Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Very High Pitched Ringing D4d 07

AlexM

Just after my praise for the Yaris, I have a problem!

I have this very high pitched ringing evident between 2000 and 3000 rpm after the car has done say 20 miles in that day. I booked it in with a Toyota garage and they fitted a replacement auxillary belt. Engineer said the problem was fixed, all was fine until once again the car was fully warmed up, and the noise has returned!

Its so high pithced it can give you a headache, its like the ringing in your ears the night after going to a nightclub and seems to be most prominent about 2.5k rpm.

My initial thought was a problem with the turbo, but the dealer didn't think much of this...

Any thoughts?

Just booked it in again next week, no apology from the service dept. even after they told me it was definately fixed today. They must think I enjoy wasting fuel and time...

They never apologise, and they always think you enjoy wasting your time.

You could ask them to prove it was not faulty when new, and then reject it if they cannot. Otherwise you'll just have to stick it out. My mum's D4D Corolla Verso had a squeak which occured at low revs increasing at high, it was something to do with the fan belt, they sorted it eventually!

They never apologise, and they always think you enjoy wasting your time.

You could ask them to prove it was not faulty when new, and then reject it if they cannot. Otherwise you'll just have to stick it out. My mum's D4D Corolla Verso had a squeak which occured at low revs increasing at high, it was something to do with the fan belt, they sorted it eventually!

Would I need to return the car to the dealer I purchased it from to do that? To be honest the car is great, just a silly niggle they should be able to sort surely? It's not something I want to live with, its so irritating after a while and I'd like to think I can use the car for longer journeys than 20 odd miles.

Took my car in a couple of days ago and left it with them. The engineer said he looked at everything, and was eventually led to the air conditioning compressor which he replaced. He seemed to think the ring was the contact of metal to the engine or something once the car was fully warmed.

Picked the car up this morning and so far so good, no noises.

Park the car up outside my house and as I'm walking to my front door turn round to press the lock button and notice a deep 2 inch triangle like scratch on the nearside door! Thanks, WKB.

Luckily the woman I'm dealing with seems to have some care and has agreed to take the car back in to repair the damage, but this is hardly good enough.

The loan car I returned this morning was an SR 1.3 57 plate, with 2k miles on the clock. Everything either squeaked, creaked, rattled or hissed. They seem to throw these cars together without a care in the world.

I am so disappointed by Toyota and wish I'd bought a BMW.

You don't buy Toyota for the quality feeling you get from prestige cars, neither for the performance of an Evo. You buy a Toyota because you want a practical car that goes okay, handles okay and starts every day at a relatively (although Toyotas are becoming expensive now) cheap price. One of my friends' dad owns an Audi A6, it's got nothing but troubles.

It comes as no surprise that dealerships are being referred to as stealerships whatever you own. They dent cars, stuff dissappair while the car is standing outside the dealers, they won't give you an apology, the mount things the wrong way etc. They hadn't mounted the grill in the lower mounts last time it was in, which scratched the bumper and the rad support, which has now rusted. Great job.

You don't buy Toyota for the quality feeling you get from prestige cars, neither for the performance of an Evo. You buy a Toyota because you want a practical car that goes okay, handles okay and starts every day at a relatively (although Toyotas are becoming expensive now) cheap price. One of my friends' dad owns an Audi A6, it's got nothing but troubles.

It comes as no surprise that dealerships are being referred to as stealerships whatever you own. They dent cars, stuff dissappair while the car is standing outside the dealers, they won't give you an apology, the mount things the wrong way etc. They hadn't mounted the grill in the lower mounts last time it was in, which scratched the bumper and the rad support, which has now rusted. Great job.

Well, we've had Toyotas for 7 years and this has been the first time I've seen problems. To be fair, the car isn't really at fault but the dealer network. I had a minor problem which should have been repaired the first time.

I didn't want high performance, just fuel economy in a car that can keep up with traffic, which it does. Although not a direct comparison, it was a Yaris or a 1 series regardless of the cost. Both are band B cars, both are quite small, but I chose a Yaris on its reliability record. The point I'm really making is I expected Toyota to actually care about protecting their long standing customer base.

Firstly, we are not all "Stealers" as you so rudely refer to!

Sure, there are good and bad dealers, a bit like estate agents, solicitors, debt collectors and so on. It is not unreasonable to have your car looked after whilst in the dealership for repair, but accidents happen. I witnessed one of our "Loyal" customers reverse into a customers car on our carpark, smashing the drivers door in and breaking the glass, the noise was horrific, what did the driver do? got out, looked at the damage, got back in and drove off. Now I wont go into all the messy details, but we had to break the bad news to our customer. This is not an isolated incident, we have a large carpark, and it never cease to amaze me how people are unable to reverse into a parking place. Like all other carparks, we suffer damage, mostly minor, to which we apologise for and put right (unlike your local council carpark would)

As for the Yaris quality, you just cant compare it to a BMW 1 series, the Yaris is a supermini, and the BMW is a small family car, in fact in the same class as an Auris. The BMW starts at 16K and the Yaris at about 8K, so you are looking at chalk and cheese. The Yaris is not "Thrown" together, and neither is any other model, you get a supermini that is value for money, good fuel economy, can keep up with traffic and in fact do all the things you want it to.

Believe me there are some very good "dealers" out there, if you dont like yours, go to another, they don't deserve your business, just dont tar us all with the same brush!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Parts King,

If my experience of my Yaris is anything to go by and the Avensis i had before that, then the quality is getting poor.

There seems to be a lack of quality control at some point, by some of the things i see on my car and other similar comments on this forum.

I have owned many Toyota's and from my experince, the quality, is now decidedly average.

I think there is a real lack of care creeping up on us here.

Techy

Parts King,

If my experience of my Yaris is anything to go by and the Avensis i had before that, then the quality is getting poor.

There seems to be a lack of quality control at some point, by some of the things i see on my car and other similar comments on this forum.

I have owned many Toyota's and from my experince, the quality, is now decidedly average.

I think there is a real lack of care creeping up on us here.

Techy

I agree.

I had a 54 plate Avensis as a loan car when our 05 Corolla was in for a CD autochanger fitment and it was totally screwed. The wheel bearings sounded like they were made of rust, everything rattled, the radio didn't work properly and that was on 5k miles. They gave this out to customers!

I don't expect 1 series segment performance etc, I just expect equal build quality and reliability throughout the range. Sure, you won't get the same level of refinement from the engine, nor would you get the same toys, but thats expected. I narrowed it down to 2 cars and no you cannot compare them like for like, I was merely comparing them for my purposes. By the way, the 1 series in its most basic form is available for around 14k from a broker, and a comparable Yaris (say the 1.8 SR?) is a similar price. They both have similar levels of space inside too.

Sure, there are good and bad dealers, a bit like estate agents, solicitors, debt collectors and so on. It is not unreasonable to have your car looked after whilst in the dealership for repair, but accidents happen. I witnessed one of our "Loyal" customers reverse into a customers car on our carpark, smashing the drivers door in and breaking the glass, the noise was horrific, what did the driver do? got out, looked at the damage, got back in and drove off. Now I wont go into all the messy details, but we had to break the bad news to our customer. This is not an isolated incident, we have a large carpark, and it never cease to amaze me how people are unable to reverse into a parking place. Like all other carparks, we suffer damage, mostly minor, to which we apologise for and put right (unlike your local council carpark would)

As for the Yaris quality, you just cant compare it to a BMW 1 series, the Yaris is a supermini, and the BMW is a small family car, in fact in the same class as an Auris. The BMW starts at 16K and the Yaris at about 8K, so you are looking at chalk and cheese. The Yaris is not "Thrown" together, and neither is any other model, you get a supermini that is value for money, good fuel economy, can keep up with traffic and in fact do all the things you want it to.

Believe me there are some very good "dealers" out there, if you dont like yours, go to another, they don't deserve your business, just dont tar us all with the same brush!

Kingo :thumbsup:

If you could give me the name of a relatively good dealer within 50 miles of Portsmouth, I'd be very grateful. Every Toyota garage I've come across so far have let me down in one way or another.

I guess you're pointing at me? Well, take a look around you, at Honda-Tech, VWVortex or this very forum. It seems like all are having some trouble with their respective dealers. Besides, you're bound to get played with when you work at a stealership. Oh, I mean dealership :P

Oh, and if you think I referred to dealers as "stealers" as in the way that they steal from cars, you misunderstood me. All I meant was that cars get broken into from time to time when they're outside the respective dealers. It might be a lack of security some places, I'm not saying it will happen to all cars that are with dealers or anything. Just that I have read certain posts on certain forums about how certain cars get broken into outside certain dealerships :D

Well, the noise is back now. Asking them to look again will probably cause me more grief / damage, so I'm just going to write to customer relations and hope they fund an independant mechanic to diagnose the fault. If they refuse I'll demand a refund.

Car went in today for the bodywork repair caused by the dealer. Took it in at 8.30 this morning, they called at 1.30pm to tell me the car won't be ready until tomorrow afternoon! Just to fix a scratch! I wouldn't mind but it was booked in nearly a week ago. Jokers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links