Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Filter Kit

storm99

I'm baffled by all the air filter kits available on the internet which promise up to 10bhp extra so i'll throw it out to the folks here. Whats the best buy? Should i put tan induction kit on too? Its a gen 4 2ltr 1987 st182 Thanks! :thumbsup:

Just brought a K&N 57i cold air induction kit for £85 if you are going to do it you may as well do it right :thumbsup:

Th fitting is real easy and takes about an hour......

:ph34r:

I guess you have a ST162 celica if it's a gen 4.

There is no way an air filter will give you 10 bhp. Modern OEM air box designs are pretty good. I mean, back in the days of the a series mini with it's 'frying pan' filter, an aftermarket one would make a difference.

This is especially true for the ST182, which has a very complex induction system culminating in a ram pipe in the grill and another behind the headlight. I suspect other generation celicas are similar, and all this work is to minimise induction noise. The main difference an aftermarket filter will give you is a louder induction roar, making your car 'sound' faster. Unless you replace the ducting to the front of the car as well as the air filter, you will lose the ram effect , leading to a decrease in power at speed. The ducting needs to be completely closed to work properly.

The only other way a filter can improve breathing is by flowing air more freely, and to do that filtering performance will drop, letting more particles in. Toyota made the compromise for a reason.

Has anyone on here done back to back power runs on a dyno with OEM air box and an aftermarket arrangement? That is the only way to prove any benefits.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links