Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heuston I Have A Problem ?

faolteam

I have a Toyota Avensis 1.6 saloon and I am a Taxi driver,

I did notice this week that the car was taking a while to heat up than normal, but just thought it was the cold weather eventually it would come on.

I went to the local newsagent today its about a half mile away and when I got back to the house, as I was getting out of the car I noticed a stream of oil on the ground .

I immediately went to the front of the car and there was some oil dripping down but when I started the car it came out faster, I really didn’t have a clue but knew to turn of engine just incase any way I looked in at the engine and could see it dripping from the oil filter on closer investigation I noticed that the filter was loose, I tightened and when I did it stopped any leaking even when the car was running,

I thought I had solved the problem and about a hour later I went up the road again but this time my temperature dial was very high, I came back didn’t see any steam and the heating was cold, I came back out and started it up again and the temp was ok ,

anyway even later that day I had to go out again about a mile away, I noticed that my idle was very high up near the 2 rather than under the 1, so I drove it and she didn’t seem herself anyway I then noticed the temperature rising again, so I headed home again and when I lifted the engine I could hear a hissing sound I noticed that the water coolant was completely empty does any one know what might be wrong here I must say that I have noticed before any of this happened that the handbrake light on the dial was staying on for a while even though the handbrake was not on

Any clues or help would be great thanks. :rolleyes:

Head gasket?

i guess it could be,

anything i should do in the mean time,

if i put coolant in will it just flow out of it ,

i noticed the top of one of the plugs cover had what looked like an oil stain,

i really dont know what to do

i just filled up the container to the full mark with coolant and it didnt come out

i started the engine i have noticed bubbles in the container when the engine is running

i am going to bring it for a drive again i see how it works out

Sounds very much like the head gasket has gone belly up or even possibly a cracked head or cylinder block. Could the engine coolant have frozen at some point??:)

The bubbles in the header tank mean that the system is pressurising which points to head gasket failure, the more you use it the worse things will get unfortunately, you might be lucky and just need the head/block faces checking and fit a new head gasket, running it longer could distort the head, or worse seize the engine :(

Sounds very much like the head gasket has gone belly up or even possibly a cracked head or cylinder block. Could the engine coolant have frozen at some point??:)

Well i dont know is the answer but i do get it serviced regulary so i would have expected it not to have frozen and that the anti freeze was in it

The bubbles in the header tank mean that the system is pressurising which points to head gasket failure, the more you use it the worse things will get unfortunately, you might be lucky and just need the head/block faces checking and fit a new head gasket, running it longer could distort the head, or worse seize the engine :(

can you tell me if the head gasket is a big job ???? or worse is the cracked cylinder even bigger job,

also i noticed the handbrake switch light was staying on even though it was down it would stay on for a few secs then go off

Hello,

The problem that you tell is certain that is the head gasket, and it seens to me that the problem as is sorce in the leaking oil so if i was you i see if the mecanic that done service has done it well if not you sould not pay to get your car fix.

And if is one of the above prob it is a big JOB it will be expensive.

Best luck

Hello,

The problem that you tell is certain that is the head gasket, and it seens to me that the problem as is sorce in the leaking oil so if i was you i see if the mecanic that done service has done it well if not you sould not pay to get your car fix.

Best luck

well i have been with my mechanice for 5 years now and i never had a prob like that , i dont like blaming people unless im definitley sure

Hello,

Best luck

well i have been with my mechanice for 5 years now and i never had a prob like that , i dont like blaming people unless im definitley sure

Yes you are right, but every one have a bad day, but it also could be a problem of the gasket of the filtre. Look other think that you sould know is that if you seen the oil on the ground of the house you sould seen the level of oil and may be this problem could not occurer.

Best of luck to your problem

im not to sure what you mean and it seems the only way i will find out for sure is when a mechanic loooks at it

i have one question can the oil filter come loose under pressure ??

and would the hand brake light coming on have any bearing on this

as i did notice the car took a long time to heat up

is this any good

In a word.............NO!

That is no substitute for a replacement head gasket if yours has failed.

You really need to get some professional mechanics help (especially if you use your car as a taxi, as it will be unreliable and needs fixing)

Did you notice all the oilstains under that guys car on the video when he pulled away?............Do not waste your money on it!!

My Car is 10 year old do u think its worth getting it fixed now

is this any good

In a word.............NO!

That is no substitute for a replacement head gasket if yours has failed.

You really need to get some professional mechanics help (especially if you use your car as a taxi, as it will be unreliable and needs fixing)

Did you notice all the oilstains under that guys car on the video when he pulled away?............Do not waste your money on it!!

I did notice this week that the car was taking a while to heat up than normal, but just thought it was the cold weather eventually it would come on.

I went to the local newsagent today its about a half mile away and when I got back to the house, as I was getting out of the car I noticed a stream of oil on the ground .

I immediately went to the front of the car and there was some oil dripping down but when I started the car it came out faster, I really didn’t have a clue but knew to turn of engine just incase any way I looked in at the engine and could see it dripping from the oil filter on closer investigation I noticed that the filter was loose, I tightened and when I did it stopped any leaking even when the car was running,

I thought I had solved the problem and about a hour later I went up the road again but this time my temperature dial was very high, I came back didn’t see any steam and the heating was cold, I came back out and started it up again and the temp was ok ,

anyway even later that day I had to go out again about a mile away, I noticed that my idle was very high up near the 2 rather than under the 1, so I drove it and she didn’t seem herself anyway I then noticed the temperature rising again, so I headed home again and when I lifted the engine I could hear a hissing sound I noticed that the water coolant was completely empty does any one know what might be wrong here I must say that I have noticed before any of this happened that the handbrake light on the dial was staying on for a while even though the handbrake was not on

Hi

Why not have someone complete a Combustion Leak Detection test, It's checking to see if there any Hydrocarbons in the cooling system, Very quick and easy test.. Your mechanic could do this for you.

Can pm me anytime.

Carl

mechanic just rang says its a water pump thats gone

is that a big job ?? or expensive he said he would strip it down would tak a hour, and try and get the part

Hi

Why not have someone complete a Combustion Leak Detection test, It's checking to see if there any Hydrocarbons in the cooling system, Very quick and easy test.. Your mechanic could do this for you.

Can pm me anytime.

Carl

Have you got your waterpump changed? Please tell us. Is the problem with the temperature gone?

The oilfilter would not come loose by pressure. I believe it has come loose by vibrations. Was it long time since you had your car serviced?

I am very doubtful that the handbrake light, oil filter and the loss of coolant has any connection with each other.

Take your car to a garage and let them fix the car. I changed my headgasket last April. It took some time, but was not that difficult. To do that by yourself you need to know what you do and have the tools too.

Hi folks yes got water pump replaced and its going fine now

yes im not sure about the oil filter but im getting a service done next week thansk a lot lads

:D

Have you got your waterpump changed? Please tell us. Is the problem with the temperature gone?

The oilfilter would not come loose by pressure. I believe it has come loose by vibrations. Was it long time since you had your car serviced?

I am very doubtful that the handbrake light, oil filter and the loss of coolant has any connection with each other.

Take your car to a garage and let them fix the car. I changed my headgasket last April. It took some time, but was not that difficult. To do that by yourself you need to know what you do and have the tools too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links