Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlamp Condensation

baza103

Hi

Have just noticed a lot of condensation in 1 of my headlamps in my 3 week old Aygo? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Looks like the first warranty visit to Mr T is required? :(

Hey

Welcome to the club

I had the same problem with my previous car. I used to drive a 106,and fitted new rear "lexus" lights at the rear. They where new lamps, and got condenstaion in them.

I checked the fitment, and I hadnt fitted them properly, and there was a gap between the light, and the body work. So whenever I was the car or it rained. Water would get into the lamp, and when the sun hit the lamp the next day. It always misted up. :(

Check the fittings of the lamp. Make sure the ruvver seal at the rear is fitted tightly onto the body work. Check if there`s any cracks where water could get in.

Hope this helps

Have a look under the bonnet and there will be a rubber seal behind the headlights. I had to take this off when I changed my Headlamp bulbs. I guess if thats not fitted on properly then that might be whats causing the condensation

Assuming the lamps aren't blocked (which on a new car they shouldn't be). Two things cause this

1) Washing the car with hot water

Don't! Use cold/lukewarm :rolleyes:

2) Cold weather + headlamps on.

The headlamp bulb warms up the air inside the lamp cluster. This happens fairly slowly so no condensation is caused. However in cold weather the outside of the lamp get's incredibly cold and the bulb is unable to warm the section of the lens by the indicator. This creates a pocket of colder air, as the cold air and warm air meet against the plastic lens it causes condensation. This seems to happen to everyone, there's no way around it. When the weather warms up, the condensation goes away :)

Hi There.

Mine does this but VERY rarely.

Usually, after washing the car on a warm day or parking

in the sun after a downpour.

About 10 times in 2.5 years' ownership.

I was concerned the first time but it doesn't appear to be a long term problem.

Dries out quickly with no lasting effects.

Ian.

hmm...

My aygo is only a few weeks old and last night i spotted some condensation in the right hand side headlamp - it was in the very corner where the indicator bulb is.

I will check the things mentioned above, but if not, is it worth having it replaced?

Hi

Have just noticed a lot of condensation in 1 of my headlamps in my 3 week old Aygo? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Looks like the first warranty visit to Mr T is required? :(

hi, headlamp needs to BE REPLACED. Nothing else will work...

get it to your dealer, and he will have to replace it with a naw one... had the same problem 2 years ago !!! problem solved .....

That is not condensation at all, it's water entered inside. If your car is under the warranty, change the headlight.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links