Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Needs Help

xander

Hi guys first off, great forum very informative, Thinking about buying a Yaris T-sport or seat ibiza, reading the forum and saw that the yaris is noisy on the motorway how bad is it, as I’m doing about 500 miles a week – mostly motorway. Also how badly do cross winds affect the car? currently driving a Nissan primera GT – great car :thumbsup: – becoming VERY expensive to run (poor student! lol)

Thanks guys :help:

Get the YARIS

You know it makes sense :thumbsup:

And you will have the benefit of a very friendly Owners Club :) ;)

Indeed.

Its got good MPG for the performance of it. Effcient engine. As for winds, I wouldn't know. Only one way to find out!

To the windy motorway!

The only time i noticed that it was affected by cross winds was driving on the M62 over the pennines to Manchester in a blizzard! Even then it was a very capable car. As for noise, as long as you can keep it at less than 80mph it's fine, anything after that (which i wouldnt know about :rolleyes: ) I t can be noisy because the revs are fairly high. But, it endows you with excellent overtaking abilities without knocking the car down a gear.

If it is a problem... turn the stereo up!

Get the Yaris!!! (It aint no VW!!)

the yaris is a noisy car on the motorway, needs a 6th gear.

depending on which engine you get in the ibiza you might find it's a better motorway car, i'm particularly fond of the PD130 diesel.

go and drive both cars, and make your decission from that - not a yaris biased forum... you won't find many people here who'll tell you to get an ibiza :)

Thanks for all the responses, :thumbsup: was looking at the T-sport Yaris a year ago, but got put off by the toyota dealer – they said it would be too expense to insure, that I wouldn’t be able to find a used one and there would be no way to test drive a t-sport – Thought they where suppose to sell the car, not put me off :angry: Don’t really want the Ibiza but was told good things about the TDI. Still concerned about how the Yaris copes with the motorway so any input would be much appreciated

Cheers :thumbsup:

I do motorway miles every day of the week to work. I have a loud exhaust stuck on the back of mine and I have no problems with the noise. Infact, most of the time I even have the window open. All you have to do is turn the music up a little louder. Its not that bad at all. OK so its probably loud compared to an executive estate or something - but deffiently isn't anywhere near ear bleeding.

It does however get pretty loud with wind noise when hitting an indicated 115-120mph. You didn't hear that from me though.

As for crosswinds. You have to remember its a pretty light car 950kg. You will notice heavy winds when overtaking trucks as you hit the crosswind comming out the otherside. However, its deffiently not a constant battle all the way home - just adjust to the crosswind and its fine.

And if your after a second hand one, I might be selling after xmas.

hmmm.. If you're thinking about a seat diesel then why not consider a diesel Yaris? All the reviews I've read about it say it's the best diesel car in its category... :)

Again i have a loud exhaust wacked on back and induction kit up front, agreed a lot noiser with them than stock but you dont really notice them, tend to forget about them when musics on.. I find its a perfect little car for motorway driving, agreed about crosswinds u do notice them at times but not a big deal, but u know to expect them at times.

i find its a wicked car for motorway, can be nice a quick off the mark and overtakes extreamly easily, im sure im not the only one whos happily going along looked down and going a lot faster than they realise just because the car lets u and doesnt really complain to much in the process

i find its a wicked car for motorway, can be nice a quick off the mark and overtakes extreamly easily, im sure im not the only one whos happily going along looked down and going a lot faster than they realise just because the car lets u and doesnt really complain to much in the process

Many a time have i not realsied the actual speed im doing... The Yaris is very flexible on the motorway, with good over-taking capabilities, making it very safe in slip-road & big rubbish truck driver situations.

I forgot to mention that about the trucks though, they do tend to pull you in, but it is only a lightweight! Try doing 80mph in a Matiz! Shaking like a !Removed! pooping dog! (Me and the car!!)

I find the YTS great on motorways, more than enough power to get out of trouble. It will sit there all day at a good speed.

Haven’t really noticed a noise problem, but compared to previous cars I’ve had its positively quiet.

Hi there and welcome to the club!

The noisiness on the motorways is mainly aimed at the petrol Yari, the D-4D is much quieter as 3,000 revs in fifth equals about 90mph so most of the noise is tyre and wind related. I know that my old 1.0 was screaming its little head off on the rare occasions I reached those speeds...

I also cover about 500 miles a week which, depending on just hard you're driving, you should easily cover on one tank of diesel (about 35 quid up here) and over 8 months and 16,000 miles in my last one I averaged 56mpg so the car really costs pennies to run as insurance is quite low (for my T3 anyhow) and servicing is reasonable. Oh yeah, nothing breaks either!

Other considerations are that the seats are comfortable (I'm about 6 foot, but a mate and I did Glasgow to Birmingham and back in a day with no discomfort whatsoever - he's 6'6 btw) and the radio's okay (but that's easily upgraded - just look at the "How to" section on here).

As for crosswinds, I find that I only have problems on the Kessock Bridge when it's closed to high siders but you do have to remember that it is quite a tall, narrow car so it will always be affected - if only slightly.

I'm a bit biased as I think my Yaris is great and - apart from not looking like a sports car - it's the perfect car for me.

If you have any other questions then just ask...

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for all the input and the warm welcome! :)

Only considering the Yaris T-sport because I need something need sporty to trade down from my Primera GT (love it and the only car I’ve had since passing my test, but costing wayyy to much), wouldn’t consider the diesel yaris (too slow).

Two last questions;

1.Are parts easily obtainable on the T-sport, as I’ve been told by a friend that I might have to wait a long time as its a "rare" car

2.Will it be comfortable for 5 people – as I’m the “taxi driver” for all my friends around London.

Cheers

2.Will it be comfortable for 5 people – as I’m the “taxi driver” for all my friends around London.

Yes, sure.... if your friends are midgets... :lol:

But for real... it can ofcourse never be compared to your Primera in this area but I think it's roomy compared to cars in it's category... :)

Rare??!! I'd hardly class it as rae... exclusive is a better adjective i think! Parts are no problem, Toyota is a huge company, and the T-Sport is part of it's best selling model (unless corrolla still is - old one was best selling car in the world thanks to Japanese people!) therefore parts will be no problem.

I'm 6ft 3" so my seat is always fully back; and i'm the taxi driver for all my friends... no complaints there, compared to a lot of small cars the Yaris is surprisingly spacious when you consider it's dimensions. Unless your over 6ft, nobody in the back should have any complaints, and if they do, tell them to catch the bus!!

xander do you have msn or an email address?

i've got some info for you but it won't go down at all well here, so i'll reserve it for a private conversation :)

when listing your msn address, use '#' instead of '@' so the bots can't pick it up and spam you silly :thumbsup:

Hi xander

Well that can i say from what everyone else has said. The yaris t sport is a great little car. I should know as i had 2 in the house hold.I have just recently sold my yaris t sport and it wasn't because i disliked the car it was as i wanted a change. EG more performance.

Now to be fair the yaris is a small and light car so high winds would effect the car. But been a light car also mean good performance and good mpg. Been so light the yaris t sport can surprise bigger and more powerful cars on the road. And still return good miles to the gallon.

As for the noise level i must admit that if you are driving hard you will hear the engine quite a lot. But like said earlier in the post the engine rev's high but the power is there for when you want to over take. which the yaris does well.

Your best bet is to take some time out and go out and test drive both of them and decide for yourself mate. And once you have made your choice mate come back and tell us all what you have decided to buy mate :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Righto where to start...

My dad has the seat ibiza 1.9TDI - which i love....

I have the Yaris T3 1.3 - which i love..

I also drive on the one of the windest motorways in england....The M62...

Honestly, i can say that the yaris is affected by the wind, but due to the lightness of the steering IT definatly isnt a problem, only minor adjustment is needed to stay on track... Overtaking in my 1.3 is not a problem at all, i find i have a lot of pull in fifth for 60 + if someone is on my :censor:

The Seat is also a good choice, depends what you want really, if you are looking at the 1.2, id get the yaris as it has a better engine, its a jap car, you know it will last, and for what you pay, its a cracking car...

Howver if you are looking at 1.9tdi seat, id probably get that, my dad has had his 3 years now, with not a SINGLE problem and its a wicked car, The only reason i say to get this is, becuase it has so much engine tunablity, which yaris boy has told you... You get 70 bhp for a mere 400 quid and no increase to insurance what so ever..

Cheers

Matt

P.S. Sorry if this didnt help lol

Well I've only got an ickle 1 litre so can't help too much.on the performance side of things! Yes it's a light car but I don't find motorways intimidating because of it, so no real probs there.

As for performance and motorway driving? The best advice is still to try out the T Sport and also the Ibiza on at least a dual carriageway if not a motorway, as suggested by a number of people already. Any dealer not prepared to let you do that doesn't really want to sell cars.

The only downside to the ibiza is that its deseil. And as noted on top gear many times, the engine sound isn't as sweet as a petrol, and you only get the full bhp for a short amount of time as the car has a small rev range.

Now, I'm not denying that its a good car. And there a lot of fast desiels, however I personally could never buy one, simply for the fact of the noise and small rev range. I've never been a fan, and i'd rather have a slightly slower petrol car.

*cough* diseasal *cough* :D

Diesel's aren't actually as clean as petrol's. Yes, petrol's put out more C02 and Carbon Monoxide, but it's about 1.22% of the world's C02 that car's put out... Not a lot.

Whereas diesels put out lot's of other gases and particles, that are incredibly harmful to plants (which we all know reduce the C02 put out by cars to give us oxygen) This is why diesel's aren't as good! And because of the particles they're very bad for people suffering from asthma such as myself.

****Geek alert *****Geek alert*****

:D :) :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links