Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oxygen Sensor Tool

sisaven

Hi, Fellow Avensis Owners, = Can anyone Please inform me what size Oxygen Sensor Socket, (half inch drive) I would require for my = 2002 1.8vvt Avensis. (ZZT221R-L Petrol Engine)

They are relatively expensive to buy, but I am hopping to make my own from a Good Quality Long Reach, half inch drive socket. (Hope to be able to cut down one side with Grinder, for Harness access)

It would also be of Great Help if you could Identify = CO2 Sensor Bank's 1, 2, & 3,

I would be Very Grateful if you can Help with this Info. Best Wishes to you all.

one up front gets the most heat

but get or use a 02 checker first about

£15 and a socket is only

£5 as well

are you using a lot of oil have you cleaned you maf !!!

good luck aftermarket sensors are ok but you need to check the wiring lay out first

may need a new cat ecu and software upgrade

THIS IS A KNOWN DESIGN FAULT TOYOTA WANT TO KEEP QUIET

JUST LIKE THE DUFF VVTI ENGINES !!!!!!!

may need a new cat ecu and software upgrade

THIS IS A KNOWN DESIGN FAULT TOYOTA WANT TO KEEP QUIET

JUST LIKE THE DUFF VVTI ENGINES !!!!!!!

Hi, silverarrow, Thanks for both your reply’s to my Topic above, however I find them a bit Puzzling, as my original topic was to determine a particular Socket Size, - May I therefore Answer your particular points in the order written, one at a time, =

1. There are Two C02 Sensors on the Exhaust Manifold (up front) designed to operate at a normal operating temp. of 600/700deg F

2. I have the necessary Digital Test Equipment to establish the fluctuating current output of the 02 Sensor sender - Closed Loop circuit (300/600 millivolts on av.)

3. I have been unable to obtain the special socket locally, but can obtain by Post for £12.60 inc PP - a bit more than your suggested £5.00 (as I explained originally, - I am able to modify an existing Long Reach Socket that I already have in stock, for Free, if I know the size, which was my original query)

4. I am not Burning any oil, and have no need to Top Up between Oil Changes. (I now average only 7000 miles per yr. as a pensioner - at an average of 38mpg, well pleased)

5. I clean my Mass Airflow Elements Annually.

6. There are No “Aftermarket Sensors” currently available for the 1ZZ-FE ZZT221 engine. (it is a lean burn type. Wide Band sensor)

7. How did you conclude I need a “New Cat.” “New ECU“. & “New Software Upgrade”

8. What does this mean = “THIS IS A KNOWN DESIGN FAULT TOYOTA WANT TO KEEP QUIET” ???

In the 46yrs I have been driving and maintaining my own vehicles I can Honestly say this is the Best Car I have ever Owned, I have owned it from new, it is my First Toyota and has my Full Recommendation. - It is with great regret that I did not switch to a Toyota many years ago.

9. Your comment that you find the VVTi engine “A Duff engine” I find truly Amazing. I have found it to be one of the most versatile power plants for torque, economy & reliability I have ever used .(I am aware that the earlier pre, 2000 engine used some oil)

PLEASE NOTE. - I ONLY REQUIRE THE 02 CENSOR SOCKET AS A STOCK ITEM. as I intend to keep the Car for the foreseeable future, I will at some stage need to change a sensor. - I am a Strong Believer in the old Boy Scout maxim “BE PREPARED”

Hope this Clarifies my Original “Posting”

It still would be of Great Help though if anyone could Identify = O2 Sensor Bank's 1, 2, & 3, for future reference to OBD11 fault Code Tracing.

Best Regards to All

try toolstation .com

22 mm

toyota have tried to cover up the duff engines with the certain vvtis from 2000to 2002

some on 2003 and 2004 have had similar probs

the what car warranty database ie real claims shows toyota as at best just about average

when toyota japan different story

cheap parts means cheap cars and poor build, happy motoring,o2 sensors can read ok but still be out the ecu changes the trim fuel settings and most garages only check them out on a stationary car ie fuel load not a true reading

good luck and happy toyotaing

try www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk about £5 per tool

Thanks, silverarrow, I have checked out "cats-direct" and they quote = FTA902 Sensor Socket = £14.01 inc carriage + vat (and its only a 3/8" drive) - I would still prefer to make my own from a 1/2" drive, Long Reach Socket - These EX. Manifold sensors can take some shifting, without rounding the flats.

They also quote the size as 22mm so I assume this must be correct , however with the thread size of 18mm I would have assumed the socket size to be 21mm, (as Spark Plug dims,)

unfortunately due to the position of the sensors, recessed below the heat shield I am unable to take a direct measurement across the flats of the sensor.

"Cats-direct" a useful Site though, - Thanks for your Info.

I believe that bank 1 is cylinders 1 & 4, bank 2 is cylinders 2 & 3.

Thanks for the above Information it confirms the logical set up, when you view the Ex. Manifold configuration.

Thank for your Help, ..... Dave.

Hi, Fellow Avensis Owners, = Can anyone Please inform me what size Oxygen Sensor Socket, (half inch drive) I would require for my = 2002 1.8vvt Avensis. (ZZT221R-L Petrol Engine)

They are relatively expensive to buy, but I am hopping to make my own from a Good Quality Long Reach, half inch drive socket. (Hope to be able to cut down one side with Grinder, for Harness access)

It would also be of Great Help if you could Identify = CO2 Sensor Bank's 1, 2, & 3,

I would be Very Grateful if you can Help with this Info. Best Wishes to you all.

Just an Update to the above, I believe I have found the best method of safely removing the "Upstream" 02 Sensors, on the 1.8vvt Avensis. (ZZT221R-L Petrol Engine) =

Take 1 - 22mm x 100mm 1/2" Drive, Diesel Injector Removal Tool ( I used the "Sealy" Windowed Version) Cut a 5mm slot in 22mm end with metal Grinder. (to allow passage of 4 Wire Harness into socket Window) = You now have the Best type of socket for removing the Sensor, --- the disadvantage of the commercially obtainable "Lambden sensor removal tool" is the Length of this socket is not suitable for the extra long Toyota Sensors, = The Toyota supplied SST is a "Crows Foot" type socket, my own previous experience with this type of socket (for a different application) is that it is so easy to slip off the flats, and risk "Rounding" them. = Therefore I Recommend the above D.I. Socket as Fit For Purpose.

God Speed ............... Dave.

• 10 years later...

Hi Dave - I know this is a ten year old post but I have come very late to Toyota world!  I need to change a Lambda sensor in my 02 Avensis 1.8 vvti - I am very much an amateur mechanic and have found even the approach to the job tricky.  The cable connecting socket for the driver's side sensor is way back behind the engine and very hard to reach. So I thought to move the heat shield for better access (as I can't remove the heat shield without disconnecting the sensor - catch 22) However the heat shield seems to have six bolts, two on top are easy, the two low down on the sides are doable but the two at the back I'm really struggling with. The gap to the bulkhead is very small - any wizard suggestions gratefully received.

ta

Al

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links