Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Turbo Problem

debrun

Two days after buying (privately) Rav4 2002 D4D the engine management light came on. THis appears to be a common enough problem. My local technician diagnosed it as Turbo Malfunction P1250. He could not tell when it first occured. Could a Toyota main dealer establish this? If he could it would have implications for the sellor of the car as I was told it did not have any problems.

Would be grateful for any advice. Liam.

Two days after buying (privately) Rav4 2002 D4D the engine management light came on. THis appears to be a common enough problem. My local technician diagnosed it as Turbo Malfunction P1250. He could not tell when it first occured. Could a Toyota main dealer establish this? If he could it would have implications for the sellor of the car as I was told it did not have any problems.

hi liam this could be an old code you didnt say if you had a problem with the car please give as much information as posible as there is a lot of good guys on here willing to help you . i am new on here myself.

Hii Liam

It's understood you ve purchased a 2nd hand car and i deem you ve not seen service book with records. It had to be the first thing asked from your side to evaluate. Basing on your stastement - i presume both turbo and injectors have to be maintenanced. The turbocharger's fault is an indicator of poor injection. Pay attention on the EGR valve -- it must also be dirty inside by carbon deposits -- the reason is the same as above. For sure the dealer can rectify this turboo fault. But sometimes this job can be managed by a good private garage delaing with turbo repair. The easiest way is to purchase a repair kit for this turbo and have this one dismantled + cleaned + changed all consumables (belong to this repair kit). Ask for Parts King to assist with this kit at coompetitive price. Yes the seller's task is to sell the car but your task was to assure yourself what do you buy. Good Luck/Igor

Has the fault code been cleared? sometimes just clearing it will be enough for a while at least? I don't think there is a way of knowing when the fault first occurred however you may have an arguement due to the short time span. You might get something back towards the cost of repair if one is needed. It depends on how much you are prepared to argue. Talk to trading standards for more advice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links