Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Quarter light Leak

JohnP1961

Due to a lousy job by a windscreen repair shop, I've discovered that my off side quarter light on my Liftback Avensis (2000) is leaking and fills the tyre well and jack compartment with water. I've found the right adhesive for fixing this, my question in, should I try to cut the Quarter light out to fix it properly or just try to seal the bad bits with it still on, (I can pulle the quarter light out by about a quarter in to get a nozzle in.
I already asked the place who cocked the job up in the first place to make it good but they wanted the same amount of money as they charged to fit a new glass and it was quite a while before I notified them of their failure. I only noticed it well after 12 months later

Was the windscreen fitter part of a larger company or an independent? If the former you could complain and go to another location. Otherwise get replacement seals or materials and repair yourself, if you are skill and confident to do a better job. It would be better to remove and reinstall.   

It looks like the diagonal edge thats parallel with the tailgate line, might be tricky to cut free without scratching the bodywork...has anyone cut one of these out with a cheesewire type arrangement? I've been told its easy to shatter the glass if too heavy handed

P.S. He was an independant....not to be recommended

From what I've read, its a high risk or even, highly likely that the quarter glass will be smashed when trying to cut it out. This has me wondering if I should just squeeze in more eurethane adhesive, into where I can get the caulking nozzle in, to see if I can seal the leaks. Does anyone know if new urethane will bond to old stuff, well?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the quarter light out...it isn't just bonded with sealant. The are three "plates" bonded to the glass and these plates have bolts coming off them that go through the body work and are then fastened with nuts, (10mm). Apart from these "plates" the glass isn't actually bonded to anything. The plastic/rubber encapsulating thingy around the glass, is.
Once I'd gotten my Quarter light off...I could see what a dreadful job the "professional" glass fitter had done. The sealant that he had used, (if you could even call it sealant, was still wet and sticky and was a similar consistency to stiff jam...it had been in for several years and was probably the cause of the leak I've had for all that time. The bottom "plate" had come away from the glass.
I've used "Master Bond to fix it but not sure if it will be successful as Master bond is meant for Glass to Metal bonding....and the avensis is more like Metal to Rubber/Plastic as it is the encapsulation that is bonded to the body work metal....well it is the plates that attach the quarter light to the car...with nuts....everything else, I suppose is just to make it watertight...hopefully

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links