Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs On A Gx

starman

Hi All

I'm looking to buy my first Rav-4 and am a little confused over when ABS was first fittted to the GX mdel. A Parker guide which I purchased on-line says it was first fitted to the GX on 1st Jan 1998 but on Autotrader there are two 1995 GX's claiming to have ABS. One is private and one is trade. Is Parkers guide wrong?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm really excited about becoming a Rav owner.

Dave

Excellent choice o vehicle and nae doot wan o the experts will answwer ye when they get back frae the pub.

My 94 GX disnae have ABS. Hoowever, theres been a few posts on this forum quite recently aboot it. Tae check, there should be an ABS ECU mounted behind the passengers side kick panel if it has ABS. Ask the selller tae prove thats its got ABS by showing the ECU??

A've got to admit wi ma '94 RAV, the calipers werenae up tae whit ah expected, so ah changed them tae KAD racing 6 pot calipers. The braking power is immense....and as they say 70%+ of yer braking is oan the front wheels. Aifter aw o this time, I expereinced discs at the front being replaced mair frequently. I eventually traced it doon tae the affsife front caliper jammin on when it wis hot. The cars done 166k miles but wis laid up for twa years. The guys at The Garage in Wishaw wha' did the motor up said it can happen if there is a corrosion oan the 2 bolts that haud the caliper shoe on. IE thats the moving part o the caliper.

Take the car out fur a test drive and slam on the brakes. If its got ABS the pedal will vibrate unner yer right foot (or yer left if yer ambi-footerus). If nothin happens see a solicitor. If the cars screeches tae a halt then ye don't have ABS but do have a car that stops.

Kept it simple til the boys get back frae their pubs....

By the way, is it a 3 door or a 5 door?

Not been in the pub, been werkin.

I don't know enough about these 4.1s but for sure the magazines are often wrong so I don't rust them.

Somebody will bail us out soon!

Bothy have you tried left foot braking? I always press 30 times too hard!!!

Not been in the pub, been werkin.

I don't know enough about these 4.1s but for sure the magazines are often wrong so I don't rust them.

Somebody will bail us out soon!

Bothy have you tried left foot braking? I always press 30 times too hard!!!

Wan o the problems o having had spinal injury is that I have almost nil nerve reaction in my left leg, which means I hae tae go oan physical movement and aifter 10 years, it becomes pairt o yer reactions. Thats how I allaws walk in anti-clockwise circles.......

Will scan pages in the morning for fear o wakening ma carer.....

I looked again and it says that pre 2000 is in passenger sidekick area, but on the diagram, shows it as being under the bonnet!!!behind the ABS actuator. It also shows a datalink connector just below the actuator near the power steering fluid reservoir.... bit of a scunner! I'd read the blurb and didn't look closely at the pics so sorry if I've wasted yer time. I'll get the pages off asap..

Woke up at last....!

I have scanned 5 pages- links below and hopefully they will work...

first page

2nd page

3rd page

4th page

5th page

I think the 5 pages add up to 3Mb so at least they should be clear!

I'll post this - and the links seem to work...but you'll need to stand yer screen up sideaways!!!

Good luck

Woke up at last....!

I have scanned 5 pages- links below and hopefully they will work...

first page

2nd page

3rd page

4th page

5th page

I think the 5 pages add up to 3Mb so at least they should be clear!

I'll post this - and the links seem to work...but you'll need to stand yer screen up sideaways!!!

Good luck

Having looked at the pages, you'll need to open a page and then it opens in a new window, and then use the cursor to zoom into it. This way you should be able to read the codes page better.

You will notice from other posts that i have also been enquiring about abs, one thing i can confirm is that the datalink connector is where Both's diagram show's it to be and not in passenger kick panel.

I have rav4 registered april 1998 and it has abs fitted.

You will notice from other posts that i have also been enquiring about abs, one thing i can confirm is that the datalink connector is where Both's diagram show's it to be and not in passenger kick panel.

Well the manual was written for the USA market so i guess an Americans kick must be one sore thing!

Hi All

I'm looking to buy my first Rav-4 and am a little confused over when ABS was first fittted to the GX mdel. A Parker guide which I purchased on-line says it was first fitted to the GX on 1st Jan 1998 but on Autotrader there are two 1995 GX's claiming to have ABS. One is private and one is trade. Is Parkers guide wrong?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm really excited about becoming a Rav owner.

Dave

Dave, it may be different for the Mk 1 Rav, but if you have ABS when you turn the ignition on an ABS light

should come on, then go off again. I think, need to look at mine again :wacko:

Thanks for the replies guys especially Bothwell Buyer for the scans.

I'ts the three door that I'm after and I'm off to look at one tomorrow. 1996 GX on an N with 12 months MOT. It's done 100,000 but comes with FSH. They're asking £1495 which seems quite good based on other "for sales" that I've seen. Trouble is it's white with some funny patterns on the side.

If I don't like that then I have another to look at on Monday.

Can't wait to get one and I'll probably have a whole load more questions then.

Dave

Sorry Taff, I knew after that I'd meant to put the page links in your topic string! Hae-in tae deal wi some o the 5-doorers on heres gettin ma mind wasted!

A dark room and some deep breaths, i think......and maybe a few nips of tha amber stuff!

Got hold of a bottle of cask strength 61.8% Speyside so that might be enuf to start!!

I'ts the three door that I'm after and I'm off to look at one tomorrow. 1996 GX on an N with 12 months MOT. It's done 100,000 but comes with FSH. They're asking £1495 which seems quite good based on other "for sales" that I've seen. Trouble is it's white with some funny patterns on the side.

Dave

Dave

Have just seen rav 4 for sale locally, 5 door GX in British racing green

M plate

11 months mot

5 month tax

good tyres but not alloy wheels,general appearance looks good but didn't see it running

The guy is asking £1400, don't know what part of country your at?so

hope this can give you some guidance to whats out there, Taff

Dave

Dave

Have just seen rav 4 for sale locally, 5 door GX in British racing green

M plate

11 months mot

5 month tax

good tyres but not alloy wheels,general appearance looks good but didn't see it running

The guy is asking £1400, don't know what part of country your at?so

hope this can give you some guidance to whats out there, Taff

Bliiding hall

£1400 is at the top range of a RAV

5 door - whit fur?

If ye want alloys, I have 5 in reasonably good condition with all good/new tyres........

Not knowing the market, but is that a good/bad price?

5 doors are for the ankle snappers .

Mine has alloys makes all the difference :thumbsup:

Right , i went up into the cold loft this morning :rolleyes: and had a look in my RAV4 brochure collection and can list early RAV4

Right , i went up into the cold loft this morning :rolleyes: and had a look in my RAV4 brochure collection and can list early RAV4's with and without ABS....

At its launch in 1994 the 3 door has no ABS, in fact no 3 door had ABS except the July 1999 RAV4 GIANT.

First 5 door to get ABS was the VX in 1997.

RAV4 was face lifted in late 1997 ( clear front indicators ).

Only the 5 door GX and VX from around Feb 1998 onwards had ABS as standard, all the above data is for UK spec only, hope it helps ,

Bob :thumbsup: .

Thanks for the extra advice guys.

I bought a 1996 (N reg) 3door GX today for £1400. They're putting 12months MOT on it and I'm picking it up next week. As Bob points out, it didn't have ABS. It's done 100,000 miles

It's only got steel wheels and I do think the alloys look a lot better. Maybe in a few months if funds allow I'll start looking for a set.

Dave

Thanks for the extra advice guys.

I bought a 1996 (N reg) 3door GX today for £1400. They're putting 12months MOT on it and I'm picking it up next week. As Bob points out, it didn't have ABS. It's done 100,000 miles

It's only got steel wheels and I do think the alloys look a lot better. Maybe in a few months if funds allow I'll start looking for a set.

Dave

I do have a set of 16" used alloys with good tyres which has come off my RAV. As we have changed the calipers, it means that only the 18" wheels will now fit so the 16" are no use to me. From memory I think 1 tyre is flat (perhaps punctured?) and 1 tyre is brand new. The rest are ok....if you want them. I'll look at them in the morning cos I can't remember how many spokes they have and will check the make again. The wheel is no longer produced but it looked good on my RAV. Dunno where you stay, - for transport reasons.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links