Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Am I In The Oil Burning Club

gavin32

HI I HAVE A 2003 VVTI 1.8 AVENSIS 84000 MILES ON THE CLOCK SERVICED EVERY 10000 MILES .WITHIN THE LAST 30000 MILES I VE USED ABOUT 3 LITERS OF OIL TOPING IT UP .SO IM USING ABOUT A LITER OF OIL BETWEEN MY 10000 SERVICE .WOULD THIS BE CLASSED AS AN OIL BURNER AND IF NOT HOW HAVE I ESCAPED THE DREADED 1000/1 LITER SITUATION.THANKS IN ADVANCE GAVIN

HI I HAVE A 2003 VVTI 1.8 AVENSIS 84000 MILES ON THE CLOCK SERVICED EVERY 10000 MILES .WITHIN THE LAST 30000 MILES I VE USED ABOUT 3 LITERS OF OIL TOPING IT UP .SO IM USING ABOUT A LITER OF OIL BETWEEN MY 10000 SERVICE .WOULD THIS BE CLASSED AS AN OIL BURNER AND IF NOT HOW HAVE I ESCAPED THE DREADED 1000/1 LITER SITUATION.THANKS IN ADVANCE GAVIN

hi GAVIN

yes this issue is well know and common for 1ZZ-FE engines. It is correctly originates by 50k-70k kms due to pistons overheating resulting the oil is converted into a slag clogging drain holes on the oiston skirt. it is the main reason. No any way to cure it but only either to change short engine or to clean all piston grooves (for nest 50k kms). As you state 3 ltr pre 10k miles -- it is still in limits basiing on the Toyota records in the Manual. Friendly speaking I have been using 6 ltr between each oil change intervals. So - in case you had all scheduled services then this problem is entittled to be claimed under warranty since Toyota has extended it up to 7 years (in ccase you can prove all services as per manual provided with respective stamps and signatures of an Authorised garages).Good Luck/Igor

Would the clogging up be aleviated by using flushing oil? I've never seen this recommended for the Avensis but in the dim and distant past the use of flushing oil was not uncommon for other cars.

Would the clogging up be aleviated by using flushing oil? I've never seen this recommended for the Avensis but in the dim and distant past the use of flushing oil was not uncommon for other cars.

no MATE

it would be great but neither solvents nor flash oil woul disolve these slags but only two ways ---- dismantling and cleaning or changing nonf short motor with normal pistons cooled (or disigned correctly) to prevent overheating. I have relevant photoes that can be sent to your email ID.

Cheers/Igor

IT's OK, mate, I believe you! My car's just coming up to 60,000 so should i be on the lookout for a drop in oil levels?

IT's OK, mate, I believe you! My car's just coming up to 60,000 so should i be on the lookout for a drop in oil levels?

hello again

yours is from 2002 -- i do not think that the engine you maintain is another than mine in last (Avensis's) -- so mine has started to consume too much oil by 75k kms. You have to be worry about by this milage. By the way -- what an=bout warranty??? WHether yours is still under?? You did not state yet - in cacse of positive then RUN to Toyota and claim it. Of course it is cheapper to add oil than to overhaul the engine. But I deem it is Toyota's responsibility to be responsible for their product -- but you have to prove service history.

Cheers/Igor

SO IM USING ABOUT A LITER OF OIL BETWEEN MY 10000 SERVICE .WOULD THIS BE CLASSED AS AN OIL BURNER AND IF NOT HOW HAVE I ESCAPED THE DREADED 1000/1 LITER SITUATION.THANKS IN ADVANCE GAVIN

Cars always use some oil so 1litre/10,000miles is pretty good. No need to take any action (beyond checking levels and topping up) and no dealer should be recommending anything.

SO IM USING ABOUT A LITER OF OIL BETWEEN MY 10000 SERVICE .WOULD THIS BE CLASSED AS AN OIL BURNER AND IF NOT HOW HAVE I ESCAPED THE DREADED 1000/1 LITER SITUATION.THANKS IN ADVANCE GAVIN

Cars always use some oil so 1litre/10,000miles is pretty good. No need to take any action (beyond checking levels and topping up) and no dealer should be recommending anything.

hi mate

One ltr is not more than six. In case of 1 ltr -- it is very good and one can shut own eyes on it -- it is quite normal and in limits.

Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links