Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattle From Door Window

ChadPaul

When driving along anything but a smooth road there is a very small but annoying rattle from my driver door window. If I lower the window slightly the rattle stops but when fully raised it returns. Has anyone had the same problem and found a simple sollution? Thanks

When driving along anything but a smooth road there is a very small but annoying rattle from my driver door window. If I lower the window slightly the rattle stops but when fully raised it returns. Has anyone had the same problem and found a simple sollution? Thanks

Hi mate, my gt4 does exactly the same thing, but i also noticed that if you push against the inner door cover it stops the rattling as well. Keep meaning to strip the door down and have a look, its probably just that the window mounts on the runners are loose or something like that. Just have had a chance to get round to it yet.

I've got the same prob, haven't look at it yet though, was going to do it at the same time as my Speakers and kill 2 bird with 1 stone

Well i'll try my best to only drive when its warm and dry, or with one hand pressed against the door! & if i get bored of doing that & do get around to taking the door apart i'll let you no if i find what makes the rattle.

Well i'll try my best to only drive when its warm and dry, or with one hand pressed against the door! & if i get bored of doing that & do get around to taking the door apart i'll let you no if i find what makes the rattle.

mine makes the same noise ,so i drive with my elbow wedged against the door card

It's a RAV thing too - let us know how you get on with a fix. :D

• 2 months later...

Right Finally got round to looking at this and I'm glad to say I've cracked it :yes:

Pics and tutorial to follow once I get round to getting the pics off my camera, hopefully tomorrow.

Hey - brilliant - can't wait to see the fix - it's driving me mad ... :)

Step 1 .. Get a rubber wedge.

Step 2 ... Jam it in the window.

Sorted. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Only kiddin. :-) :thumbsup:

Right, first things first taking off the door card.

SP_A0042.jpg

The above picture shows the location of the 8 screws that need to be removed first.

SP_A0039.jpg

The 2 screws at the front of the door are hiding under 2 plastic caps, prize these off and then unscrew the screws. You’ll also need to remove the tweeter cover thingy. Just pull from the top and it’ll pop out.

Having removed the screw holding the cover round the door lock/handle, remove the cover and you’ll find a couple more screws lurking underneath. You only need to remove one of these as shown in the picture below.

SP_A0040.jpg

Next there are 3 studs running down the back of the door in the positions shown below.

SP_A0041.jpg

To remove these studs push the centre section inwards, it’ll stop just in a bit from the level of the outer part. You should now just be able to pull it out. To refit these push the centre section all the way out fit the stud then push the centre section in so that it’s flush with the outer section.

SP_A0043.jpg

You should now be ready to remove the door card the bottom should be lose, pull it upwards to lift it off the window sill and then lean the top towards you. Careful as you go here coz there are a couple of connector still fitted.

Leaning the door card towards you once off the door will allow you to reach down and disconnect the connection for the window/mirror control unit as below.

SP_A0044.jpg

And also the connector for the door warning light

SP_A0045.jpg

The door card should now be free from the door, on the underside you find loads of screws holding it together, tight these up (some of mine where really lose) but be careful not to over tighten the ones which don’t screw into solid plastic (You’ve been warned :arrgg-matey: ).

Now put the door card to one side for a minute and turn you attention to the door, you’ll see another load of screws holding various parts of the door on, make sure all these are nice and tight. Be careful with the ones on the window you don’t want to crack it :crybaby: !

The picture below shows the lock connection wires, mine was a bit rattly so I decided to put a bit of foam behind it just to buffer it a little.

SP_A0049.jpg

Right that’s the door parts sorted now go back to the door card. Along the top strip there’s a metal runner that sits between the window and the inner skin of the door. This is the bit that causes the rattling.

SP_A0046.jpg

Basically because the window doesn’t have a frame, over time the window pushes against the inner seal which in turn pushes the metal strip against the inner skin and stretches it outwards thus creating play between the metal holding strip and the inner door skin, this play results in the rattling that we all hate. All this is exasperated by people closing the doors by the window (Had to slap a mate at the weekend for doing this to the passenger door :ffs: ).

All you need to do is bend these metal sections inwards, make sure you do it all the way along, otherwise you have some bits tight and some lose.

Now put it all back together, the top will be a bit of a pain as it will now be nice and tight with the window rubber pushed right up against the window. Just make sure you get the metal section between the window and the inner skin. Also don’t forget the electrical connectors for the door light and window control unit. Refit all the screws/studs and covers and you done. You now notice that the window rubber is nice and tight against the window and not all flappy like before.

Now do the same thing for the passenger door if that rattles as well and give you self a pat on the back and a pint for a job well done :thumbsup: . Obviously leave the pint until after you taken the car for a quick rattle free spin, wouldn’t want to get anyone done for drink driving now would I :D .

KITT has a window rattle but its part of her charm :rolleyes:

I havent got down to pulling her to bits yet but its on my to do list :thumbsup:

Nice, I did this myself but didn't notice the metal bit in the door card, just the rattly lock connection things (that I've also put foam behind). Doing that sorta half sorted it, made it alot better, but if I bend that thing in the door card itself, I'll be sorted, thanks! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links