Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Grinding Noise When Full Steering Lock

AvensisBugs

Hello all

Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of a strange grinding noise (which sounds like its coming from the front of the car) when on full right/left lock when steering? car details below. Ive been told by Toyota themselves when i last asked them to take a look, that this was 'normal' but im getting a little concerned.

Also, i had the alternator replaced a short while ago, but after it came back, the engine seems to rev quite high for about 1 to 2mins @ about 2000rpm, then gradually 1500rpm then 1000rpm after about 3 to 4mins...has the timing gone out of sync when they replaced the alternator?

cheers!!

ab

Hello- don't know about your grinding noise but on my 03 Avensis and my 98 Avensis when turning on full lock (like when reversing out of parking spaces) whines as long as you keep full lock engaged. I think it's the power steering motor trying to turn a bit more even though its at the end of the steering rack. I try to avoid holding it on full lock. Hope it helps.

Regarding the engine rpm, i assume you mean after a cold start. It sounds perfectly normal. The engine should rev around 2000 rpm in idle when cold, decreasing after a couple of minutes as you describe. At least all the cars i have had with fuel injection have done that

thanks guys, at least this assures me somewhat. Ive had little or very poor feedback from the Main Toyota centre i purchased this from!! pure sales with no aftercare.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links