• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ak1948

ak1948

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts
  • Toyota Model: Prius

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

I have a 2006 Prius and in December changed the tyres from original Bridgestones to Michelins. The mpg has increased by 20%! Iused to get about 53mpg in town on the Bridgestones and now get only 43mpg on the Michelins. Has anyone out there changed tyres to Michelins and had a similar problem?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 hedleyf

hedleyf

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Toyota Model: none

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

I have a 2006 Prius and in December changed the tyres from original Bridgestones to Michelins. The mpg has increased by 20%! Iused to get about 53mpg in town on the Bridgestones and now get only 43mpg on the Michelins. Has anyone out there changed tyres to Michelins and had a similar problem?

:D Hi
I presume you mean that your mpg has decreased? As Im aware Toyota stopped using Michelins because of increased tyre noise and drag, this could explain as any extra drag on a vehicle will increase mpg, also check your tyre pressures set them at 2.2 bar, some garages are misreading the information and setting them at 22psi .

#3 Chris Dance

Chris Dance

Chris Dance

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • First Name:Chris
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Prius T-Spirit Gen 3
  • Year: 2014

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

This may be a stupid question: Did you do the tyre calibration as stated in the handbook? If this was not done you would get inaccurate MPG readings.
I have seen Toyota cars in showrooms with michelins fitted, must admit though they were not Prius cars.

#4 ak1948

ak1948

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:52 AM

This may be a stupid question: Did you do the tyre calibration as stated in the handbook? If this was not done you would get inaccurate MPG readings.
I have seen Toyota cars in showrooms with michelins fitted, must admit though they were not Prius cars.

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by the 'tyre calibration as stated in the handbook' - could you explain please? I have looked in my handbook and can find no reference to 'tyre calibration' in the section which deals with tyres.

#5 Chris Dance

Chris Dance

Chris Dance

• Registered Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:53 AM

If you have not done the tyre calibration I think it may affect your MPG readings I am not sure if it is the problem but the calibration must be done aftyer tyre change.
Go to the Prius navigation system manual page 111. You have to go to the calibration screen and touch "tyre change calibration".
Doing this will adjust the miscalculation caused by the difference in circumference between the old and new tyres.
If this is not done vehicle position mark will be wrongly shown.
Please note this information is in the PRIUS NAVIGATION SYSTEM MANUAL NOT the Prius Owners Manual.
Hope this does solve your problem.
Chris.

#6 ak1948

ak1948

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

If you have not done the tyre calibration I think it may affect your MPG readings I am not sure if it is the problem but the calibration must be done aftyer tyre change.
Go to the Prius navigation system manual page 111. You have to go to the calibration screen and touch "tyre change calibration".
Doing this will adjust the miscalculation caused by the difference in circumference between the old and new tyres.
Please note this information is in the PRIUS NAVIGATION SYSTEM MANUAL NOT the Prius Owners Manual.
Chris.

Thanks for this Chris - I didn't know it existed! I have re-set the calibration so let's see what happens with the mpg reading.
I'll let you know when I've clocked up a few miles...

#7 ak1948

ak1948

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

Chris.

Thanks for this Chris - I didn't know it existed! I have re-set the calibration so let's see what happens with the mpg reading.
I'll let you know when I've clocked up a few miles...

Hi Chris. I have done the recalibration and no change, my Prius is still returning a measly 42/43 mpg. What is even more annoying is that I have written twice to Toyota about this and they haven't even bothered to reply.

#8 Chris Dance

Chris Dance

Chris Dance

• Registered Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

Checked my computer reading today. I am getting 49.6 MPG and that is urban driving. My Prius has Bridgestones. I have always had Michelins on all my cars except on my Avensis which had Dunlops. I do like Michelin tyres. Can you contact Michelin or your local Toyota dealer about your fuel consumption since the tyre change? I cannot understand why Toyota have not replied, you could phone the customer help line and complain.
I am told in warm weather you get a better MPG on the Prius than in the Winter.
Suggest you check your tyre pressures are 35 PSI front & 33 PSI rear.
Let me know what you find out please.
Regards Chris.

#9 doutfire

doutfire

• Registered Member
  • 11 posts
  • Toyota Model: prius t spirit

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

tyres
i have read very much about toyota prius before i bought my first prius i read the report of andrew grant
200.000 miles in twenty five months as taxi driver owner
i don,t know if the complete details are still on the web but andrew grant gave detail of complete service history
parts replaced and most of all most inportant detail about tyres if its still on the web under andrew grant or
toyota prius yellow cab driver vancouver ?
in my experiance as a long standing driver of most cars when car companys of today design a car
every detail is considered and that can be tyres road noise how it handles on diffrent tyres and toyota
would put the right tyre on the prius for the job when so much development went in to such a valueble car
so bottom line be original and stay with the tyres your car comes with and keep preasures correct
i say this because i cover many miles myself and want the best out of the best in economy of fuel
service and tyre wear and handleing i am on my 3rd prius and never had less than 52 miles per gallon
and at best summer time 60 miles per gallon my prius i have today one month old from new 4000 miles allready
i love this car and sometimes think the prius dose all the driveing i just go along for the ride
yours doutfire

#10 Chris Dance

Chris Dance

Chris Dance

• Registered Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hi doutfire,
You certainly do a fair few miles. Notice the fuel consumption I quoted for my car was all urban driving. I suspect yours was major roads motorways etc.
With regard to the tyres fitted to the Prius by Toyota. They are not all the same, I have bridgestones. My sons new prius has a different make fitted. At the moment I cannot recall the name of the tyres he has fitted but I have never heard of them. What make of tyre do you have on your Prius?
The Avensis comes fitted with varied makes of tyre including michelins.
I really cannot see how fitting michelins to the Prius can so drastically alter MPG. Although this seems to have happened in the case of ak1948.
I do agree with what you say about driving a Prius. I think it is the best car I have owned. Although it nearly got written off today when a huge foreign lorry failed to give way to the right on a roundabout. Good job the Prius has excellent responsive steering and brakes.
It would be good to get the tyre question sorted.
Happy motoring. Chris.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users