Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clicking Noise From Wheels

jim shady

On driving out of the car park at work today I heard a clicking noise that got quicker as the wheels rotated faster.

It's not noticable once you are over 15mph, but below that speed it is.

I've checked the wheels on the side I hear the noise from and cannot find anything stuck to the tyres that would

make a noise.

The noise can be heard on the drver's side.

Anyone any ideas before I go to Toyota?

Sounds like a nail or stone in the tyre, needs to go up on a 4 post ramp so you can spin all 4 wheels.

Rather than Mr T why not drop into a tyre place and ask them to have a look for you?

Yeah, I suppose that makes more sense than running straight to the expensive people.

There's a local Kwik Fit I can nip into and ask.

Was just worried it may have been something more that a nail.

If you have the time you can just jack up a corner and spin the wheel to check it. Don't forget to either chock the wheels though.

There is a chance Kwik-Fit may charge you if they are asked to investigate the noise.

u might want to check the tightness of the wheel bolts,

i heard a clicking noise from my wheels a while ago and it turned out to be the bolts being a bit loose

Does the sound disappear when you apply the brakes lightly?

If so, it might be the brakepads rattling in the calipers; on my

DeLorean it did the same when one of the springs on the pads broke...

I know this sounds silly... but is it similar to that sort of sound you get when a twig gets stuck in the wheel? Can happen quite a lot in the Summer, and it's particularly noticeable with the window down... but this normally carries on above 15 mph. But as some of the others are saying, it could be a nail or something. Hope you get to the bottom of it anyway!! :)

I know this sounds silly... but is it similar to that sort of sound you get when a twig gets stuck in the wheel? Can happen quite a lot in the Summer, and it's particularly noticeable with the window down... but this normally carries on above 15 mph. But as some of the others are saying, it could be a nail or something. Hope you get to the bottom of it anyway!! :)

Have you tried reversing your car for a few meters? I had a similar problem before and it turned out a small stone had got caught between the break pad and disc, and reversing the car got rid of it.

Ben

Hi,

I can hear this sound also on my Aygo. I have spoken with my friend and that happens also on hers. She went in Toyota and they didn't found anything wrong.

I hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Bye.

No cable ties on hubcaps, bolts are all tight.

I'm used to the tapping of the engine, so it's not that.

It's now only clicking when turning left!?! Weird.

I'm off work tomorrow, so I'll have a good look around/behind the wheels and if I still cannot see

anything I'll pop up to Kwik Fit and see if they'll pop it on the ramps and have a look see.

Although it's not a big issue it's driving me demented!

Stone in the driver side front wheel that is wearing down over time I think so that it now only occurs when it is put pressure on by a left turn.

Who knows though, really this is a none issue to be honest, best left between you and your garage.

Andy

Possibly the CV joint. Worth getting a garage to check it out ASAP.

A few years ago there was a clicking sound from my Fiat Punto (don't judge me), I left it for a few weeks thinking it was nothing serious. Then the diff shattered blowing a fist sized hole in the side of the gearbox!!

You still haven't answered if the sound goes away when braking.

Originally the noise was quicker/slower in relation to how fast.slow I was driving.

Now it is only audible when turning left and it now sounds more distinctive like a metalic clicking.

Just spent the past 5 minutes in the local multi-story car park on the top floor driving backwards

and forwards and in circles and it only happens when turning left and stops when I brake/stop.

I thoroughly checked all tyres and there is nothing visible trapped/embedded into them.

I am off on holiday next week, so I might book it in with Mr T to see if they can find the issue.

I reckon I must be about due some new brake pads anyway, so I'l get these done and ask them to

check the noise issue also.

Actually, I wonder if the pads being worn/needing changed could have any relation to this noise?

Originally the noise was quicker/slower in relation to how fast.slow I was driving.

Now it is only audible when turning left and it now sounds more distinctive like a metalic clicking.

Just spent the past 5 minutes in the local multi-story car park on the top floor driving backwards

and forwards and in circles and it only happens when turning left and stops when I brake/stop.

I thoroughly checked all tyres and there is nothing visible trapped/embedded into them.

I am off on holiday next week, so I might book it in with Mr T to see if they can find the issue.

I reckon I must be about due some new brake pads anyway, so I'l get these done and ask them to

check the noise issue also.

Actually, I wonder if the pads being worn/needing changed could have any relation to this noise?

I had a clicking noise from my Aygo's wheels and went for a run with the local MrT workshop controller, who smiled when he heard it, took it it into the workshop and half an hour later it was back and the noise had gone.

I believe it was either brake pad or shim chatter and cured by application of Copaslip.

I also have heard the tiny "back plates" behind the discs can sometimes rub on the discs, or so I have been told.

Since the sound stops when you brake, I'm pretty sure it's the moving of the pads that you're hearing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links