Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Quiet

REDBANKUK

I am wondering whether to buy an Auris.

My main needs are a peaceful and quiet cabin with enough power for motorways - I only drive about 4000 miles per year.

Do you thik the Auris gives a peaceful ride ?

In Ny opinion yes it does. There are people on here who have problems with rattles and sqeaks. I Have a T180 and its silent. I f you are onlu doing low mileage then just have one of the petrol models.

Thanks

There is enough power but for example 1.6 petrol is using way too high revs on the motorway speeds (over 100km/h) and that's what makes it really loud and unpleasant to drive at such high speeds... There is no other noticeable problems that'd come to my mind as it is an ordinary car in it's class if you compare the standards.

Best regards, Alex

There is enough power but for example 1.6 petrol is using way too high revs on the motorway speeds (over 100km/h) and that's what makes it really loud and unpleasant to drive at such high speeds...

The new Auris 1.6 has new transmission with 6 gears. Maybe it became more silent.

The new Auris 1.6 has new transmission with 6 gears. Maybe it became more silent.

That is true, and I believe it really is more quiet. I can admit that I forgot about the new model, still thinking that my car is the only one Auris, but the time is going forward all the time, I will try to remember it from now on :D Still I'd like to tell you that many countries/dealers are still selling only old models so have to be careful when choosing :rolleyes:

Best regards, Alex

t180/sr180 models are a beast, i only do about 4k miles a year and i love my t180, lots of inline power

Mine is v.quiet on the m-way, t180 is effortless but i would look at the 2.0d in TR. If you only do m-way the TR might be a nicer (softer) ride as the SR has bigger tyres and (i think) lower suspension.

1.6 is too noisy on the m-way and doesn't have enough go to make it a serious contender for m-way unless you go for the 6 gear version, but i haven't driven than one.

I don't have rattles but i do get the odd squeak if i go over very rough road but its only broken tarmac for example which results in any noise.

2.0 D-4D is very nice and revs a quite at 2000 revs at 70mph. 2.0/1.9 diesels have 30% less torque against the T180 but has 3 times as much as a typical 1.6 petrol car. Motorway driving and hill climbing is fun due to these torque levels.

The seats are like sofers (take some getting used too). Drove 650 miles last weekend and yes I felt tired but I was comfirtable.

In the back seats there is wind noise but you do not get it in the front.

My main needs are a peaceful and quiet cabin with enough power for motorways - I only drive about 4000 miles per year.

Hi,

I have the SR180, motorways I find mine ok, but, being honest, my previosu Avensis was really quiet, but then it was not an SR180!!

Tyre noise on the SR is not to clever. Power is superb, so you would have no concerns there. Overall the Auris is a decent car (in my opinion).

Best wishes

Paul

New 1.6 6 speed MUCH quieter at motorway speeds.....only turning over at 3000 rpms at 70 mph (110 km) so have a try. Plus new engine is very sweet and loves to rev.

Red line is nearly 7000 rpm!!

Ian

Thanks EVERYONE for letting me know what you think of your Aurises :)

I am going to get out there and have a drive in one soon.

I don't quite understand being so focused on quietness and power on motorways if you only do 4000miles a year, 40,000 I would agree but 4k it is not worth it... but in my opinion

There are more peacefull and quieter cars...

and it depends on

Road surface, tyre choice, engine, wind noise, etc... etc...

To reduce road noise, get softer tyres (rather than eco-friendly ones) , The dunlops provided with the car are not great. OK but not great, i can hear them a little bit too much on motorway runs... but I need durable tyres so I have to accept this compromise...next set of tyres are michelin primacy HP, i don't expect them to be any better for road noise...as they say they are long lasting...

To reduce engine noise in motorway, get yourself a diesel, as the lower engine revs will help with cabin noise. My 2.2 diesel at 70mph is turning at just under 2000rpm, making it extremley quiet ( for engine noise) i cannot hear the engine in normal motorway cruise... and it pulls well in 6th...

The problem with reducing road noise and engine noise is that you then bring to the surface the WIND NOISE and interior rattles and squeaks which are really bad in my view, and not much you can do about windnoise ( the car frontal area and Cd don't lend itself for cutting through the wind...)

Tyre noise on the SR is not to clever. Power is superb, so you would have no concerns there. Overall the Auris is a decent car (in my opinion).

Best wishes

Paul

Does the Sr180 have Bridgestone tyres as standard, the reason I ask is my old CTR did and the road noise was very loud but when I changed to Yoko's was better but the CTR was known for load road noise. The T180 on dunlops is very quite

Best wishes

Paul

Does the Sr180 have Bridgestone tyres as standard, the reason I ask is my old CTR did and the road noise was very loud but when I changed to Yoko's was better but the CTR was known for load road noise. The T180 on dunlops is very quite

BS tyres are really weird lot... they are a very good handling tyre, but they need heat, so you need to rag them a bit and keep them warm in order to get the best grip out of them, but they are a hard compound and even ragging the tyres they last reasonable well for the performance they can give. However if it is cold weather, wet, or not had a chance to warm them up properly, they are not great and so in the UK I find they don't lend themselves to show their true capability...and because they are a hard compound they are noisy...

I ran them on my past car (350Z) and ended up changing to michelin pilots SP1's and the step change in noise and grip in UK weather and roads, was much better...

Best wishes

Paul

HI RickD4D,sorry for late reply, been off a few days!

yes I do have the B/S's, you mention Yoko's and Dunlops, which would you say is the better all rounder?

Thanks

Paul

My T180 come with factory fitted Dunlop sp sport 01 and to be fair they have done 27k from new and still at least 10k left in them (I did rotate front to rear at 16k) but I do think they are over priced. I had Yokohama Parada spec 2 215/40/17 on the CTR and they was very good and easily out lasted the oem Bridgestone pots by about 3k, I will point out that the CTR is very hard on tyres and that the fronts only last about 12k and the rears 18k. The other good point was the Yokos where about £45 a tyre cheaper at only £60 on eBay each but you cant get these in a 215/45/17.

I fancy a set of these to replace the Dunlops http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/225-45-17-94Y-XL-VRE...id=p3286.c0.m14. I will point out that the Dunlops have lasted well and are quite on the road.

My T180 come with factory fitted Dunlop sp sport 01 and to be fair they have done 27k from new and still at least 10k left in them (I did rotate front to rear at 16k) but I do think they are over priced. I had Yokohama Parada spec 2 215/40/17 on the CTR and they was very good and easily out lasted the oem Bridgestone pots by about 3k, I will point out that the CTR is very hard on tyres and that the fronts only last about 12k and the rears 18k. The other good point was the Yokos where about £45 a tyre cheaper at only £60 on ebay each but you cant get these in a 215/45/17.

I fancy a set of these to replace the Dunlops http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/225-45-17-94Y-XL-VRE...id=p3286.c0.m14. I will point out that the Dunlops have lasted well and are quite on the road.

Hi Rick'D4D'

thanks for the reply and link, am checking it out.

Cheers

Paul

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links