Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

P2002 = Particulate Trap Effieciency Below Threshold

Trev Miles

Is there any Toyota mechanics that read/visit this forum??

My car is: A 57 plate T180 Avensis and the engine management light keeps coming on!! This in turn also lights up the VSC and TRC lights and the car goes into limp mode and will not rrev above 2000rpm!! If I turn the ignition off for about 5 seconds the car will rev as normal and sometimes but not always go back into limp mode after a few miles. A diagnostic check brings the code P2002 up.

I have had the car from new and it runs on Shell low sulpher diesel. It has done 140,000 miles so far and has had a service every 10,000 miles as per the requirement.

Question 1. Does this car have a "Diesel particulate filter"? If so where is it??

Quetion 2. Can it be cleaned out like the EGR valve?

The Toyota dealership have quoted me £126 labour to see if they can locate the problem through further diagnosis!! This seems a pretty exact figure quoted just for diagnosis!! Seems to me that they may know the reason!!

Has anyone else experienced this issue??

My car is: A 57 plate T180 Avensis and the engine management light keeps coming on!! This in turn also lights up the VSC and TRC lights and the car goes into limp mode and will not rrev above 2000rpm!! If I turn the ignition off for about 5 seconds the car will rev as normal and sometimes but not always go back into limp mode after a few miles. A diagnostic check brings the code P2002 up.

I have had the car from new and it runs on Shell low sulpher diesel. It has done 140,000 miles so far and has had a service every 10,000 miles as per the requirement.

Question 1. Does this car have a "Diesel particulate filter"? If so where is it??

The Toyota dealership have quoted me £126 labour to see if they can locate the problem through further diagnosis!! This seems a pretty exact figure quoted just for diagnosis!! Seems to me that they may know the reason!!

The £126 is probably a set price, in the book at service reception for 'further diagnosis'. Whatever the fault, the charge for further diagnosis is £126 and then the price to fix whatever they find goes on top. Don't know the answer to your 2 questions but I can tell you the EGR is quite a common problem on any diesel.

The £126 is probably a set price, in the book at service reception for 'further diagnosis'. Whatever the fault, the charge for further diagnosis is £126 and then the price to fix whatever they find goes on top. Don't know the answer to your 2 questions but I can tell you the EGR is quite a common problem on any diesel.

The operative word in the quotation was 'if'. Surely the OBD code points them in the correct direction of the problem!!

Also I am sure that my car has not had the ECU remap that I have been reading about!! Would this show on the service history of works completed on the service sheets that they hand you once the service has been completed??

If you want to clean the EGR yourself there is a very helpful guide by moonshine mart posted on this forum.

Sounds to me like it could be a clogged EGR value / inlet manifold esp. after 140k - have you tried an italian tune up, taking it up to max revs through the gears and driving taking it up to 3.5k for a whole tank?

If you want to clean the EGR yourself there is a very helpful guide by moonshine mart posted on this forum.

Sounds to me like it could be a clogged EGR value / inlet manifold esp. after 140k - have you tried an italian tune up, taking it up to max revs through the gears and driving taking it up to 3.5k for a whole tank?

I have cleaned the EGr valve out the Italian tune up bit but.................................... That is not the problem!!! I have since found out this morning that there is a Toyota fix for the P2002 code that has been issued to all Toyota dealerships with the heading STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL!!! This document relates to all T180 engines!! When the fault code P2002 is discovered it means that the Catalytic converter is furbarred. The fix is as follows a new cat plus some larger pipes are fitted to the car at a cost of..................£1700+. However if your car is below the 60,000 miles and insde the 3 year warranty period it will be repalced FOC!!!!! Anything outside of this (Including extended warranty's) you will have to pay!!

THIS IS A KNOWN TOYOTA FAULT THAT HAS NOT BEEN PASED OUT TO THE OWNERS OF SUCH VEHICLES.

Toyota have a procedure plus part numbers for all replacement parts that are needed. So the dealership knew what my problem was all along!!!

Any Toyota mechanics or dealership working personnel want to post that STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL procedure on this forum to prove me wrong????

• 1 year later...

A ray of hope for those of you out of warranty on this P2002 Cat/particulate filter code problem. I bought a 2006 Corolla Verso T180 with 21k on the clock last January. Only a few days outside the 12 month used car warranty from Toyota I got the dreaded EML and limp mode. Fortunately disconnecting Battery reset the system and everything was fine for a couple of months. Then without warning the lights came on again but performance was the same. I reset manually but they kept coming on again after 30 -60 miles. Mileage now still only 42k!

Took it back to Toyota armed with postings on this site making sure they knew that I knew that it was a known problem. They started off with the usual software upgrade/EGR/injector checks/cleaning. They quickly decided that it was an internal cat failure and put in a complaint for request for cover out of warranty. They have agreed 100% cover for this replacement.

So, don't give up or pay out for this even if you are way out of time, warranty wise. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Hi all, Sorry to gatecrash your Avensis forum, but I feel it is a related and relevant issue! Apologies if this post is incorrectly placed though.

New to the forum, had my Corolla Verso T180 just 2 days now and had a problem within the first hour of ownership.

Got a 06 reg with 63k. Just over 4 years old, and diagnostics have thrown the p2002 and C1201 error codes at me.

Very concerned after reading this topic.

Anyway, the diagnostics show that previous error codes were wiped from my car 110km ago, which ironically is the exact mileage from the dealer to my house.

I have a strong feeling (!) that the dealer wiped the codes and sold me the car knowing there was a fault.

Will be talking (or shouting) with the dealer on Monday quoting the Sale of Goods Act as I decided not to take their pricey warranty.

My question though relates to out of warranty knowledge of this problem by Toyota.

Is a 4 year old car with 63k on the clock likely to be repaired free of charge by Toyota? I suspect not, but reading the above post got me thinking.

Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated,

A Very Angry Dave

I have cleaned the EGr valve out the Italian tune up bit but.................................... That is not the problem!!! I have since found out this morning that there is a Toyota fix for the P2002 code that has been issued to all Toyota dealerships with the heading STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL!!! This document relates to all T180 engines!! When the fault code P2002 is discovered it means that the Catalytic converter is furbarred. The fix is as follows a new cat plus some larger pipes are fitted to the car at a cost of..................£1700+. However if your car is below the 60,000 miles and insde the 3 year warranty period it will be repalced FOC!!!!! Anything outside of this (Including extended warranty's) you will have to pay!!

THIS IS A KNOWN TOYOTA FAULT THAT HAS NOT BEEN PASED OUT TO THE OWNERS OF SUCH VEHICLES.

Toyota have a procedure plus part numbers for all replacement parts that are needed. So the dealership knew what my problem was all along!!!

Any Toyota mechanics or dealership working personnel want to post that STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL procedure on this forum to prove me wrong????

All Bulletins are confidential. Also the above problem doesnt happen to every single DPF out there ( i have done 2 in since the T180 was released )

Toyota release various technical billetins / 'wanted' bulletins etc etc over the TOTSS system to dealerships.

As you say the recommended fix for your fault is a new CAT/FILTER and modified pipe which unfortunately is expensive :(

Mart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links