Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Rattle / Clatter

MEP's Yaris GS

Hello all.

Mum's Yaris has just started making a rattle clatter from the engine bay. She's just done 500-600 miles over the weekend going down to London and Sussex and then back.

I've just had a quick look after getting back from work and can't really would out what I could be. Sounded like one of our Classic Panda's did when low on gearbox oil, but with that it stopped when the clutch was pressed, but on mum's Yaris it dosen't. Sounds like its coming from the end of the engine with power steering pump etc.

Any idea's? Its a 2001 998cc with just under 110k on the clock.

Many thanks in advanced.

Jon.

Could be timing chain if your getting a clattering sound my 1.0 yaris 2000 has a silent clatter specially when called.

good luck with it pal

steve

Does the timing stay with the revs of the engine? Does it get louder are certain RPM? Is the engine full of oil?

What does it sound like. A rythmic clack? High pitched, or bassy?

Thanks for the replys guys. Does get more noticeable with rev's, but hard to hear from in the car as general engine noise drowns it out. Noticeable more if you blip the throttle.

Oil level is fine.

Car went upto mechanic today who said it sounded like valve clearence :huh:

He's going to be looking at it sometime this / next week when he can fit it in, we're taking it up tomorrow and leaving it with him. For now mum is having to make do with my Stilo (leaving me carless, lol).

Random question as I can't find our haynes manual for the Yaris, when the rocker cover is removed will it affect the head or cam, or is the rocker cover just that 'A cover'?

Thanks again. Jon.

Before you let any mechanic rip the thing apart, check it's nothing as simple as a broken heatsheild.

Could be this rattling against the exhaust system or manifold esp if it has a sheild near the front of the car, ie engine.

I don't know if the 1.0 Yaris have them there or not but other 1.0 owners on here might know?? :huh:

If it's valve clearances that need checking i doubt that they would just suddenly start to rattle though.

Plus if the valves were that far out (to cause rattling) i doubt the car would drive very well.

Just don't get ripped off with it. Ie, "Oh it needs a new gearbox mate!!" :angry:

Good luck. ;)

Before you let any mechanic rip the thing apart, check it's nothing as simple as a broken heatsheild.

Could be this rattling against the exhaust system or manifold esp if it has a sheild near the front of the car, ie engine.

I don't know if the 1.0 Yaris have them there or not but other 1.0 owners on here might know?? :huh:

If it's valve clearances that need checking i doubt that they would just suddenly start to rattle though.

Plus if the valves were that far out (to cause rattling) i doubt the car would drive very well.

Just don't get ripped off with it. Ie, "Oh it needs a new gearbox mate!!" :angry:

Good luck. ;)

Hiya Raeman, thanks for the tips. Will check for heat shields. Don't think there are any though on our Yaris except above the CAT. And dosen't sound to much like a heat shield rattle if you know what I mean.

I see what your saying about the valve clearances, but this is a 'just beginning' rattle if that makes sence. It is fairly minor at the mo, but we're the sort of people who notice things early and like to sort them. Our mechanic is a good chap, knows what he's doing etc, and will try and fix and adjust things rather than land you with a costly bill. He's yet to work on a Yaris lump though and is just wondering if the rocker cover is holding anything in place or not as it will make the job easier / longer?

It could well be the timing chain is starting to rattle slighty.

I'm sure that Toyota quote service intervals at 100k for the chains.

As your's has done 109k it might well be that.

If it is the chain, i don't know if they have tensioners on them that you can adjust or wether there self adjusting. Others might know on here though.

Failing that, your mech guy could just fit a new chain. ;)

It could well be the timing chain is starting to rattle slighty.

I'm sure that Toyota quote service intervals at 100k for the chains.

As your's has done 109k it might well be that.

If it is the chain, i don't know if they have tensioners on them that you can adjust or wether there self adjusting. Others might know on here though.

Failing that, your mech guy could just fit a new chain. ;)

Many thanks :)

If your mechanic has never worked on a Yaris before, you are spending your money educating HIM for free.

It is possibe you have a faulty timing chain, or a faulty engine pulley or a loose heatshield (as mentioned)... . etc.

I'd go to someone who knows about a Yaris...

The Haynes manual on timing chain renewal spells out over 30 different steps...and frankly your mechanic - unused to a Yaris- will have to check the specifications of various parts are in tolerance..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links