Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg

Lynshut

HI folks

Has anyone taken notice of their MPG results? Mine seems to be guzzling the petrol for some reason, my average is 45mpg - truly awful! I previously owned a micra and even that was more!

I am now wondering if it's to do with the air conditioning eating the gas or maybe the tyre pressure?

Any feedback on this appreciated.

I've been doing short urban trips (less than 3 miles) for the last month and I've averaged 51mpg. The climate control has been on all the time, used lights and wipers as normal. Rarely take it past 2krpm though which probably helps.

My average has been 56mpg over the 2,700 miles I've done so far.

Estimates for air con are usually that it takes 10-15% extra petrol when you're using it. It also may be worthwhile checking your tyre pressures, since some dealers pump them up in the knowledge that not many people actually check them regularly - ideally once a week if possible.

Another point to note, which has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, is that the engine requires 3-4k miles on it before it will return stated spec mpg (or close to it).

I've always known that air con. does contribute to fuel consumption, but I don't know why. Anyway, why on earth do you have it on up here in Scotland?

Rob

I've always known that air con. does contribute to fuel consumption, but I don't know why. Anyway, why on earth do you have it on up here in Scotland?

Rob

Hey, that's a fair point just dunno how to work the damn airflow never mind aircon!! It's fiddly.

Did you check if your gauge works well ? juste note the gallons and miles and check if you find the same thing as the car does

Mine is about 45-50mpg because I drive quite hard & fast most the time. Consumption will vary person to person depending on driving styles. When I get my flat cap & slippers I may drive it nicely & get more mpg.... :naughty: The car has now done 5500 miles so all run in too. Never have done anywhere near stated figures unless doing 55-60mph downhill with a wind behind me!

I now have 7k miles under my belt and as you can see below am averaging 56mpg. My worst was 50mpg when I was tanking down to Heathrow on the motorway, but I have achieved 58mpg on my A road 50 mile round trip to work and back (and it's not like I was pretending to be a sunday driver :D)

My last fill up said I'm averaging 60mpg which I'm pleased about, since this is country driving & includes some short trips & no motorways. Also quite a lot of hills. I've had my iq2 for about 2 months & done about 900 miles. I find it makes a huge difference if I change gear when the arrows say that I should. But I've never had less than 54 mpg & that was all very short trips.

If you always change gear when the arrows tell you to, you must be in fifth by 35mph? That is not good for the engine at all & also you are missing the cool bit when you are in second or third & it suddenly bites & the car really goes well. Sally may know what I mean :)

If you always change gear when the arrows tell you to, you must be in fifth by 35mph? That is not good for the engine at all & also you are missing the cool bit when you are in second or third & it suddenly bites & the car really goes well. Sally may know what I mean :)

Indeed, those raging 67 ponies can't wait to escape and rip the tarmac to pieces. I find it quite unlikely that Toyota would fit a device effectively telling you to damage the engine. They're not daft.

Back on topic, I filled up yesterday after doing 56 miles with the fuel gauge blinking at me. I got 31.7 litres in, so in theory I only had 0.3 litres left in the tank :)

Indeed, those raging 67 ponies can't wait to escape and rip the tarmac to pieces.......

Well, they must have fitted traction control for a reason.... ;)

They probably fitted Traction control because you cant get a 5* EuroNcap rating anymore, unless about 75% of the cars the company makes are fitted with it. By the way, I'm getting about 53-54mpg after 1200 miles, mostly on A roads, no excessive speeding change at about 2500-3000 revs. :( :angry: :(

I'm managing about 43 MPG now in my CVT auto, mostly hilly, twisty country roads, with a few A roads thrown in. :rolleyes:

Used to get about 36 when I first had it. Must be due to the engine running in. :rolleyes:

Still a bit disappointing, but I do put my foot down sometimes.

Indeed, those raging 67 ponies can't wait to escape and rip the tarmac to pieces. I find it quite unlikely that Toyota would fit a device effectively telling you to damage the engine. They're not daft.

I think if you read quite a few posts on here lots of people were discussing how ridiculous the gear change indicator is as it tells you to change up far too early. Do not quote me saying "damaging the engine" when I merely stated not too good for it.

And yes you can have fun with 67hp but not ripping up the tarmac. Fun does not always have to be measured by how big your equipment is, sometimes it is what you can do with it :lol:

Jaine

Getting 37 mpg on mine (1.33l) Driving in traffic and town all the time, no A roads or motorway at all and driving like a bat out of hell aswell up to the speed limit :D Redlining many times per journey. Average spped 14.1 mph over last 142 miles. If i try running on A roads and motorway (went on a 140 mile round trip recently) got 47mpg but i still drive foot to floor for overtaking etc so not fuel effecient style. (i never bought to the car to be slow with) In contrast, same driving style in my focus st170 i had before gave town mpg of 19.3mpg when driving slow, 12.9mpg when driving fast and 33 mpg on motorways. All in all i drive towns 95% of time so get nearly 3 times the miles in the iq than in the focus and while driving hard (but in the speed limits)

I just need TRD to develope a turbo now for it so i can get this thing to track days. Got a few £££ ready and waiting for it...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links