Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where To Join 6x9's To On Headunit

admanirv

Hi,

Right guys only me AGAIN regarding fitting my aftermarkey headunit.

Specs are : panasonic mp3 headunit 50x4w

: jbl 6*9 Speakers 300watt 120rms

: standard front Speakers

Okay ive got all me bits, fascia, din unit blah blah.

Now the only thing stopping me fitting it is confusion with where to attach the 6*9 wires.

There currently connected correctly, running under the seats ready to be fit to a head unit, thing is ive had several people tell me several ways to fit them and why not/to fit it that particular way.

I was told on here i think (cant remember), to connect 6x9's to the pre outs, my headunit has 2 sets pre outs - how do you go about that, any disadvantages?.

Then i was told to just connect the wires from the 6x9's to the wires from the oringinal front 4 Speakers - but i was told by a guy in motorword, that this is a bad idea as i could maybe blow the system up and the output would be crap, because of the way the speakers ar wired.

So i dont what to do, id like to get the best sound quality, im so confused! :blink:

find where your front speaker wires are, splice the wires and attach your 6 by 9 wires to them! my car only came with dash Speakers, i got myself a set of door Speakers and spliced them into the dash Speakers, then i just bought some powerful 6 by 9s and theyre also spliced into there! and iv played at high volumes, so the guy at motorworld is wrong!

or if you have the money, buy an amp, connect that up and use the amp to power your speakers

Splicing wouldn't cause many problems at all, and it definatley wouldn't blow up as they're 300watt Speakers and the HU is only 50 watt, so there isn't enough power to blow anything.

If you don't want to do that, nip to Maplins and get some of these:

1000i0.jpg

Available by clicking here

Then thread your speaker cables into these connectors and plug them into one of your line-outs, either should be ok although check your HU instructions as they could do different things. Then try that and hopefully you will have rear Speakers plugged in all lovely!!

Hope this helps!

nice one!! i have 6 holes (as in where those things above plug in) but im using two for my amp! this means i have 4 holes spare. does this mean i can use them thingys above on my 6 by 9s?

Splicing wouldn't cause many problems at all, and it definatley wouldn't blow up as they're 300watt speakers and the HU is only 50 watt, so there isn't enough power to blow anything.

If you don't want to do that, nip to Maplins and get some of these:

1000i0.jpg

Available by clicking here

Then thread your speaker cables into these connectors and plug them into one of your line-outs, either should be ok although check your HU instructions as they could do different things. Then try that and hopefully you will have rear speakers plugged in all lovely!!

Hope this helps!

thanks guys,

i take it it just need two of these adaptors for my 6 *9, 4 wires currently 2 from each.

or

I have a t sport 2002 with 4 standard front Speakers, where do i connect the wires from my 6x9's to the front Speakers, what colour, which ones etc? and which one, i have an iso lead at the moment

wouldnt ya need four? one for each wire

Thats what i was thinking but i dont know?,

I suppose it would be safer pluggin in the 6x9's to my pre out? i have 2 sets of pre outs on the unit,

which is postive? red or white?

Am i going to lose any sound quality or volume using pre outs instead of splcing wires?

it would probs be better using pre outs!

i have some phono plugs here, just waiting to find out whether to use 4 or 2 plugs

personally i wouldnt connect them to any of the Speakers already in (if u have 4) im going to buy an amp to power mine. much better way of doing it. yes more expensive, but just plugging them into a line out or connecting them to other Speakers isnt good. im sure the line out would need to be amplified anyway, and connecting them to other speaks can mess up the impedance or something. which can cause problems!

there is a converter bracket available from toyota which JJ has on here. you can connect 6x9 rear Speakers as well as the four front ones. somethign you could check out at least.

personally i wouldnt connect them to any of the speakers already in (if u have 4) im going to buy an amp to power mine. much better way of doing it. yes more expensive, but just plugging them into a line out or connecting them to other speakers isnt good. im sure the line out would need to be amplified anyway, and connecting them to other speaks can mess up the impedance or something. which can cause problems!

there is a converter bracket available from toyota which JJ has on here. you can connect 6x9 rear speakers as well as the four front ones. somethign you could check out at least.

hmm thats worth a try, i want to avoid an amp though.

***** i dont know what to do now,

right i recommend splicing the wires! ignore everyone else! listen to my story!

i USED to have a standard yaris cd player with dash Speakers! i installed some shelf Speakers by splicing the wires into the dash Speakers! i then installed an amp (for my sub) and that was also spliced into the dash speakers! and on top of this i put some dash speakers in. It was fine with the standard cd player.

I upgraded and bought myself a head unit, and a new set of shelf speakers (6 by 9s) so now i have dash/door/shelf speakers all in the same place! AND ITS FINE! Iv had it like this for months, so ignore anyone who says its dodgy coz it aint, my sound system is pumping and doesnt distort.

However im going to try the phono plugs now

right i recommend splicing the wires! ignore everyone else! listen to my story!

i USED to have a standard yaris cd player with dash speakers! i installed some shelf speakers by splicing the wires into the dash speakers! i then installed an amp (for my sub) and that was also spliced into the dash speakers! and on top of this i put some dash speakers in. It was fine with the standard cd player.

I upgraded and bought myself a head unit, and a new set of shelf speakers (6 by 9s) so now i have dash/door/shelf speakers all in the same place! AND ITS FINE! Iv had it like this for months, so ignore anyone who says its dodgy coz it aint, my sound system is pumping and doesnt distort.

However im going to try the phono plugs now

Ah, okay then so it should be ok splicing wires, id prefer to go down the pre out route, wonder if it would be powerful enough?, just have to found out now if ill have to use 4 phone afapters or 2, i suppose it one for each wire, as i ahve 2 sets of pre outs

lol, splice the wires if u wish, but it really isnt reccomended!! daisey chaining Speakers and that kinda thing can blow the amp in ur headunit

somethin thats is designed to have 2 Speakers connected, shoudlnt have 4! simple...

Just cut the ISO connection block at the 'rear speakers', add a connection block, whack in your 6x9 wires, done, insulate the block..

Just cut the ISO connection block at the 'rear speakers', add a connection block, whack in your  6x9 wires, done, insulate the block..

Ah so basically take the iso lead and insert the wires from the 6*9's to where another set of Speakers would go then connect?

lol, splice the wires if u wish, but it really isnt reccomended!! daisey chaining speakers and that kinda thing can blow the amp in ur headunit

how come my standard yaris cd player was ok!

how come my alpine head unit is fine?? iv had it like this for MONTHS and regulary play it at loud levels! All fine to me

lol, splice the wires if u wish, but it really isnt reccomended!! daisey chaining speakers and that kinda thing can blow the amp in ur headunit

how come my standard yaris cd player was ok!

how come my alpine head unit is fine?? iv had it like this for MONTHS and regulary play it at loud levels! All fine to me

I believe you, i just want to get everyones point of view, i dont want to blow my headunit etc, im prepared to fit my self, as i garage was going to charge me £56, to put in stereo plugin and connect wires from 6*9's which have allready been fitted by me, they were going to just splice the wires!

If you were going to go down the pre-out route, you need two plugs.... the minus goes into the white or Left, and the + goes into the red, or right!

But... what Chappers said will be the best option in terms of sound quality as that's the proper way of wiring Speakers up.

Just cut the ISO connection block at the 'rear speakers', add a connection block, whack in your  6x9 wires, done, insulate the block..

Ah so basically take the iso lead and insert the wires from the 6*9's to where another set of Speakers would go then connect?

Aye..

Headunit Harness > ISO Lead > Cars Harness

You cut where the correct wires - insert block - attach wires = music

Ill take a photo later if you wish?

Aye..

Yes please that would be great!, i have 4 wires coming out at moment, so i suppose this avoids connecting the 6*9's to other Speakers! which is better

Aye..

Yes please that would be great!, i have 4 wires coming out at moment, so i suppose this avoids connecting the 6*9's to other Speakers! which is better

No problem.. this will be @ about 10pm when I get home..:!Removed!:

Aye..

No problem.. this will be @ about 10pm when I get home..:!Removed!:

cheers matey

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links