep things like the injectors in better condition over time.

If the car was being used for only short runs that don't allow the engine to run at full operating temperature regularly then this could help its longevity over time.

Unless you intend to keep the car for it's entire life tho' this is unlikely to have any noticeable effect on you.

From a performance and mpg point of view, the V-Power will probably have no effect or even be worse as V-Power has less energy per litre than regular fuel due to all the cleaning additives, and is considerably more expensive; It's 15p/L more expensive than supermarket fuel here, which is a good few £ extra on a tank - It's only barely cheaper than buying e.g. some Millers additive for my car.

AFAIK (And HSD owners may correct me on this!) the HSD can't take advantage of the higher octane of the fuel to extract more energy from it. Might make it less noisy at high RPM tho', due to the smoother burn of the fuel.

You could try Shell Fuel Save, which has most of the cleaning additives of V-Power but not the semi-synth part; It doesn't usually cost any extra but will allegedly keep the engine cleaner/

What about buying cheap petrol and adding the cleaners ourselves ?  Which one is good price / good formula and does useful things in the fuel additives range ?

One thing to watch out for is any fuel with more than 5% ethanol, this is one factor in lower mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

One thing to watch out for is any fuel with more than 5% ethanol, this is one factor in lower mpg.

Fuel containing 10% Ethanol should be labelled on the pump 'E10'.

In Belgium, E10 is the only available 95 octane. Price went up a little bit too when they changed it.
It is indicated as such too.
No idea what it is like in the rest of Europe... Didn't manage to get out there for quite a while now.

4 hours ago, haelewyn said:

What about buying cheap petrol and adding the cleaners ourselves ?  Which one is good price / good formula and does useful things in the fuel additives range ?

Yeah you can certainly do that; There are a few people who use Millers, and I know that bg-something-something additive is popular with some of the diesel owners here.

On the other hand a lot of people think they are unnecessary snake oil tho' so YMMV as they say!

I have no idea which ones are the good ones!

Irregardless of what grade of petrol you put on it doesnt matter because its still down to your drivng style. So save up and proper maintenance of the the car is the key. 

Thanks guys for all your feedback. All your advice is valueable thanks again.

Hi guys. I had a ford focus 2011 1.6 tdci titanium and always used premium fuel such as Shell Nitro Power and felt the car ran smoother and got more mpg. But know that i have purchased a Toyota Auris Hybrid Gen 1 2012 t-spirit . I thought more premium fuel would make a difference, but i was wrong and do appreciate all the advice that i get from this forum. I am looking forward to years of trouble free motoring..  Thanks once again guys.

3 hours ago, choudhrysuk said:

Hi guys. I had a ford focus 2011 1.6 tdci titanium and always used premium fuel such as Shell Nitro Power and felt the car ran smoother and got more mpg. But know that i have purchased a Toyota Auris Hybrid Gen 1 2012 t-spirit . I thought more premium fuel would make a difference, but i was wrong and do appreciate all the advice that i get from this forum. I am looking forward to years of trouble free motoring..  Thanks once again guys.

Toyota's in general are fairly trouble free, The only expense for my hybrid was new tyres after 6 years.

12 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Toyota's in general are fairly trouble free, The only expense for my hybrid was new tyres after 6 years.

Yes, your not likely to shred tyres with spinning wheels. :biggrin:

Had the tyres worn out, or suffering from age cracks.??

2 hours ago, Catlover said:
14 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Yes, your not likely to shred tyres with spinning wheels. biggrin.png

Had the tyres worn out, or suffering from age cracks.??

Actually both, when I bought the car 2 years ago it had 2 of the original Michelins and 2 others on.

All were less than 3mm, the michelins were starting to crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 09/06/2017 at 1:33 PM, haelewyn said:

I have used forte fuel cleaners for years in my diesels never had any issues except a faulty injector in a brand new car untreated as too new forte do a Dpf cleaner too which used with fuel cleaner works a treat but also I only buy branded fuel i.e. Shell 

bp or esso I avoid supermarket fuel

My experience has been to avoid supermarket fuel. I seem to get markedly lower MPG than Esso 95; far beyond anything that can be explained by driving style.

I've yet to really do a proper test but the few times I used Total 95, that seemed fine too.

With the supermarket stuff - I can actually watch the fuel gauge drop as I drive, which I simply can't do with other sources.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a fifth gear test about it which I think was great..

Seems Vicky and her team didn't just decide about the subject lightly.

The question came up a few times, so I thought I would post it. Hope you enjoy.

Please like this post when you did.

Seen this before. The video concentrates on one aspect of premium fuel - better performance - which isn't the only reason some use premium fuels. Other reasons may include perceived smoother running, better detergent package, and improved economy. 

At the end of the day, no single test will relate well to different engines and different models, and provide conclusive results for all. At best it is an illustration.

• Like 1

It's an objective way of deciding what difference there is between fuel brands. I always prefer it to the subjective, which is just an opinion.

Even if it's my own opinion. 

If a certain fuel gives more or less hp for a much larger or smaller price says something about the economy to drive it too. 

It is objective for one model, and only for power gains. Whether the car seemed more responsive or not was subjective - this was Vicky Butler-Henderson's opinion.

If the test had been carried out over a range of engine sizes and power outputs, and also took into account economy differences, the results would then be more objective.

With the vehicle tested, the best increase in power (Shell) was around 2%, which is minimal. More power doesn't necessarily equate to greater economy.

Another reason for going for premium fuel is the better package of detergents, and this can only be assessed by long term tests which the media are unlikely to undertake.

So no one really knows if paying a premium for your petrol or diesel produces any worthwhile results - other then the manufacturers of such premium fuels saying so, which is no recommendation at all.

I just had 27 years of owning diesels and for the vast majority of the time, say 99%, I have been running on supermarket fuel.

Now aquired a Auris Hybrid and continuing to run supermarket fuel in that, although last Tuesday I was away from home and saw an Esso station and as the petrol gauge was lowish I went and put in some 95RON Esso petrol. Not really expecting to tell the difference between supermarket and non-supermarket fuel.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Now aquired a Auris Hybrid and continuing to run supermarket fuel in that, although last Tuesday I was away from home and saw an Esso station and as the petrol gauge was lowish I went and put in some 95RON Esso petrol. Not really expecting to tell the difference between supermarket and non-supermarket fuel.

One tankful is unlikely to show much if any difference, especially as there will still be some supermarket unleaded in there. 

Where I live Asda is the cheapest unleaded, followed by Tesco and then Shell. Tesco is 1 pence more than Asda, Shell Fuelsave is 2 pence per litre more, and BP is 3 pence. So savings on a 40 litre fill of supermarket fuel completed to branded are minmal, and unlikely to be financially ruinous.

At the end of the day, it is an owner's personal choice. If an owner thinks their vehicle runs better, for whatever reason, on either branded fuel or premium fuel, as opposed to supermarket fuel, that's their choice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links