Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Workshop Manual Required.

imperial1952

1) Where can i purchase or download a Manual for my 1.4 55reg Diesel Toyota Yaris?

2) This is the first Diesel car i have ever owned and i expected it to be noisier than a petrol one; but on start up when cold (first thing in the morning) it seems extremely noisy to me when revving the engine above 2000rpm through the gears. The noise disappears after about thirty seconds or so.

It sounds like tappets or the pinking noise you get when the timing on a petrol car is incorrect. :unsure:

Can someone re-assure me that everything is OK or should i take it back to Main Dealer i bought it from?

PS: I am extremely pleased with all other aspects of the car but especially so with its M.P.G.as i,m getting between 62 & 69 MPG on my daily 60 mile round trips to & from work.

• 5 months later...
1) Where can i purchase or download a Manual for my 1.4 55reg Diesel Toyota Yaris?

2) This is the first Diesel car i have ever owned and i expected it to be noisier than a petrol one; but on start up when cold (first thing in the morning) it seems extremely noisy to me when revving the engine above 2000rpm through the gears. The noise disappears after about thirty seconds or so.

It sounds like tappets or the pinking noise you get when the timing on a petrol car is incorrect. :unsure:

Can someone re-assure me that everything is OK or should i take it back to Main Dealer i bought it from?

PS: I am extremely pleased with all other aspects of the car but especially so with its M.P.G.as i,m getting between 62 & 69 MPG on my daily 60 mile round trips to & from work.

I've got the same problem. It's going to the dealer next week to look at it. SOme people on the Auris site have had a similar thing and seem to think it's a faulty injector. My car is a YAris D4D from 2004. Noise really kicks in at 2500 especially although it is always present unless your foot is to the boards. And it does sound exactly like really bad pinking!

I've got the same problem. It's going to the dealer next week to look at it. SOme people on the Auris site have had a similar thing and seem to think it's a faulty injector. My car is a YAris D4D from 2004. Noise really kicks in at 2500 especially although it is always present unless your foot is to the boards. And it does sound exactly like really bad pinking!

Thanks for answering my post.

I have had the car for the last 7 months (and now have 24,000 miles on the clock) but the noise is still there on start up and only when going above 2,500 rpm, but then goes away after 20/30 seconds.

I've got used to it now but would still like to know if it's normal or a sign of future problems.

Let us know what your local dealer says about yours :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

dealer is clinically deaf and can't hear it. I think they've a vested interest in not hearing it as they sold me the car. I plan to take it to an independent for diagnosis. The dealer offered to clean the EGR but I've cleaned it myself and whilst economy seems to have improved it hasn't affected the rattling noise. Bizarre thing is that somethimes it's very quiet, others it sounds like someone rattling a football ratchet round and round in the engine bay. As a mechanically symapetic person it is painful to hear.

You may have either a sticking valve or a sticking fuel injector.

The fact that the noise goes suggests it's not too bad.

Try using diesel fuel injector cleaner.. and see what happens.

dealer is clinically deaf and can't hear it. I think they've a vested interest in not hearing it as they sold me the car. I plan to take it to an independent for diagnosis. The dealer offered to clean the EGR but I've cleaned it myself and whilst economy seems to have improved it hasn't affected the rattling noise. Bizarre thing is that somethimes it's very quiet, others it sounds like someone rattling a football ratchet round and round in the engine bay. As a mechanically symapetic person it is painful to hear.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I've also cleaned my EGR and the noise is still there. If you take it to an independent garage let us know what they said.

I'll give the Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaner suggested by Madasafish a try. NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED?

GOOD LUCK.

I've also cleaned my EGR and the noise is still there. If you take it to an independent garage let us know what they said.

I'll give the Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaner suggested by Madasafish a try. NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED?

GOOD LUCK.

I've now tried the cleaner. Seems to make the pinking noise more reliable. Occurs more often now, if at slightly less volume. It seesm to be related to the turbo. My guess is that the turbo is not boosting for some reason. When it's boosting you can hear it (3K rpm and above) and the noise promptly stops. Below that (engine waiting for it to kick in) you get the pinking noise. It maty well be that there is some sort of leak in the "pipework " that supplies air to the turbo drive end. I assume that no boost = lean mixture. Problem is I can't figure out where to look to find leaks in this region. The other possibility is that the EGR is stickin gopen and recirculating gas when it should be feeding it to the turbo (maybe??). Car is still to be booked in

GOOD LUCK.

I've now tried the cleaner. Seems to make the pinking noise more reliable. Occurs more often now, if at slightly less volume. It seesm to be related to the turbo. My guess is that the turbo is not boosting for some reason. When it's boosting you can hear it (3K rpm and above) and the noise promptly stops. Below that (engine waiting for it to kick in) you get the pinking noise. It maty well be that there is some sort of leak in the "pipework " that supplies air to the turbo drive end. I assume that no boost = lean mixture. Problem is I can't figure out where to look to find leaks in this region. The other possibility is that the EGR is stickin gopen and recirculating gas when it should be feeding it to the turbo (maybe??). Car is still to be booked in

I've also tried the Diesel Injector Cleaner and it has made a big difference as the pinking/rattly noise in my yaris has virtually gone.

I hope it has now sorted my problem and won't return when i fill the tank up with fresh diesel :rolleyes:

I'll keep you informed.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my EGR is spanking clean now but I still have the problem. I'm off elsewhere to see if they can diagnose it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links