Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Tax

craigy37

So how does it work when you are excempt from road tax do you still have to have a tax disk on show seems a waste fo time for the dvla if it does. Sorry if its a silly question was just sat here talking about it with the mrs.

Yes you do still need to have a tax disc in your car, even though its free.

Thee are vehicle classes which are free but they still need to display a tax disc, the main ones being Historic vehicles and Disabled tax class.

Its a legal requirement to display a tax disc, its a fineable offence if you dont. Not sure if this is everywhere, but around here, a car park ticket attendent can now report you for not displaying a tax disc. If you arent displaying one they would presume your car is SORN off the road, which means it shouldnt be on a public road.

Not really a waste of time for the DVLA, its just their system for accounting for who is taxed and who is not.

Once your car is three years old, a tax disc ensures that you have an MOT. :rolleyes:

Hi

Another TAXing Question! Did any of you who scrapped their cars under the Scrappage Scheme been allowed to take off the tax disc to get a refund.. Heard that some people had to surrender to the dealer here ( a scam I think! )... ?

The Official Line (http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/sectors/automotive/scrappage/FAQs/page51710.html) Says:

Does the dealer need to keep the tax disc when I trade in my old vehicle?

No, the tax disc should be returned to you so that you can claim a refund if appropriate. To get a refund you’ll need to complete a V14 ‘Application for a refund of vehicle tax’. Send the form and the tax disc to Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL.

There is no need for the dealer to retain your tax disc. ***It is not a requirement of the scrappage scheme ***. The dealer may wish to keep a copy.

I have yet to swap my ol' banger so would like to know what experience you had on this..thanks....

Just cos you have a tax disc, does not guarantee that you have tax and insurance. Yes you need valid insurance certificate and MOT for the day the disc comes into force but what if your insurance or MOT runs out just after that?

Or what if you buy a car that has tax on it? Doesnt mean you have to MOT and insure it

I forgot to take out my Tax disc from the '96 Astra I scrapped when I got my IQ.

After phoning the dealer, they sent it out the next day and I was able to claim back the 2 months left on it :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links