Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bullied By A Lorry

jay dh

was coming off the motorway onto a slip road behind a lorry. he was in left lane i was in right about to overtake him and he started to drift to my lane so i backed off and he stayed in the middle of the quite wide lanes. then he moved to the right so i decided to undertake him. this would have been safe as i could keep away from him and not cut him up etc...

get toward the top of the slip road coming to a roundabout, almost overtaken him and he starts to drift to the left lane that im in very slightly as to warn me off. so as i was nearly at the roundabout which is quite big, i just moved to the left of the lane near hard shoulder when i noticed the road narrows and there is a dry mud bumpy patch coming up on me. i couldnt react in time to break so the 2 passenger side wheels went over it at about 50mph, back went out a little but ok. then while i was to the left of him on the roundabout (same speed as him) he kept staying in the middle of the 2 lanes so i backed off. off the roundabout and onto a dual carriageway, i slowly overtake him and he is swearing and f'ing at me!

looked this morning at my car and the gap between the bumper and the lights seems bigger than before so im guessing its not staying as clipped on as before. need to look later.

i didnt get his num plate, was too dark

this is why i hate having a small car... am i the only one?

ive driven big and small cars and lorrys seem to push they weight around with small cars...

Unfortunately you cannot afford to argue with lorries (or at times, their drivers!). They have a hard job to do, driving hours on end with all sorts of peeps cutting them up desperate to get past. The classic is when a driver pulls along side at a round-a-bout.... they need a HUGE turning circle so it's bye bye bumper or worse if you don't allow for this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you but I've heard it from HGV Drivers points of view too and you really have to drive defensively. Sometimes they genuinely can't see you... sometimes they're using the size of the vehicle to push out because no one will give way... other times they're foreign drivers... high winds may cause 'swaying'... it goes on. Either way I try to give them a wide berth when poss or you may get 'bullied' as you put it - especially driving a small car.

But - I am sorry to read this. Hope there isn't too much damage. :(

You have a point, when i had my Lexus LS400 i noticed people didn't try to 'take me on' as it were. I guess it was the 2 tonnes of jap car :lol:

Lorry drivers are dodgy like that, but i guess they get very bored of only being able to trundle along at only 50mph.

Unfortunately you cannot afford to argue with lorries (or at times, their drivers!). They have a hard job to do, driving hours on end with all sorts of peeps cutting them up desperate to get past. The classic is when a driver pulls along side at a round-a-bout.... they need a HUGE turning circle so it's bye bye bumper or worse if you don't allow for this.

i wasnt argueing with him, i was driving round him and was not obstructing him at all. he knew i was there, if not he wasnt looking to see if i was there.

he was going in a straight line when he moved closer to me, the only reason the nidicent happened so close to the roundabout was cos he moved into my lane and i backed off the accelerator a little

i agree with what your saying, i do try and give them room if they need it

They can be complete tw##s sometimes, the worst I had was whilst overtaking a lorry on a national speed limit road, as I got level with the back of His cab he started to overtake a smaller slower lorry in front. I pressed my horn and held it pressed whilst he forced me on to the grass verge then on to the pavement I couldn't brake much whilst I was on the grass as I had no grip but once I had two wheels on the pavement and two on the road I was able to slow down and pull behind him but I must have had my horn pressed down for over a minute and he never did anything about it other than forcing me off the road! I was fuming and reported him to the company he worked for but I don't think it got me very far.

There are some very nice lorry drivers who check their mirrors and drive very well but there are some who are complete !Removed!

You have a point, when i had my Lexus LS400 i noticed people didn't try to 'take me on' as it were. I guess it was the 2 tonnes of jap car  :lol:

Lorry drivers are dodgy like that, but i guess they get very bored of only being able to trundle along at only 50mph.

They probably thought you were gonna lob werthers orginals sweets at them! :lol:

They probably thought you were gonna lob werthers orginals sweets at them!  :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Either that or they probably thought i'd throw my slippers or my pipe at them :thumbsup:

BTW, i've got a bone to pick with you sir ;) I didnt get to talk to you once at the Southern meet and i was most upset as i wanted to sit in your GS300 :lol: ;)

You have a point, when i had my Lexus LS400 i noticed people didn't try to 'take me on' as it were. I guess it was the 2 tonnes of jap car  :lol:

Funny that, people seen to react the same to my supra.... but ignored the soarer :(

I usually need at least two lanes on roundabouts too :thumbsup: For some reason people seem willing to give me this space too?? :hokus-pokus:

Some lorry drivers do bully you <_< - but i always let them win- at the end of the day im in a tiny little mr2 and they are in a 40T arctic - who's gonna come off worse? :unsure: :!Removed!:

I always assume that lorrys are going to pull out - even if they arnt - this way you are ready for it - if im going past one on the motorway - i always make sure i have a space to go forward into and that im not gonna be travelling alongside them for longer than it takes to get past them - and i always put my foot down as i go past - i can imagine its extremely hard to drive a lorry - and the blind spots must be huge! :(

I work with Lorry drivers everyday, you get good ones and you get bad ones, just watch out for the pished ones!

Seriously, you'd be so suprised how many there are, lairy as well, took four people to restrain a beered up one once, he was all of 5"5 but didn't wanna give his keys up!!!

Not worth upsetting them on the roads, just try and be patient, sorry to hear about this mate, your one sounded like a particularly pathetic person...

I usually need at least two lanes on  roundabouts too  :thumbsup:  For some reason people seem willing to give me this space too??  :hokus-pokus:

Having driven behind you Karma, I'm always wary of cars with the front wheels in one lane and the rear wheels in another :D

Paul.

You must be like the most insane person for undertaking a TRUCK :eek: :eek:

Did it not occur to you that the truck might have been fighting again some wind?

I sincercly doubt he was trying to bully you

Sorry to hear about the damage Jay.

Why were you undertaking though?

cos he was obviously driving slowly, as lorrys need to and i knew i was gona get stuck behind him, so i undertook while there was room (pleanty of room and wide lanes)

there was very little wind, there was a bank beside us and i felt no wind from any direction on the car (i know a lorry is bigger but if there was enough wind to move him that much i would have felt something!)

it wasnt the best decision ive made but im sure he knew i was there and was just annoyed i was going round him so he tried to scare me off...

Sorry to hear about the damage Jay :( I drive past loads of lorries every day on the way to work and occasionally they like to scare me when I am overtaking on the dual carriageway by signalling and moving closer to the white line like they are going to overtake too..not good when you have the central reservation on the right!!!

I'm not bothered about driving a smaller car actually, people intimidate me a lot because I drive at the speed limit anyway and I just ignore them.

You havn't said what sort of lorry your on about.... was it a rigid lorry or an artic?

Artic's need a bigger turning circle and will often take up both lanes when turning. Rigid lorrys (7.5 - 32 ton) do not need such a big turning circle unless they are towing a trailer and therefore should be able to keep themselves between the lines....

Although I don't have my HGV, I regularly move our artics about the yard so understand just how much room they need..... In fact reversing them is most fun because when looking in the mirrors things do look deceiving especially the near side mirrors....

To be honest if you were undertaking him you were probably in his blind spot. He wouldn't expect you to be there either, as you're not supposed to be passing him when on the inside. End of the day could have been a lot worse :thumbsup:

IIR, it was a big tesco lorry. i dont see why a lorry driver capable of driving something that large would have needed to come in my lane.

if he hadnt have seen me at the beginning, why was he still after that in the middle of 2 lanes when i was next to him. surely any lorry driver would use his mirrors between approaching a roundabout and leaving it.

as said, could have been worse, got to tweak my oversteer skills is a positive outlook

Jay

It could have been worse.... your car could have tipped over like mine did....

Now I always always always give any large vehicle a wide berth..... I'd much rather be 2 mins late than take one of those on for a second time.... :unsure:

It could have been worse.... your car could have tipped over like mine did....

Now I always always always give any large vehicle a wide berth..... I'd much rather be 2 mins late than take one of those on for a second time....  :unsure:

Your car tipped over Em?? :o

IIR, it was a big tesco lorry.  i dont see why a lorry driver capable of driving something that large would have needed to come in my lane.

Jay

I think unless youve actually tried to drive a lorry then its not fair to make a comment like that - understandably your annoyed -but you were undertaking :ph34r:

I cant believe you undertook him! :huh: I've started to drive lorrys recently and the visibility in them is ****, it's so hard to judge how far back another car in the other lane compared to your trailer.

:blink: If you really needed to undertake, seriously, drop it a few gears and do the manouver in a second or less. .... or just dont bother and wait ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links