Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uncomfortable Driving Seat & Water Leaks In Boot

sproutdreamer

hi

03 1.8 Avensis (older style body) - I realize that this is a basic car but the drivers seat is so hard. Is there anything I can do about this as it is so bad it is damaging my back. Thought of trying to get a seat from a newer car (breakers yard) but not sure if that would fit or if they are any better padded. Grateful for any advice what to do as apart from this I like the car.

Also have water leaks from rain (not underbody/road water) into boot well at drivers side - is this a known issue and again any ideas on sorting this?

any seat could be made to fit your car.

However modfications would be needed.

Mainly the RACK that holds the seat down may need to be changed from your older seat to the new one.

so without having a garage reweld for you, its not an easy job.

However why dont you see a person who reupolsters seats, maybe they can put sofer material in.

hi

03 1.8 Avensis (older style body) - I realize that this is a basic car but the drivers seat is so hard. Is there anything I can do about this as it is so bad it is damaging my back. Thought of trying to get a seat from a newer car (breakers yard) but not sure if that would fit or if they are any better padded. Grateful for any advice what to do as apart from this I like the car.

Also have water leaks from rain (not underbody/road water) into boot well at drivers side - is this a known issue and again any ideas on sorting this?

Water leak is probably from the gutter channels. The seam between the roof panel and side panel (under the gutter trim) gets a hairline split in the original panel sealer and rainwater creeps in and down the inside of the side pillars where it drips off into the boot, filling the toolwell on the drivers side and the well at the opposite side. When these are full it runs accross the boot floor and into the spare wheel well. (all this is out of sight behind the trims)

The split is only about 1 inch long or so but water creeps through under capillary action. There are a few threads on here about it, seems to be fairly common.

• 2 years later...

Update : I have found that the water is leaking under the seal that goes around the lip of the hatchback. This is just a push fit with no adhesive at all. The water may get under the seal anywhere but it is exiting under the seal on the RHS, centre and LHS of the bootom of the hatch opening where the different body panels join and there is a noticeable lip at these locations. This nicely fills the driver side jack wee, spare wheel well and the well at the nearside not so much.

I have treated all the gutter joins with Captain Tolleys crack sealer and I have a large tube of polysulphide mastic and gun awating for the gluing tomorrow.

I will post back wheher this works!

For those who say why not get a new seal-£127 good reasons from Mr T.

Quote:- "Captain Tolleys crack sealer" ..... there has to a joke in there somewhere .... the wife may know ..... errmm :no: !

Pete.

No that is serious-Capt Tolleys s is revered in the boating world as superb at stopping leaks through fine cracks. It seeps ininto the crack following the water path and then sets into a hard water insoluble laquer. It needs a few applications but really works for hair line cracks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links