Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question For The New Yaris Owners...

T V O R

Do you have to press the clutch down to start your engine or will it start without touching any of the pedals?

My mate’s wife has just bought a new T3, and it wouldn’t start! Only to find that if she pushed the clutch pedal down then it started!

:blink:

yeah have to depress clutch to make engine start, safety feature in case car is left in gear :thumbsup:

Do you have to press the clutch down to start your engine or will it start without touching any of the pedals?

My mate’s wife has just bought a new T3, and it wouldn’t start! Only to find that if she pushed the clutch pedal down then it started!

You can imagine how joyed I was when I had rented a brand new Yaris on holiday, standing there at 3 am without a starting car :D

Some clutchwork fixed it though. But seriously, if you don't know if you're car's in gear or not, you shouldn't be driving..

Eirik

Lol. suprising how many people I know, who's partners will leave their car in gear when they turn the engine off, and when they come to use it, find it suddenly stalls... :D

Similar feature to most Suzuki motorbikes - clutch needs to be engaged in order for it to start.

Good idea as well, as by engaging the clutch on start-up, you decrease the amount of load on the engine when it's cranking over to startup.

hmmmm i cud used this ones up tside park mate put it in gear for a joke and i didnt see :| guy parking up in front of me soon got a shock

surely your just going to put the clutch in, start it, then bring it up and stall it anyway? or is it just me whod be this stupid? or is the idea that you put the clutch down, start it, pick a gear then drive off?

Yes, first thing Mr T told me when I was handed the keys to a courtesy car a while back... "Depress the clutch when starting".

It is all in the Owners Manual..........................I think it is a good idea and takes the transmission load off the engine when starting.

Possible added security bonus to the unknowing potential car thief :thumbsup:

Its because of the keyless start, if you could just hit the button with it in gear by mistake, or a little child just pressing the button it could be dangerous, so its to stop unintentional starting on the T-Spirit & SR (I assume the SR has the keyless start?)

It was carried across to the rest because it was cheaper to do it that way apparently?

Its because of the keyless start, if you could just hit the button with it in gear by mistake, or a little child just pressing the button it could be dangerous, so its to stop unintentional starting on the T-Spirit & SR (I assume the SR has the keyless start?)

It was carried across to the rest because it was cheaper to do it that way apparently?

All T-Spirits and SR's have the smart entry and start system.

I knew someone who tryed to start their car with it in gear and the hand break off, it was lucky nothing was in front of them as their car jumped forward a surprising amount!

yeea you can actually start most cars with it in first gear, tho it isnt advisable

I knew someone who tryed to start their car with it in gear and the hand break off, it was lucky nothing was in front of them as their car jumped forward a surprising amount!

That trick comes in handy when your clutch cable has broken but you need to drive the car. But the Yaris has a hydraulic clutch so don't worry about that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links