Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cranking Noise From Engine

jazzmaster

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can point me in the right director.

My family and I were driving down the SE yesterday, probably doing about 40mph, when all of a sudden a cranking sound started coming out of the engine. I quickly stopped the car, checked the engine. Just to be on the safe side I called the AA guys, they checked it and said it was coming from deep down the engine (not quite sure what he meant), and all he could do was tow us home.

The engine still starts and the car still moves, but the sound is not good. Just dreading going to toyota, not quite sure what to expect (bill-wise). Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jazz

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can point me in the right director.

My family and I were driving down the SE yesterday, probably doing about 40mph, when all of a sudden a cranking sound started coming out of the engine. I quickly stopped the car, checked the engine. Just to be on the safe side I called the AA guys, they checked it and said it was coming from deep down the engine (not quite sure what he meant), and all he could do was tow us home.

The engine still starts and the car still moves, but the sound is not good. Just dreading going to toyota, not quite sure what to expect (bill-wise). Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jazz

Guys, any suggestion for this? Cant get an appointment till next Wednesday.

Which engine have you got. Was the oil level low?

If it's the 1.8VVTi and it had used it's oil up then check the threads on here about excessive oil consumption.

If it's that then you may be in luck proving you have FSH and you check your oil level regularly (which you do, of course!)

Which engine have you got. Was the oil level low?

If it's the 1.8VVTi and it had used it's oil up then check the threads on here about excessive oil consumption.

If it's that then you may be in luck proving you have FSH and you check your oil level regularly (which you do, of course!)

Yes is it a 1.8VVTi, and yes there has been excessive oil consumption, which I am forced to top-up regularly. Though this was pointed out at the last services. The Oil level was still quite high when this problem happened. And I do have FSH.

Not quite sure were my luck comes in. Just hoping it is not as bad as I fear it might be. finally got an appointment tomorrow.

Not quite sure were my luck comes in.

Hopefully you'll be eligible for a new short engine under warranty, or possibly a whole engine if the failure has led to bits of metal entering the oil.

Toyota have been doing that on cars up to 7 years old (and perhaps older) due to the consumption problem.

Can't say for certain, but it's possible that your oil consumption got so bad that there was no oil left for the crank and its bearings have failed. If that's the case then I'd be wanting a whole new engine under warranty, or at the very least a new short engine + full inspection of the head to ensure that the damage was limited to the short engine area.

Good luck.

Not quite sure were my luck comes in.

Hopefully you'll be eligible for a new short engine under warranty, or possibly a whole engine if the failure has led to bits of metal entering the oil.

Toyota have been doing that on cars up to 7 years old (and perhaps older) due to the consumption problem.

Can't say for certain, but it's possible that your oil consumption got so bad that there was no oil left for the crank and its bearings have failed. If that's the case then I'd be wanting a whole new engine under warranty, or at the very least a new short engine + full inspection of the head to ensure that the damage was limited to the short engine area.

Good luck.

Ok, I am praying for good news tomorrow. Cos dread to think what the cost might be. Will let you guys know how I go

Ok, I am praying for good news tomorrow. Cos dread to think what the cost might be. Will let you guys know how I go

Yes, please do. Hope it works out for you.

If you get the new short engine then it's a result really. I've not heard of any failures of the updated block / pistons / rings etc so once the job's done normal Toyota reliability should be restored.

Good luck.

Yes, please do. Hope it works out for you.

If you get the new short engine then it's a result really. I've not heard of any failures of the updated block / pistons / rings etc so once the job's done normal Toyota reliability should be restored.

Good luck.

Ok, I managed to get the car down to a toyota dealer today. Started of by explaining what the problem was, and telling them that the last time i had it serviced which was about 6months ago, there were signs of acute oil shortage which they had noted. The guys there tried to fob me off with a " your car is over 5 yrs old" and we are not sure if the problem you are having has anything to do with oil shortage. I did insist that they were kind of connected, and I had the proof in my bag, had printed off comments from the Forum. Well they took the car in and I left. Wasnt totally satisfued, so I called Toyota, and mentioned the problem to them. initially the lady tried to hide the fact that there was a probelm, but later admitted that if my Engine was of the problematic range, by dealer would have to make a warantee claim.

Just got a call from my dealer to say a new Short Block would be put in under the extended warrantee, so I am well pleased. Not quite sure if this would affect sale later on though. but I am happy.

Just got a call from my dealer to say a new Short Block would be put in under the extended warrantee, so I am well pleased. Not quite sure if this would affect sale later on though. but I am happy.

That's a great result.

As to how it'll affect a future sale; it can surely only be positive. The short block replaces almost everything that can go wrong with the lower part of the engine.

I'd be very wary of a used early 1.8VVTi that hadn't had this work done. But they'll replace your engine with the parts used in the later cars (late 2002 or early 2003 onwards IIRC) so you effectively will have a car that shouldn't suffer from this problem again, and one with an almost brand new engine. Should be good for a couple of hundred thousand now. Why would you ever sell it?

I'd also add that lots of manufacturers have problems of this type, and it's impossible for any company to eliminate design faults 100%. But Toyota have relatively few issues, and when they do have something like this they usually do the right thing and fix the problem. I think if you'd had something like this with almost any other manufacturer you'd have a bill of several thousand pounds to deal with right now.

Think its 7yr/112500miles for the ZZ engine oil consumption issues. As long as you've got FULL service history and check your oil levels regularly, your Toyota dealer should carry out an oil consumption check. Any more than 1 litre per 1000 miles is considered excessive. Once the consumption check has confirmed the oil consumption, they should replace the short block and all gaskets etc. Usually no.4 pot goes first as it's furthest from the oil pump and the crank Shell bearings fail causing a seriously bad 'knock' from cold. I've seen an engine that has seized and chucked the con rod out the side of the block and sump pan. My only advice is to get it sorted as soon as you are aware of the problem!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links