Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Reliability?

donegal corolla

is it just me or has toyota's reliability become a issue with every year passing? remember the days of the old corollas and carina e and even the 2000 model avensis? was the introduction of vvt-i the cause of all this??? or am i the only one who is starting to have a few doubts??

i have a 2002 tspirit...had it for a year and before that my mum owned it from new.niether of us have had a single problem with the car and it still looks and drives like new.out of all the cars ive owned over the years the corolla is the one i have the most confindence in with regard to reliability.

*edit. just remebered i have had 1 problem. the baffles in the inlet manifold went causing a loud vibrating noise when driving...this could have been done by toyota F.O.C but my mum never took it for some strange reason. :wacko::huh:

my last 02 corolla T3 done 170000miles, with no problems at all!! the can still drive like new, very smooth. Anyway, crashed the car few months ago, so changed to a tsport

I think that it's more to do with the addition of numerous electrical sensors and systems that are all dependant on each other.

It may be vvti and vvt-li, but I think its what each system entails. I think that if Toyota didn't have to be so cautious with meeting emissions standards and tax brackets etc, we'd be using good old mechanical engines that are like old boots, not pretty but will always do the job well with no hassle.

That said, I have a 4A-GE which is clad with sensors and electrical systems yet its still as reliable as any old mechanical Toyota 1.3! :lol:

I think that it's more to do with the addition of numerous electrical sensors and systems that are all dependant on each other.

It may be vvti and vvt-li, but I think its what each system entails. I think that if Toyota didn't have to be so cautious with meeting emissions standards and tax brackets etc, we'd be using good old mechanical engines that are like old boots, not pretty but will always do the job well with no hassle.

That said, I have a 4A-GE which is clad with sensors and electrical systems yet its still as reliable as any old mechanical Toyota 1.3! :lol:

yea am not attacking toyota i am trying to say that wit all the stuff there putting in cars these days i hpoe they dont turn out to be like the vw's its unreal how much crap those cars have on them i use to work in a garage and have experienced workin on most cars like take the new vw passat for example you need to hook it up to a laptop to relaease the brake calipers!!!

yea am not attacking toyota i am trying to say that wit all the stuff there putting in cars these days i hpoe they dont turn out to be like the vw's its unreal how much crap those cars have on them i use to work in a garage and have experienced workin on most cars like take the new vw passat for example you need to hook it up to a laptop to relaease the brake calipers!!!

Yeh many of the German cars are now getting ridiculously hard to service and maintain. You cannot do it at home anymore, always has to be a professional jobbie.......

Can't see it being the engines at fault, thats the only bit that has never let me down on my corolla.

Its the quality of the materials used that concerns me, if the plastics used in the cabin are anything to go by then the rest of the car must be made from baked bean tins and milk bottle tops! park a RAV4 next to a Honda CR-V and its a mystery as to why anyone would by a toyota! The company is a ticking time bomb, it can't live off its past reputation for ever!

The funniest bit to me is the traction control and electric mirror buttons, they are exactly the same on my cousins old estima type thing apart from the button is for something different! i mean, come on toyota it was suppose to be your flagship hothatch! and ended up being a bit of a joke by other manufacturers standards!

is it just me or has toyota's reliability become a issue with every year passing? remember the days of the old corollas and carina e and even the 2000 model avensis? was the introduction of vvt-i the cause of all this??? or am i the only one who is starting to have a few doubts??

Most pre 2000 cars are much better made than post 2000 ones, it seems to me that nowadays they only make cars to last 5 years (if your lucky!!). Its all to do with banging them out and making the most profit. :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links