Save Up To 15% Off For Members
    • Review Your Toyota
      Review Your Toyota
    • 1000's Of Toyota Cars For Sale
      1000's Of Toyota Cars For Sale
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobThrasher

What Is The Normal Operating Temperature?

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

Does anyone know the operating temperature for a 4-Cyl camry? I have a 1988 2.0L 4-cyl camry wagon. When the car was new the temp guage was at about 1/4 of full scale when up to temperature. Lately (133 Kmi later...) it reads closer to 1/2 of full scale. After idling awhile with the car warmed up, the input and output water appears to be 202 degrees F (measured using infared temperature gun at service station at the input and output ports of the engine). I tried changing the thermostat to a 180 degree stat with absolutely no change (not surprising since operating temp is over 200 degrees). I also tried performing a flush and that didn't do a thing either (2 different flushes used - sodium citrate and sodium bicarbonate (?)). Before the flushes I removed the radiator and carefully flushed out the bugs in both the radiator and the condenser. At this point I am at a loss as to why the temp guage still reads 1/2 of full scale unless either the temp sensor or guage are out of calibration.

I also kind of expected that the operating temp should be something closer to the thermostat since, presumably, a thermostat is supposed to control temperature. Thanks for any help.

Bob

try putting toyota anti freeze - summer coolant in , and not bog standard anti freeze.