Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Experiences Of Buying A Prius

TGL

I thought I would share my experiences with the world on my attempts to buy a brand spanking new Prius Spirit. If truth be known it's a bit of a moan, but also I'm curious to see if it's just me or if other folks have had similar issues.

- Entering the dealership I was met with nonchelant glances by staff, who to their defense were busy, but not enough to find out what I wanted. Finally after waiting 20 minutes a non salesperson came to speak to me to ask me what I wanted. A test-drive which I had pre-booked.

- Talking to the salesperson after the test drive I explained what options I wanted and the colour of the Prius: pure white with the protection and style packs.

The response was that they couldn't do the protection pack for a pure white prius!!! Besides, they said I don't really need the protection pack.

- I also decided to go for the sun-roof option. Again, the response was that I could have it but it was a gimmick.

- Finally I asked for DAB radio. The price was 400 pounds including labour, which I thought was a bit rich considering many top-of-the-range new cars include DAB. After much research on DAB"s future, I must admit I am pleased I did not pay the extra money for this option. The FM switch-off is unlikely to happen by 2015. The current DAB standard will be out-of-date by then (DAB+ and DVB-H will likely come in), and as far as I can tell you won't be able to upgrade the current Prius DAB radio to the new standard with a simple and cheap upgrade. Finally DAB in cars can be very choppy according to a friend who has a Range-Rover (the irony is not lost on me :D ).

So to sum-up I got the impression that all the dealership wanted to do was sell me a basic Prius Spirit. I couldn't have pushed the money down their throats. What gives? Anyone else have this experience?

So to sum-up I got the impression that all the dealership wanted to do was sell me a basic Prius Spirit. I couldn't have pushed the money down their throats. What gives? Anyone else have this experience?

Oh, I had a similar experience, just not quite as bad.

What was blindingly obvious is that they wanted me to have a car now....

Protection pack - didn't need it apparently. Didn't care, wanted it.

Sunroof - pointless in this country apparently, and the 15" wheels were naff, apparently. Was told by the salesman he "wouldn't let me order it".

Offered a T4 instead of a TSprit, go on, have one, it'll be much quicker.

Do you like the demo car? You can have that next weekend.

For whatever reason they didn't want me to order anything on long lead time. To be fair I didn't want to wait. But as my wife put it "you may as well wait and get what you want, than have tomorrow what you don't".

To make things more interesting, because of the lead time, they decided they couldn't a) give me a proper price on the part ex, nor B) proper arrangement on finance.

In short I had to put down a deposit, wait months and then take a gamble as to how much I'd get P/X and how much/what rate I'd get with finanace.

Mid Jan I'm told, and that was ordered end of August.... depending on the above I may well just forfeit my deposit and walk.

In short, very unhelpful, not impressed.

Sunroof - pointless in this country apparently, and the 15" wheels were naff, apparently. Was told by the salesman he "wouldn't let me order it".

No offence to anybody with the Solor panel roof but I have to agree with the salesman. California, yeah great idea, Britain???? :huh:

To make things more interesting, because of the lead time, they decided they couldn't a) give me a proper price on the part ex, nor B) proper arrangement on finance.

In short I had to put down a deposit, wait months and then take a gamble as to how much I'd get P/X and how much/what rate I'd get with finanace.

Try a different garage!

I was worried about the value of my part ex while waiting for the car to arrive but my saleslady told me it was the policy of the dealership to honour the agreed valuation (providing no major disaster stuck the car) from the day the deal was done until delivery. :thumbsup:

Just the way it should be. :yes:

I am sorry that both of you have had less then wonderful experiences but I cannot praise the dealership and the sales staff at my local Toyota garage, high enough. :thumbsup::toast::toast:

We tried very hard to buy our Prius from the dealership nearest our home. We went along one evening when there were hardly any customers around, and absolutely no sales staff to be seen. We asked at the service counter and were told, 'he's on the phone'. Only one sales apparently. So we went back the following day and managed to speak to a salesperson who said she would phone us to arrange a test drive when the demonstrator model came in - probably two days later. No phone call but we knew the car was there, so we phoned. Yes, the saleswoman would phone us back the next day to arrange a test drive. No phone call.

Two days later we went to the next nearest dealership, did a test drive, signed on the dotted line for leather upholstery and protection pack, sorted the scrappage, and a few other bits and pieces (mudflaps, mats and Roof Rack - don't ask!). Total value over £24K.

Three days later we got a call from the first dealership to ask if we wanted to arrange another test drive since we hadn't turned up for our appointment. What appointment? Oh, she must have forgotten to phone, oh well, would we like a test drive. Sorry, no - got fed up with trying to buy from you and signed contract with your competitor.

No problem - was the reply. Well, actually, madam, it really should be a problem that you've lost a 24K deal but have it your own way!

Pam S

Looks like some dealers just need the cash NOW and can't bear to wait - I think cash flow issues at the dealer is the reason for this. But if Toyota can't build them quickly enough they just have to wait.

Must be the luck of the draw with the dealerships. I must admit I didn't buy from my nearest dealer but this was possibly because the one I did buy from got their demonstrator (very) slightly sooner and the service I got from their salesman was superb. He did everything I asked and responded promptly to emails and did everything as requested. He offered all options including Sunroof (declined) and I even made a couple of changes after placing my order, all with no problems. Service was on a par, if not better than my last purchase (a Lexus).

elliotsdad, if you don't mind me asking which dealer did you use? (Kings at Hedge End?)

Yep, that's the one.

from what I'm reading the Prius is a big hit & creaming the Honda Insight to the extent that Toyota have cancelled plans for a cheaper, stripped down version for retail (apparently will still come out for fleets) & at least in the US they are putting prices up ...

from a dealer pov it's sell what you have/can get now rather than what you may get in x months (remember that scrappage money may have run out by then as well) so to a certain extent that's understandable. Not following up potential sales however isn't.

I know this sounds mad - but have any of you considered looking at Auto-trader / eBay? There are loads of T-Spirits and 2009 Prius' available at knock down prices! You may even find my one there! Heheheheh!

I know this sounds mad - but have any of you considered looking at Auto-trader / eBay? There are loads of T-Spirits and 2009 Prius' available at knock down prices! You may even find my one there! Heheheheh!

Welcome to the forum moocow. I know this sounds mad - but did you consider looking at my thread just a few places down entitled 'A Choice of Gen 3 Already On The Used Market?' In there I placed a link to the Autotrader website, and I detailed the price range the 21 listed cars were being advertised at. There were certainly none advertised at any "knockdown prices" contrary to what you state, hence why you have resorted to advertising on here as you clearly have had little interest on Autotrader or eBay. Heheheheh!

• 2 weeks later...
elliotsdad, if you don't mind me asking which dealer did you use? (Kings at Hedge End?)

Yep, that's the one.

That sounds good.

Am off for my test drive with them this weekend.

Response from dealers to my interest in a new Prius has ranged from Rapid to None.

Yep, that's the one.

That sounds good.

Am off for my test drive with them this weekend.

Response from dealers to my interest in a new Prius has ranged from Rapid to None.

The car I drove at Kings rattled like an old tea trolley and I told them so...... will be interesting if they have sorted the rattles out and the pressure in the tyres :unsure:

Hope it goes well :)

The car I drove at Kings rattled like an old tea trolley and I told them so...... will be interesting if they have sorted the rattles out and the pressure in the tyres :unsure:

No rattles on the one I drove.

I was so impressed, I ordered one.

Was then told about the upcoming price increase for cars delivered after 26th Oct. :(

Delivery approx 6 weeks so should be able to beat the Jan 1st VAT increase. :)

No rattles on the one I drove.

I was so impressed, I ordered one.

Was then told about the upcoming price increase for cars delivered after 26th Oct. :(

Delivery approx 6 weeks so should be able to beat the Jan 1st VAT increase. :)

What price increases are these?

What price increases are these?

According to the Toyota dealer, there is a price increase for Prius which comes in on Oct 26th.

For a T3, it is £700. I think it is more for T4 and Tspirit.

For orders taken before 25th Sep, there is no increase.

For orders between 25th Sep and 26th Oct the old price stands if delivered before 26th Oct.

For orders between 25th Sep and 26th Oct the old price stands if delivered before 26th Oct.

So if I understand correctly, I ordered my TSpirit on 29th August... and if it'd arrived before next week I'd have been good, but as it won't be delivered until end of December, I'll have to pay >£700 extra?

Sorry, just want to clarify.

So if I understand correctly, I ordered my TSpirit on 29th August... and if it'd arrived before next week I'd have been good, but as it won't be delivered until end of December, I'll have to pay >£700 extra?

Sorry, just want to clarify.

No.

If you ordered before the 25th Sep, then the price you negotiated with the dealer will stand regardless of when the car is delivered.

The new prices apply to cars ordered after 25th September and delivered after 26th October.

There is confirmation in the comments on the toyoya UK blog...

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-prius-everyth...ou-need-to-know

No.

If you ordered before the 25th Sep, then the price you negotiated with the dealer will stand regardless of when the car is delivered.

The new prices apply to cars ordered after 25th September and delivered after 26th October.

There is confirmation in the comments on the toyoya UK blog...

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-prius-everyth...ou-need-to-know

Great news, many thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links