Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reverse camera

cgmstone

Hi 

Looking a bit of information I have just bought a 2012 avensis tr which has a reverse camera fitted but has no reverse sensors fitted just wondering does anybody know of a set of sensors which will connect to the original reverse camera in the car 

Many thanks in advance 

Cgmstone 

Does your profile need editing to include the Avensis?

the camera & the reversing sensors are separate items - 1 does not connect to the other.

You could go with the Toyota oem kit but a £17 Cisbo kit will do just as well.

If you intend to tow make sure that you fit an on/off switch. 

• Like 1

Are they a big job to fit and what wiring is needed ?

they usually just tap into the feed to the reversing light. There should be a fitting instruction on https://www.toyota-tech.eu for the Toyota kit which should show where to fit the sensors (it may well be marked on the inside of the bumper).

Toyota usually fit the on/off by the steering wheel but for aftermarket it is usually in the boot.

I fitted the £14 (at the time) Cisbo ones to a previously owned Avensis saloon, using the installation instructions from the toyota tech site - there's even a print-able template for the sensor positions.  Beware the Cisbo sensors are quite deep so I reckoned the back of them would foul the steel cross member behind the bumper, and I therefore fitted them lower down.  Or maybe it was just the inner two I fitted lower down, sorry I can't remember.  I only ever had a false beep from them once, with 4 people in the car and reversing down a slope onto a flat area - so it seems they weren't fitted too low.

Each sensor has a wire, and all four wires need to enter the car and be connected to the control box.  I used a grommet next to the vent under the LHS boot floor for entry.  The bumper needs moved away from the car to use this entry point, and it gives better access for routing the wires behind the bumper anyway.  The bumper is held on by two bolts at the back, plus various clips/screws around the wheel arches and under the rear.

The control box gets it's power from a plug on the car wiring loom, behind the LHS boot lining, but the kit doesn't have a matching plug (or any plug IIRC), so you need to tap/splice into the wiring. 

If you're confident taking various bits off your car, and can get some assistance holding the bumper a couple of times, the job will take a couple/few hours and isn't difficult.  Print off the templates and the wiring instructions before you start - the wiring section needs a bit of head scratching to find the right plug.

I have a standard toyota reversing camera in car working via the toyota head unit but I was looking something that I could could connect to the head unit which would give me distance lines on the camera view rather than just the plain camera view if that makes scence

I couldn't find any way to add lines to mine when I browsed around, except for sticking bits of tape etc to the lens.

Felt tip pen on the screen? :) 

Jez

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links