Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knackered Gearbox

Space Monkey

Morning,

Been having some clunking noises coming from my gearbox when changing from 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd.

Bit of research and it looks like its the synchro cones, how big of a job is this to do? my mechanic says you need 3 days on a ramp so he cant do it, but could i try an oil change for a short term fix....how short term could this be? if i can get another year out of my car i'd be happy but after that i will probs get rid. its a 95 gen6 jap import by the way.

Appreciate a bit of advice, ive got a wedding to save for and £250 is pretty much all of my personal savings and i wanted it for something a bit more fun than a gearbox. is a gearbox change quicker than a gearbox stripdown? cos ive seen one on eBay for £110 all in

ok little extra, im not going to bother with the gearbox replace and i cant really afford the cone replacement if i can aviod it.

im going to try some thicker oil and hope it absorbs some of the strain on the cones along with some double-declutching.

does anyone know which/any oils that could help

ive seen someone saying Redline MTL or Redline MT-90 would work but are they suitable for my car and more importantly, shich would be better for my situation?

ive read about 100 threads on this and cannot find anywhere saying how much oil im going to need.

my mechanic said 2 litres but i did see somewhere someone saying 2.4ltrs for a ST202.

its an extra 15quid for another litre, do i need it?

this has took up my morning, hope no1 in work is watching lol

thanks again guys really appreciate if someone can get back to me

My 2nd gear synchro has gone, I tried changing the gear oil and sticking some of the additives in and it did work, for about 2 days.

Ive got a replacement gearbox to go in now though. If your buying a replacement box try and get the lowest mileage one possible, rebuilds are very very expensive but at leats you know the condition of the box.

im starting to think its not the gearbox at all mate, it seems to be somewhere on the suspension. its a knocking noise not a grinding. and it only happens when the car is in gear, at low speeds

could it be a CV boot causing the driveshaft to clunk? or maybe a strut?

what kind of noise was yours making, and when did it occur?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine makes a slight grinding/nicking type noise when changing into 2nd gear.

Is it coming from the front of the car??

Could be a cv joint, does it do it when turning on full lock at very low speed??

Does it clunk when going over small bumps and also does it creak??

If yours has superstrut suspension then its very likely to be the fig 8 which has gone, this needs changing along with the lower arm, unfortunately it aint cheap, £80 for the fig 8 and around £270 for the arm.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links